Which tool to use for translation of 200 resx files
Thread poster: L10N expert (X)
David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:56
French to English
+ ...
Yes, that's it Jan 12, 2015

I suppose you have the option in DVX to then filter different individual files in different ways on their own and for some content this might be useful. Is this what you see as the advantage?

You might want to work on one particular file open in one tab and then switch to all the all files view filtered in some particular way or sorted alphabetically in the tab alongside, just by clicking on the tab, or vice versa.
The advantage is speed and flexibility. You switch from one view to another just by clicking on the tab alongside. You don't have to do any "navigating", closing and opening files or views in another pane or another window.
I don't know Studio well enough to be sure of the way it works but it does sound rather like memoQ where you can't have an all files view open in a tab alongside any particular document in another tab. It takes at least six clicks to switch from one view to another and back as against just two clicks in DVX3 (one click to the tab alongside and one click to take you back to where you were).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I see... Jan 12, 2015

... and as Emma mentioned you can run as many instances of Studio as your PC will allow and use different instances to achieve this (just tried with half a dozen to see how it performed), but I agree this isn't the same level of flexibility.

I had a quick play with DVX3 to see how this worked out of interest. Is there a way to see which file you are in when you have them all open in one? This is straightforward in Studio but I could not see how to do this in DVX, so I just had a l
... See more
... and as Emma mentioned you can run as many instances of Studio as your PC will allow and use different instances to achieve this (just tried with half a dozen to see how it performed), but I agree this isn't the same level of flexibility.

I had a quick play with DVX3 to see how this worked out of interest. Is there a way to see which file you are in when you have them all open in one? This is straightforward in Studio but I could not see how to do this in DVX, so I just had a long list of segments with no markers to tell me when one file ended and another started. Maybe this is one reason you need to be able to open them separately?

However, I'm not convinced how useful this is for the majority of texts. I guess it's one of those features that when you have it you find a way to make it work and it becomes very efficient for you. But when you don't, you probably won't miss it either... unless you had it before!

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
multiple file view as default Jan 12, 2015

It was approx. 15 years ago when I used a CAT tool for the first time with multiple files (and several file types). I tested all CAT tools available before starting the project, none was like DVX.

Created a project, easily imported hundreds of files and finished the project much earlier than the other translators in the project.

If there is only 1 or 2 files in a project I can use any CAT tool, but when it comes to large projects with hundreds or even thousands of files
... See more
It was approx. 15 years ago when I used a CAT tool for the first time with multiple files (and several file types). I tested all CAT tools available before starting the project, none was like DVX.

Created a project, easily imported hundreds of files and finished the project much earlier than the other translators in the project.

If there is only 1 or 2 files in a project I can use any CAT tool, but when it comes to large projects with hundreds or even thousands of files it is a DVX project.
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
The name of the file you are in... Jan 12, 2015

... is displayed clearly in the bottom left hand corner. I guess Atril could add markers to indicate where one file ends and another file begins but don't forget that the view open in the tab doesn't have to be the all-files view: you could have a view of all the fuzzy matches of document A in one tab and a view of all the empty segments of document B in another tab.

For the all-files view you could add a bookmark at the beginning of each file and then jump between them by pressing
... See more
... is displayed clearly in the bottom left hand corner. I guess Atril could add markers to indicate where one file ends and another file begins but don't forget that the view open in the tab doesn't have to be the all-files view: you could have a view of all the fuzzy matches of document A in one tab and a view of all the empty segments of document B in another tab.

For the all-files view you could add a bookmark at the beginning of each file and then jump between them by pressing F2.

I remember seeing conversations like this in the old "CAT fight" days between TWB and DV. TWB users could never see the advantages of DV's dedicated environment, grid and powerful sorting and filtering capabilities. And lo and behold, along came memoQ and Studio, which look and feel very like... DV

Rds,
Dave
Collapse

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No limit on the number of files in OmegaT, and no gluing either Jan 12, 2015

David Turner wrote:
All other tools either only let you work on one file at a time or seem to involve clumsy "gluing together" of files or fairly laborious setting up of pseudo views which have to be closed before you can open any individual document.

That's not the case of OmegaT.
You can have an unlimited number of files in the /source folder (including in nested folders). No conversion into an intermediate format occurs, and there's no "gluing" involved either.

Didier

[Edited at 2015-01-12 15:16 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
copycats? Jan 12, 2015

David Turner wrote:

I remember seeing conversations like this in the old "CAT fight" days between TWB and DV. TWB users could never see the advantages of DV's dedicated environment, grid and powerful sorting and filtering capabilities. And lo and behold, along came memoQ and Studio, which look and feel very like... DV

Hi Dave,

A copyCAT is still a CAT, nothing wrong with it. We all know marketing is important. Even 10-year old features can be marketed as great new features.

Almost all features of DVX were copied by some other tools, so I will not be surprised to see "default project view" in all tools, sooner or later.

I really can see only two programs which develop groundbreaking features, DVX and CafeTran.

Anyway, back to the topic, this is a project for DVX only.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Along came... Jan 12, 2015

David Turner wrote:
And lo and behold, along came memoQ and Studio, which look and feel very like... DV

... SDLX and Idiom Desktop too... questionable who was really first in those days! But interesting out of everything which tools became the standard. I think one of the factors is that most Translators are not as technically driven as those who really appreciate the finer qualities of tools like these, nor do they need them.

Regards

Paul

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Not really questionable... Jan 12, 2015

... SDLX and Idiom Desktop too... questionable who was really first in those days!

Idiom was at one time in partnership with Atril and purchased Atril technology: Desktop started life as a de-tuned version of DVX. SDL then purchased Idiom.

SDLX (1999?) was preceded by DV (1993) by quite a long chalk but as Selcuk says, there's no real law against copycats.

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Jan 12, 2015

You can have an unlimited number of files in the /source folder (including in nested folders). No conversion into an intermediate format occurs, and there's no "gluing" involved either.

... can you, with OmegaT, view, filter, alphabetically sort and work on the 200 files as if they were merged into one big file? That would be a new one on me.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
It depends... Jan 12, 2015

David Turner wrote:

... can you, with OmegaT, view, filter, alphabetically sort and work on the 200 files as if they were merged into one big file? That would be a new one on me.

on what you want to do. You can only have one file at a given time in the Editor.

When working linearly, switching from one file to another is transparent (Enter from the end of a file goes to the next one, Previous Segment from the beginning of a file goes to the previous file).
You can sort the files on several criteria, or even manually.
You can search in all 200 files as if they were a single file.
You can apply filters on all 200 files as if they were a single file.
You can search and replace in all 200 files as if they were a single file.

Didier

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You're still short of info ;-) Jan 12, 2015

David Turner wrote:

... SDLX and Idiom Desktop too... questionable who was really first in those days!

Idiom was at one time in partnership with Atril and purchased Atril technology: Desktop started life as a de-tuned version of DVX. SDL then purchased Idiom.

SDLX (1999?) was preceded by DV (1993) by quite a long chalk but as Selcuk says, there's no real law against copycats.

What about Amphion who develolped Amptran? SDL purchased them in 1995 and based much of SDLX on this. Were Amphion there before DV? Who knows? Two things are for sure though, first there's no law against copycats (unless they break an enforcible patent!), and second we know who succeeded and owned the marketplace today

Regards

Paul

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
A third thing is for sure... Jan 12, 2015

What about Amphion who develolped Amptran? SDL purchased them in 1995 and based much of SDLX on this. Were Amphion there before DV? Who knows?

... no one was ever going to copy SDLX. It was a pretty awful product and is certainly a dead duck today.

Two things are for sure though, first there's no law against copycats (unless they break an enforcible patent!), and second we know who succeeded and owned the marketplace

Interesting use of the past tense ("owned"). Who knows what the future will bring?
I think I translated at least 1000 words less today than normal. All your fault

Regards
Dave

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
I know the answer Jan 12, 2015

SDL Support wrote:

and second we know who succeeded and owned the marketplace today

Regards

Paul

It is (and it will be) memoQ. Well, bad news for SDL.

Kilgray copied your marketing as well

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
OmegaT Jan 12, 2015

OmegaT can import files even in nested folders (subfolders), good for project creation. But there is no single project view or glue function. At least a glue function is required.

Enter (or Tab) opens the new file in the project and file name is displayed. All good but for small projects consisting of a few files only. It is just better than closing a file tab, and opening a new one with some clicks.

I believe a single project view will be implemented by all CAT tools a
... See more
OmegaT can import files even in nested folders (subfolders), good for project creation. But there is no single project view or glue function. At least a glue function is required.

Enter (or Tab) opens the new file in the project and file name is displayed. All good but for small projects consisting of a few files only. It is just better than closing a file tab, and opening a new one with some clicks.

I believe a single project view will be implemented by all CAT tools and OmegaT should do it as well (very nice features in the recent builds).

Search window, yes, very powerful with plenty of options but it is not the editor view. You need to open it on a second monitor. And you cannot apply a second, third filter in the search results.

I could not find the sort alphabetically option. Hope it is not limited to file names only.
Project>Project Files

OmegaT is still a good option to use in this project: first of all it is free, learning curve not so steep, it has a nicely organised GUI, and (although I did not test it) I believe its resx filter is good.

But a single view...

Selcuk
Collapse

Fiach Reid
Fiach Reid
Ireland
Online RESX translator May 17, 2019

RESX files are effectively just XML files, and can be editied in any text editor, you just scroll down to the last resheader element, where the actual text to be translated is present. You should also only translate between the tags, not what is written in the "name" attribute, which is how the software refers to the text, and is not to be translated.

There are several software pack
... See more
RESX files are effectively just XML files, and can be editied in any text editor, you just scroll down to the last resheader element, where the actual text to be translated is present. You should also only translate between the tags, not what is written in the "name" attribute, which is how the software refers to the text, and is not to be translated.

There are several software packages available to download such as POEditor https://poeditor.com/kb/resx-editor or an online tool called RESX Translate at https://www.resxtranslate.com

When saving the resx file, pay attention to the encoding, if you are translating in Russian, Greek, Hebrew etc, then ANSI encoding can screw it up. Even certain letters in czech, slovak and polish can be outside of the latin charachter set.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which tool to use for translation of 200 resx files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »