Which CAT tool(s) is the most effective and efficient for complex math equations
Thread poster: jssco90
jssco90
jssco90
United States
Local time: 10:48
French to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2019

Hello,

I would like to know which CAT tool would best help me translate high level mathametical book. I'm particularly concerned about the symbols and equations. Which CAT tools would help me preserve the complex math symbols and equations.

Thanks in advance

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Unicode Apr 28, 2019

Modern CATs support Unicode for special chars, so it's not a problem.

However, what exactly your issue: LaTeX? MS Word formulae? Or something else?
We never translated equations, often marking them as untranslatable or saving it as pictures to prevent editing.

jssco90
jssco90
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying and pasting the equations from original to translated version Apr 28, 2019

I translated a lot of math content with the help of MATE cat; however, when it downloads my translation as a Microsoft Word document, I lose all the equations. Then when I try to copy the equations from the original PDF in Adobe and paste them into the translated document (whether it is doc or pdf), it simply does not work. I have to include the equations, symbols and graphs in the translated version. Since MATE cat does not reproduce the equations, how can I copy them from the original docume... See more
I translated a lot of math content with the help of MATE cat; however, when it downloads my translation as a Microsoft Word document, I lose all the equations. Then when I try to copy the equations from the original PDF in Adobe and paste them into the translated document (whether it is doc or pdf), it simply does not work. I have to include the equations, symbols and graphs in the translated version. Since MATE cat does not reproduce the equations, how can I copy them from the original document and paste them into the translated document?
Something that appears so simple is presenting a lot of difficulties for me.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not a CAT issue Apr 28, 2019

I'm afraid, it's not a CAT only issue, because (1) a PDF is mostly a DTP product not intended for editing and (2) there's no 100% equivalence between any different formats.

We used clean snapshots/pictures, adding relevant tags for searching.

The problem with editable equations is rather searchable and still not really solvable for the only almost* sure-fire way to copy a formula from one format to some other is... recreating the formula, alas.
... See more
I'm afraid, it's not a CAT only issue, because (1) a PDF is mostly a DTP product not intended for editing and (2) there's no 100% equivalence between any different formats.

We used clean snapshots/pictures, adding relevant tags for searching.

The problem with editable equations is rather searchable and still not really solvable for the only almost* sure-fire way to copy a formula from one format to some other is... recreating the formula, alas. It does take more time, so just charge your client accordingly)
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
German to English
Probably no CAT solution Apr 28, 2019

From your description, you appear to be working with pdf files the source of which which may have been created either via DTP or by distilling from Word. The embedded equations are images which do not lend themselves to translation by CAT tools, as another poster has indicated. In such cases, I've used the "snapshot" feature of Adobe Acrobat (available in older editions, I can't say whether it's currently available) to copy and paste the original equation into my target document (indicated by a ... See more
From your description, you appear to be working with pdf files the source of which which may have been created either via DTP or by distilling from Word. The embedded equations are images which do not lend themselves to translation by CAT tools, as another poster has indicated. In such cases, I've used the "snapshot" feature of Adobe Acrobat (available in older editions, I can't say whether it's currently available) to copy and paste the original equation into my target document (indicated by a dummy placeholder in the translation). I'm surprised this hasn't worked for you.
When working with Word documents with embedded equations (created in Word), I've sometimes had success with MemoQ.

I suspect that you will have to use an equation editor to recreate your equations. Until relatively recently, this was a module in MS Word. There are commercially-available equation editors available, and, for all I know, freeware/shareware products as well.
Good luck!
Collapse

jssco90
jssco90
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy and pasting equations Adobe Apr 28, 2019

Thanks for your guys' input and suggestions.

I have attempted to use Adobe's snapshot feature; unfortunately, it was to no avail. I first used it to paste the equations into the translated doc file. It did work for a few equations, but for most, it did not. I also attempted to use the snapshot to copy and paste from the original PDF file into the target file (which I converted to PDF) and that did not work at all.

Should I request that the orginal file be in DOC format?
... See more
Thanks for your guys' input and suggestions.

I have attempted to use Adobe's snapshot feature; unfortunately, it was to no avail. I first used it to paste the equations into the translated doc file. It did work for a few equations, but for most, it did not. I also attempted to use the snapshot to copy and paste from the original PDF file into the target file (which I converted to PDF) and that did not work at all.

Should I request that the orginal file be in DOC format? Wouldn't that resolve the problem of having to reproduce all of the equations and graphs on my own?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:48
German to English
Word doc might be a solution Apr 29, 2019

j
snip

Should I request that the orginal file be in DOC format? Wouldn't that resolve the problem of having to reproduce all of the equations and graphs on my own?

If your client is an agency, you might not get the source DOC file, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, especially since I have the impression that this is a long file. It may be that the equations are also images, but if they are, they should be easier to copy into your target file.

I find it odd, however, that the client has requested a pdf file. Normally a translation is checked by another set of eyes, and Word documents are easier to edit. I know that clients sometimes want a pdf anyway, but they're harder to edit.

Adam Warren

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:48
Member (2005)
French to English
Use a PDF to DOC converter Apr 29, 2019

Not mainly for the the text in this case, but chiefly to capture the equations in a Word environment. For this, you should set the conversion parameters (settings) so that embedded images are not converted by OCR. I use Nuance Power PDF, which I find to be the most useful software for this purpose. I run Windows 7 on a 64-bit Dell machine. I have yet to explore the capabilities of Studio 2019 for handling equations, although I suspect that compiling each from scratch is lengthy and, in any case,... See more
Not mainly for the the text in this case, but chiefly to capture the equations in a Word environment. For this, you should set the conversion parameters (settings) so that embedded images are not converted by OCR. I use Nuance Power PDF, which I find to be the most useful software for this purpose. I run Windows 7 on a 64-bit Dell machine. I have yet to explore the capabilities of Studio 2019 for handling equations, although I suspect that compiling each from scratch is lengthy and, in any case, may lie outside your client's requirements - do check this point, though, with the client.

I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - translator 41189)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is the original format? Apr 29, 2019

jssco90 wrote:
When I try to copy the equations from the original PDF in Adobe...

PDF is, itself, an export format. If you wish to retain the equations, you may have to figure out what the original format was, and then translate the original file (the file that was used to generate the PDF file from). Do you know what the original format is, and do you have access to files in the original format? Or did the client just send you PDFs and expected you to deliver formatted DOC(X) files in return?

It is entirely possible that despite all your efforts to reproduce the equations in DOC(X) format, the client's DTP officer is simply going to ignore it and retain the equations that are already in the original file (and attempt to update the translatable bits of it). In other words, the client isn't going to send your DOC(X) file to the printers; instead, her DTP officer will copy/paste text from the DOC(X) file into their own DTP software. Ask the client if it would be okay for you to just refer to the equations using textual descriptions, and/or by pasting screenshots of it.

[Edited at 2019-04-29 06:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool(s) is the most effective and efficient for complex math equations

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »