Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >
难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)
Thread poster: Zhoudan
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
吃水不忘挖井人 Nov 4, 2009

ysun wrote:

无论如何,你母亲和她的钢琴为培养新艺术家和创作新作品作出了不可磨灭的贡献。你父亲以及其他许许多多的归国学者也是一样。 我的一个亲戚是1963年从北航毕业的。应该说,他也是你父亲的学生。 当时他用的很多教科书都是外文的,因为中国的教科书还没编出来。 后来他成了三线一个军工厂的厂长。 我刚到北京上大学时,他带我在北航校园里转了一大圈。 我家与北航有缘。我大儿子是北航附中毕业的。:)

Yueyin,

对, 那时的讲义基本都是教授们一字一句写出来的, 大概比翻译还要辛苦. 一章章写完之后, 再送到北航的印刷所去印刷. 所以我看到现今百度百科上对这些老一代知识分子的贡献评价很多都是很高的, 其内容大概都是由他们的同事和学生们撰写的. 比如我父亲, 他很多同事都是他教过的留校生.

北航附中最初是由航院附小的毕业生逐渐升上去建立的, 记得是从我前面两、三届开始的. 所以教我们的一些资深的附小老师也一起转成为中学老师. 后来这些附中学校越办越好, 名声越来越大.

我那时报考初中, 第二志愿填的是清华附中, 报考高中时, 第二志愿填的是北大附中. 我这个人是不会瞎报的, 况且都要经班主任老师过目点头. 所以可以想象这些中学后来教学质量上提高的幅度之大; 这与有强大的金融后盾大概也是分不开的. 但此前 一零一和 四中 比这些好学校又要更胜一筹, 否则我也不会将这两个学校前后分别填为第一志愿的.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 14:37 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
北京航空航天大学附属中学 Nov 5, 2009

如今是一流学校 ...

http://www.bhfz.com/Index.htm

北京航空航天大学附属中学(简称北航附中)隶属于北京航空航天大学,创建于1960年,坐落在景色秀丽、文化气息浓厚的北航大学校园内,是一所全日制完全中学。学校始终遵循“文明、团结、勤奋、求实”的校训,坚持“德育为先导,教学为中心,全面发展,办有特色”的办学宗旨,以端正敦厚的校风、严谨务实的教风、团结勤奋的学风及其优异的教育教学成绩培养了大批优秀初高中毕业生,其渊源的历史、雄厚的师资蜚声京城。学校拥有一支师德高尚、学识渊博、富有创新精神和实践能力、高学历、高水平的教职员工队伍。现有特级教师2人,高级教师66人,北京市及海淀区学科带头人、骨干教师、班主任带头人17人。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
光阴似箭 Nov 5, 2009

Steve,

老一辈知识分子经历坎坷,但他们的功勋将流芳百世!

你上的一零一中和四中都是顶尖学校。谢谢你介绍北航附中。我大儿子是在北航附中上的高中。 他考初中时成绩也够四中录取标准了,但因没有北京户口不能上,只能在一所较差的学校借读。 不久后我就正式调入北京,所以他上四中的机会可谓是失之交臂。为此我内疚了好几年。

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
心理障碍 Nov 5, 2009

wherestip wrote:

Besides all the above, I have no plans of ever leaving the United States.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 22:38 GMT]

心理阴影?

阔别多年,回中国看看新变化嘛,这年代不会再发生一回而不能返的事。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Final goal Nov 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

谢谢你介绍北航附中。我大儿子是在北航附中上的高中。 他考初中时成绩也够四中录取标准了,但因没有北京户口不能上,只能在一所较差的学校借读。 不久后我就正式调入北京,所以他上四中的机会可谓是失之交臂。为此我内疚了好几年。

As they say, "All roads lead to Rome". I know you are very happy about how things turned out in the end. I'm happy for you too

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
travel Nov 5, 2009

redred wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Besides all the above, I have no plans of ever leaving the United States.

心理阴影?

阔别多年,回中国看看新变化嘛,这年代不会再发生一回而不能返的事。

redred,

No, I meant I don't have any plans for moving to another country. The only reason I haven't visited China so far is because I don't like to travel.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
All roads lead to America Nov 5, 2009

wherestip wrote:

As they say, "All roads lead to Rome". I know you are very happy about how things turned out in the end. I'm happy for you too

Steve,

谢谢!All roads lead to America. 我家老二是我来美一年后就来美国的。他一直一帆风顺。但老大几次申请来美探亲签证都被拒(移民倾向)。 他在国内大学毕业后在北京一家外企(Ross Perot 创立的 Electronic Data Systems, EDS)工作了几年。 后来,他与他未婚妻(现为妻子)相继来美念PhD。但他们‘急功近利’,拿到硕士学位后就去工作了。

[Edited at 2009-11-05 20:49 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Higher Education Nov 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

后来,他与他未婚妻(现为妻子)相继来美念PhD。但他们急功近利,拿到硕士学位后就去工作了。

Yueyin,

这可说是 "塞翁失马 安知非福". 如今失业是个大问题. 现在毕业的话, 学得再好也不容易找工作.

美国人很讲求实际, 有能力不上大学 或不上完大学的应有尽有. A few days ago I was watching an interview with Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe. He didn't even bother to finish his undergraduate studies and get a degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Plouffe

Plouffe was raised in Wilmington, Delaware and attended St. Mark's High School. He was a political science major at the University of Delaware, attending from fall 1985 through fall 1988. He did not complete his education before he set out on a career in politics.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 15:23 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Every cloud has a silver lining Nov 5, 2009

Steve,

你说的有理。他们的想法也是来美国后才转变的。他们说,如果有必要,随时都可再回学校念 PhD。他们这个行业受经济危机影响特别大,很多人都被解雇,好在他们都安然渡过了。

“塞翁失马,安知非福”,又是一个难翻的词。翻法也是五花八门。我觉得比较好的是 Every cloud has a silver lining。不知有没有更好的?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_lining

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
塞翁失马 安知非福 Nov 5, 2009

ysun wrote:

“塞翁失马,安知非福”,又是一个难翻的词。翻法也是五花八门。我觉得比较好的是 Every cloud has a silver lining。不知有没有更好的?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_lining

Yueyin,

Yes, that's a good way of saying it. Another way I can think of is to call it "a blessing in disguise".

Of the two expressions, one could be seen as forward-looking, the other is more often than not applicable only after the nature of one's good fortune becomes apparent. So I would suggest differentiating the two in that manner. But definitely, I believe both English expressions are good translations of this Chinese proverb.:-)

[Edited at 2009-11-05 19:47 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"a blessing in disguise" Nov 5, 2009

Yes, "a blessing in disguise" is also a good one. So, it also depends on the context as to which one to choose.

http://www.goenglish.com/ABlessingInDisguise.asp

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
请问大家initials在翻译时是怎么处理的? Nov 14, 2009

这个词在英文的某些研究报告或调查问卷中常用到,一般在这种情况下是指姓名首字母,但是在中文中大家是如何处理的呢?中文的姓和名都是单个的词,真的感觉很难处理。不知道有没有约定成俗的或者标准的译法?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
抛个砖 Nov 14, 2009

Han Li wrote:

这个词在英文的某些研究报告或调查问卷中常用到,一般在这种情况下是指姓名首字母,但是在中文中大家是如何处理的呢?中文的姓和名都是单个的词,真的感觉很难处理。不知道有没有约定成俗的或者标准的译法?

这儿找到有人叫作 "姓名缩写", 我看还可以 ...

http://www.docin.com/p-16657558.html

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
多谢您的建议 Nov 14, 2009

wherestip wrote:
这儿找到有人叫作 "姓名缩写", 我看还可以 ...

http://www.docin.com/p-16657558.html

这不失为一个好的选择,不过全部翻译下来应该是“姓名拼音的首字母缩写”。我只是有点怀疑在中文汉字中是否有缩写这个概念?我感觉自己的印象中好像从来就没有这个概念?也许只是我没有学到过这方面的东西或者是我没有记住以前学过的内容。

[Edited at 2009-11-14 13:48 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Local time: 07:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
西方姓名字母缩写 Nov 14, 2009

Han Li wrote:

这不失为一个好的选择,不过全部翻译下来应该是“姓名拼音的首字母缩写”。我只是有点怀疑在中文汉字中是否有缩写这个概念?我感觉自己的印象中好像从来就没有这个概念?也许只是我没有学到过这方面的东西或者是我没有记住以前学过的内容。

Han Li,

对, 中文原本是没有字母缩写这个概念的, 所以 initials 是不好对付. 只能凑合着翻译一下. 用括号大概也可以: 姓名缩写(initials)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

难翻的词 (The English words that are very difficult to translate into Chinese)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »