Atril cannot reset a license for 4 days: You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activation Count
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:19
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Feb 8, 2019

I have one Pro and one Workgroup license to Deja vu X3. Currently, when I try to use any of those licenses Deja vu X3 informs me that 'You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activation Count'.

I am not sure why this happens, I have definitely not abused the use of those licenses, but if Windows crashes, etc. and needs to be reinstalled from scratch without first deactivating Deja vu X3 (BSoD would do that to you), this is the logical result. Smarter software vendors would automatically inva
... See more
I have one Pro and one Workgroup license to Deja vu X3. Currently, when I try to use any of those licenses Deja vu X3 informs me that 'You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activation Count'.

I am not sure why this happens, I have definitely not abused the use of those licenses, but if Windows crashes, etc. and needs to be reinstalled from scratch without first deactivating Deja vu X3 (BSoD would do that to you), this is the logical result. Smarter software vendors would automatically invalidate the locked license and validate the new one, but not Atril. You have to specifically write to them, open a support ticket and keep your fingers crossed.

I did just that. I contacted support 4 days ago and asked them to reset the Workgroup license (was not aware at the time that the Pro license did not work either) and just got from them a link to an article that explains what 'You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activation Count' means. Well, thanks!

Now full 4 days have passed and the license has not been reset and Atril has sent no further messages.

As far as I am concerned, this is a new low for Atril. If I had an urgent project on my hands I would have been toast.

Between that and the never ending string of problems that have plagued Deja vu X3 in recent months, rendering it unusable, I can no longer trust them with my work.

They have forced my back to SDL
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
continual rebranding as deemed troubleshooting Feb 8, 2019

Pavel, I understand your disappointment, but if a user (1) doesn't make regular system backups. (2) doesn't use even [free] virtual machines, and (3) doesn't have recent copies of working files on external media, then it will always be a big problem with any CAT tool--even cloud-based sometimes (lost passwords and registrations, anyone?).

Such monstrous applications as DJVX, Trados, and MemoQ seriously affect the system and badly depend on seemingly minor update
... See more
Pavel, I understand your disappointment, but if a user (1) doesn't make regular system backups. (2) doesn't use even [free] virtual machines, and (3) doesn't have recent copies of working files on external media, then it will always be a big problem with any CAT tool--even cloud-based sometimes (lost passwords and registrations, anyone?).

Such monstrous applications as DJVX, Trados, and MemoQ seriously affect the system and badly depend on seemingly minor updates, settings, and unrelated modifications. Little wonder many users prefer having a fresh (and mobile) snapshot of a working system in a virtual machine--running under almost any OS and any configuration. Indeed, an external network/mapped backup drive for TMs and glossaries may appear a must too.

While the (paid?) user support is rather weird for this story, after accepting the EULA doing no PC maintenance is still all your fault. However, you were almost lucky to learn it that way, not a worser one.

Cheers

[Edited at 2019-02-09 00:00 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
It took them 8 days to reset a license... Feb 13, 2019

Dear all,

The problem was finally solved... after 8 days. 8 days to reset a license, which should normally take a minute.

I resent the license codes at least 2 times, as for some reason Atril support had not received them.

Overall impression is that they did not feel it was an urgent matter. In a fast-moving business like translation services 8 days is forever. Atril should definitely think about improving their response time.

Best regards,
... See more
Dear all,

The problem was finally solved... after 8 days. 8 days to reset a license, which should normally take a minute.

I resent the license codes at least 2 times, as for some reason Atril support had not received them.

Overall impression is that they did not feel it was an urgent matter. In a fast-moving business like translation services 8 days is forever. Atril should definitely think about improving their response time.

Best regards,
Pavel

[Edited at 2019-02-23 12:01 GMT]
Collapse

Kaspars Melkis

Denis Danchenko
Denis Danchenko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Help received within 72 hours. Support prompt and friendly in general. Feb 17, 2019

I asked Atril Support for help with a similar issue, and they reset the key within 72 hours.
Generally, I've been happy with their response time over the last 5+ years.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Support questionable Feb 17, 2019

Once I asked for support (couldn't really go on further). 4 or 5 days after, support asked ME (while I was desperately awaiting their answer) how things were going, without any other advice. I found this very disappointing, to say the least, as in the meanwhile I was still stuck.
I wouldn't call "prompt" a support that arrives within 3 days or even later, which in our job is an eternity!
CAT tools should be judged not only for their features, but also for the support they offer whic
... See more
Once I asked for support (couldn't really go on further). 4 or 5 days after, support asked ME (while I was desperately awaiting their answer) how things were going, without any other advice. I found this very disappointing, to say the least, as in the meanwhile I was still stuck.
I wouldn't call "prompt" a support that arrives within 3 days or even later, which in our job is an eternity!
CAT tools should be judged not only for their features, but also for the support they offer which is part of the price we pay for them.
If we go for a free one, we know that we aren't entitled to get any help or advice from the software producer, and that's ok.
But why should we pay for a CAT without getting any support either (or several days late)?
Time is money, for a translator as well as for any manufacturer, but Atril doesn't seem to care.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:19
French to English
+ ...
Pavel, is your hardware OK? Feb 17, 2019

The unresponsiveness of Atril is certainly a bad thing, but I would be very worried about the situation that led to it:
I have definitely not abused the use of those licenses, but if Windows crashes, etc. and needs to be reinstalled from scratch without first deactivating Deja vu X3 (BSoD would do that to you), this is the logical result.

Recent versions of Windows are virtually impossible to crash if your hardware operates properly, and even if they crash, they all typically come back up after rebooting with no long-term ill effects. I would recommend to give your PC a very thorough stress test to check whether all components are OK. If crashes happen so often that you run out of license reactivation allowance, something is most likely out of order; my best bet would be on RAM or hard disk.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 23, 2019

Hi Anton,

BSOD crashes do not happen so often (have not happened for months on my desktop), but the problem is that Déjà vu X3 (and previous versions for that matter) are designed to require a license reset by Atril if for some reason the license is locked.

Now, the only reason for a locked license I can think of is BSOD. I only own two computers, I do not give away my licenses, etc. So how exactly am I exceeding the license count?

With other software tit
... See more
Hi Anton,

BSOD crashes do not happen so often (have not happened for months on my desktop), but the problem is that Déjà vu X3 (and previous versions for that matter) are designed to require a license reset by Atril if for some reason the license is locked.

Now, the only reason for a locked license I can think of is BSOD. I only own two computers, I do not give away my licenses, etc. So how exactly am I exceeding the license count?

With other software titles the same problem has been dealt with much more effectively.

Daemon Tools: If your license is locked, a window pop ups asking if the license code should be 'untied' from the previous installation (hardware footprint) and tied to this new one. A simple 'Yes' and your license is transferred.

Alcohol 120%: It is a bit more difficult with them, you have to go to their website, log in to your profile and 'untie' your license from your previous installation/machine to free it up. Still, since you personally execute these steps, it only takes a couple of minutes.

With Atril it took 8 days.

And it is not even clear why the licenses had been locked in the first place. The problem here is that resetting a license should be the easiest to fix, there is nothing to test, etc. If it takes more than a week to reset a license, how long will it take to fix an actual software problem/incompatibility issue?

Best regards,
Pavel
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Atril cannot reset a license for 4 days: You Have Exceeded Your Allowed Activation Count

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »