Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2012

From what I have found out now it is not possible, as InDesign needs a font.
How can I create a font with colored graphics? In my case this shall be a program icon and program buttons.
Does anyone know about a font generator capable of doing this?

MTIA
Best regards
Jerzy

Armand C.
Armand C.  Identity Verified
Italy
German to English
+ ...
Multi-color or image containing fonts cannot be generated Mar 11, 2012

Jerzy,

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you want to create a font from colored graphics -- a multicolor font, containing images.

I'm afraid that is not possible. And it's not a problem of finding the right program but of how fonts are constructed. A font file is, in principle, a collection of closed curves ("glyphs"), corresponding to the characters. It contains no color information whatsoever. It also does not contain images. (The so-called "bitmap fonts"
... See more
Jerzy,

If I understand you correctly, you're saying you want to create a font from colored graphics -- a multicolor font, containing images.

I'm afraid that is not possible. And it's not a problem of finding the right program but of how fonts are constructed. A font file is, in principle, a collection of closed curves ("glyphs"), corresponding to the characters. It contains no color information whatsoever. It also does not contain images. (The so-called "bitmap fonts" only contain a strictly black-and-white bitmap -- a grid of pixels that can be either black or white, much like old monochrome displays.)

All coloring of text is a function of the program that uses the font, which fills the (closed) curves with color, as defined by the user. Most programs can only fill it with a uniform color, some allow gradations, and a few even the use of images to fill the font. InDesign is not one of the latter ones, AFAIK.

If you need to use images as bullets, it seems to me the only option is to place them manually, in small image boxes...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I indeed attempted to create a colored font Mar 11, 2012

OK, I understand and TBH I should have thought about that myself.
In this respect Word is more user-friendly and allows to place anything as list bullet.

For InDesign I then go the way I found on the Internet: create bulleted lists with a symbol not used elsewhere in text. When the book is ready I convert the lists back to text, then use search and replace for the bullet character to change it to image. Should work correctly.
Or I simply resign from using such lists.
... See more
OK, I understand and TBH I should have thought about that myself.
In this respect Word is more user-friendly and allows to place anything as list bullet.

For InDesign I then go the way I found on the Internet: create bulleted lists with a symbol not used elsewhere in text. When the book is ready I convert the lists back to text, then use search and replace for the bullet character to change it to image. Should work correctly.
Or I simply resign from using such lists.

Another InDesign questions:
I would like to place screenshots in my document, which shall be set between paragraphs and centered, not taking the whole width of the page. Do I need to insert picture frames for those? And if, how can I center a picture frame?
The other thing are buttons, which need to be placed within a sentence. Can the button images be linked though instead of being pasted graphics?
I will try to find out with the help file, but it is of course faster and easier to ask, so that' what I do
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Placing objects in text Mar 11, 2012

Hi Jerzy

with the insertion point active in the text, you can just place an object and use normal Place features like linking.
You can check out the doc about this here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c43a.html
You can place the graphic within an existing senten
... See more
Hi Jerzy

with the insertion point active in the text, you can just place an object and use normal Place features like linking.
You can check out the doc about this here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6c43a.html
You can place the graphic within an existing sentence for icons, or as a new paragraph for screenshot, and apply center allignment to it. No need to create a graphic frame first.

For the bullet lists, I found this replacement method, which I guess is what you found too:
http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2010/02/using_images_in_bulleted_lists.html

hth,
Roberta
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2012

It is always much easier to find something in the help, if you know what you are looking for.
When you ask the program for something you can imagine would fit (because you know it from Word being named there that way), the results are often disappointing.

Many thanks to you - the learning curve of InDesign is quite steep, as I am neither a DTP expert nor a designer or have a clue about publishing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a list in InDesign CS5.5 with a jpg (graphics) instead of a bullet

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »