Regular expression to catch same word twice in a sentence?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nov 19, 2019

I'm not sure if this is possible at all: a regular expression that catches any word that occurs twice in a sentence (or string), not adjacent.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little is extra.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 10:45
English to German
Google for "quantifiers-in-regular-expressions" Nov 19, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

I'm not sure if this is possible at all: a regular expression that catches any word that occurs twice in a sentence (or string), not adjacent.

It is a standard feature. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/base-types/quantifiers-in-regular-expressions

But this is the .NET dialect for regular expressions. Such quantifiers exist in all dialects, but may use a slightly different spelling.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In which tool/dialect? Nov 19, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:
A regular expression that catches any word that occurs twice in a sentence (or string), not adjacent.

I'm sure it must be possible, but you're going to have to define a sentence. Regex dialects sometimes have a shortcut for word boundary, but I've never seen sentence boundary pre-defined. Also, tell us what tool you're using (or which dialect of regex).

https://www.regular-expressions.info/backref.html

[Edited at 2019-11-19 10:46 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Java Nov 19, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm sure it must be possible, but you're going to have to define a sentence.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a well-formed sentence: any string would do.

this one matches safety matches

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Match or replace? Nov 19, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tricky. Do you want it to be replaced, removed, or are you just trying to find it?

Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Compare each word with every other word Nov 19, 2019

These are examples where the search expression is being defined. I'm looking for a very general approach, where every word in a multi-word string is compared with every other word in that same string, at a higher character position. Ah, and it should be case-insensitive.

Kind of QA for double words kind.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
QA Nov 19, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Tricky. Do you want it to be replaced, removed, or are you just trying to find it?

Dan

I want to use it to spot segments (strings) where I've used a word twice, inadvertently.

Mikhail Zavidin
Mikhail Zavidin
Local time: 12:45
English to Russian
+ ...
To spot the segment Nov 19, 2019

^.*(\bword\b).*\1.*$

This catches the word "word" which encounters in the segment at least twice.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Positive lookbehind etc. Nov 19, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:
I want to use it to spot segments (strings) where I've used a word twice, inadvertently.

This post on StackOverflow was downvoted, but one of its proposed solutions seems to work for me using .Net dialect regexes. (Sorry for use of an image but code was causing problems with the post.)

regex

Dan

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
The search word has to be 'hard-coded' Nov 19, 2019

Dan Lucas wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

This post on StackOverflow was downvoted, but one of its proposed solutions seems to work for me using .Net dialect regexes. (Sorry for use of an image but code was causing problems with the post.)

regex

Dan

Alas, this only works when you enter the search word:

Screenshot 2019-11-19 at 12.50.54

I guess that there are at least 2 steps required:

• Assign every word of the string to an array
  • Run the repeated word check on all items of this array

Probably there is some programming needed for this. But perhaps Anthony can solve this puzzle .

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
PowerGrep Nov 19, 2019

Hans Lenting wrote:
I guess that there are at least 2 steps required:

• Assign every word of the string to an array
  • Run the repeated word check on all items of this array

Probably there is some programming needed for this. But perhaps Anthony can solve this puzzle .

Mmm, if you want to run multiple hardcoded items then PowerGrep could do it by loading a list of terms. See this for example, particularly about the list of literal text in the "Search Types: Single, List or Delimited" section:
https://www.powergrep.com/manual.html#actionterms

PowerGrep isn't cheap, but it's inhumanely competent, and the support is excellent. And you have a three-month guarantee.

Dan

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
What regex flavour? Nov 19, 2019

The following works fine in a number of flavours for simpler cases like your two sample strings.

\b([^ ]+)\b.*\b\1\b

But regex capabilities and syntax vary widely among engines as soon as you go beyond the simple stuff, as Samuel and Rolf pointed out.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED Nov 19, 2019

Endre Both wrote:

The following works fine in a number of flavours for simpler cases like your two sample strings.

\b([^ ]+)\b.*\b\1\b

But regex capabilities and syntax vary widely among engines as soon as you go beyond the simple stuff, as Samuel and Rolf pointed out.

Thank you, Endre! Like I said, the flavour is Java: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/regex/Pattern.html

@Dan

Thanks for your help too (same goes, without saying for all other repliers too). I'd like to use the regular expression in CafeTran Espresso 10, so an external app is not an option.

And Endre's expression works nicely in CTE:

Screenshot 2019-11-19 at 20.04.17

[Edited at 2019-11-19 19:20 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Please explain ... Nov 20, 2019

Endre Both wrote:

\b([^ ]+)\b.*\b\1\b

I understand the regular expression, except for the part ([^ ]+). Are you searching for any beginning of a line or space here? And that between word boundaries? Puzzled ...

It sure works, but it'd be nice to also understand it.

Edit: Running the part \b([^ ]+)\b shows that the expression identifies words. Nevertheless, I still don't get it.

[Edited at 2019-11-20 07:27 GMT]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Negated character classes Nov 20, 2019

[^ ] is any character except the space. An alternative to \b([^ ]+)\b might be (\w+) – it's the edge cases that might make one or the other preferable.

One caveat with the above is that if a match includes the first of another set of two repeated words, the second set won't be flagged. Using a lookahead to restrict the match to one word rather than the entire text between the two words helps with that:
(\w+)(?=.*\b\1\b)

Jave has an excellent regex engine that pr
... See more
[^ ] is any character except the space. An alternative to \b([^ ]+)\b might be (\w+) – it's the edge cases that might make one or the other preferable.

One caveat with the above is that if a match includes the first of another set of two repeated words, the second set won't be flagged. Using a lookahead to restrict the match to one word rather than the entire text between the two words helps with that:
(\w+)(?=.*\b\1\b)

Jave has an excellent regex engine that probably allows for many other approaches I haven't thought of. Here's the official Java regex documentation.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regular expression to catch same word twice in a sentence?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »