Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Off topic: Impact of COVID 19 Pandemic to you
Thread poster: freezone (X)
freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
Oct 15, 2020

COVID-19 pandemic has taken a significant toll on people all across the world, on a personal note, how did COVID 19 affect your social and mental health?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Minimally Oct 15, 2020

freezone wrote:

COVID-19 pandemic has taken a significant toll on people all across the world, on a personal note, how did COVID 19 affect your social and mental health?

As a near-hermit with no family, the effect of Covid-19 on me has been minimal. I'm perfectly happy to be shut away. Now leave me alone.

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Tony Keily
Yaotl Altan
Daryo

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Minimal Oct 15, 2020

It’s had little impact on my life, just a few minor inconveniences and irritations.

Life outdoors continues as normal, at least here in Wales.

Dan Lucas
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 16:03
Chinese to French
+ ...
Very bad Oct 15, 2020

As living in France, it is an economic disaster.
Almost every enterprise has been impacted financially.
And the death toll is pretty bad too.
About myself, no major health issue, but I lost a large part of my business opportunities

Fabrice Ndie
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Barbara Niessen
Sima Rajabi

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
German to English
Inconvenience Oct 15, 2020

Wearing masks has been unpleasant. No more wine tastings until the epidemic passes. Free-time excursions are time-restricted due to limited access to restaurants (many are take-out only), or necessitate packing a meal which has to be consumed either al fresco (good weather only) or eaten in the car. International travel is limited for residents of the United States. Canadians have compared themselves to living above a meth lab, so we're not welcome there. My social circle has shrunk to my daught... See more
Wearing masks has been unpleasant. No more wine tastings until the epidemic passes. Free-time excursions are time-restricted due to limited access to restaurants (many are take-out only), or necessitate packing a meal which has to be consumed either al fresco (good weather only) or eaten in the car. International travel is limited for residents of the United States. Canadians have compared themselves to living above a meth lab, so we're not welcome there. My social circle has shrunk to my daughter and her husband as well as my ex-wife.

Fortunately I have strong anti-virus protection on my computer, so that's one less worry – for now.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Koume
Koume

Local time: 02:03
English to Japanese
+ ...
Significant impact Oct 16, 2020

I live in Melbourne Australia and the city is setting the world record of its longest lockdown...The second lockdown has continued 12 weeks and still ongoing...we have to stay within 5km diameter of your house and the schools just started but I helped my kids home learning for 2 months....That was hectic and did not help me to do my work. I had much less work though.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
At first it hit me, than I adapted to it Oct 16, 2020

Workwise, it's been very well except for the first 2-3 weeks of the lockdown.
My clients have adapted quickly to the new situation and I have adapted as well.
After all, working from a home office for a while is hardly something new for a freelancer.
I have also invested in CPD (2 online conferences, lots of Zoom-meetings), but most importantly I have also invested in How-to-survive-the-crisis and resilience workshops.
I do miss in-person events though.
And I miss t
... See more
Workwise, it's been very well except for the first 2-3 weeks of the lockdown.
My clients have adapted quickly to the new situation and I have adapted as well.
After all, working from a home office for a while is hardly something new for a freelancer.
I have also invested in CPD (2 online conferences, lots of Zoom-meetings), but most importantly I have also invested in How-to-survive-the-crisis and resilience workshops.
I do miss in-person events though.
And I miss travelling and spending time with my family and friends who live in my country of origin and in other countries (on other continents).
IMO it's important to find joy in little, everyday things, to do a random act of kindness once in a while and to remain positive, because this too shall pass.
Happy translating and have a great weekend!
Ivana
P.S: Don't forget to laugh, it's healthy!
I saw a great postcard the other day:
Please reset 2020, it has a virus
Collapse

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deleted Oct 16, 2020

Deleted

[Edited at 2020-10-16 11:18 GMT]

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Not much Oct 16, 2020

I had to bury my dream as a top chef because the pandemic hit the tourism industry the hardest. But I was about to quit anyway due to burnout. I'm sorry Chef Ramsey, please don't r/RoastMe.

I do wish convenient stores are still open 24 hours, though.

[Edited at 2020-10-16 15:14 GMT]

Alexsandro Pizziolo
Alexsandro Pizziolo
Brazil
Local time: 12:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Oct 17, 2020

I have been working from home for over two years so that didn't affect me as much in terms of the isolation. My family and I have been very diligent regarding our self-imposed quarantine. Here in Rio the people do not respect the social distance norms and the government couldn't care less. Thankfully the only person in my family that contracted the virus have been treated and it is now at home. Hoping this all goes away as soon as possible.

expressisverbis
Príamo Jiménez

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
TOPIC STARTER
Covid Nov 2, 2020

Thanks for sharing your stories, the impact maybe good to you or not, it is still super important to keep up and stay going. Me, I just make sure to prioritize my health and the health of my family. From Food to workouts, what food do you usually prepare on your table that is rich in vitamins and minerals?

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Minimally until it entered in my family Nov 2, 2020

One week ago it entered in my family, so at the moment I am not sure about nothing.

No hospitalizations but... well we shall see.

expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sorry ... Nov 2, 2020

... to hear that, Angie. ¡Mucho ánimo!

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Mervyn Nov 2, 2020

Muchas gracias

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:03
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sending my supportive and virtual hug to you Nov 2, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

One week ago it entered in my family, so at the moment I am not sure about nothing.

No hospitalizations but... well we shall see.

You will see! It won't be nothing serious!
I also had one close family member infected, and she is doing well now.
We can't see each other or be together, because she is a nurse. It's a bit hard, but we know this "monster" will simply fade away in the same way it came.
Stay strong! Think positive!
Coraggio, right

[Edited at 2020-11-02 18:20 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Yaotl Altan
Thomas T. Frost
IrinaN

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impact of COVID 19 Pandemic to you

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »