Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2021

I get so paranoid about these things. I never know whether they're serious or not. I see this message on my icon bar today, saying Windows 10 won't be doing the usual upgrades you're asked to accept every so often, so you have to "download and install" to move up to a more recent version.

Is this a normal Windows thing?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
Easy answer Mar 12, 2021

Check Google under "windows 10 nearing end of service"

[Edited at 2021-03-12 14:38 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jean Mar 12, 2021

Thanks, Jean. I did scout around a bit, but it just seemed strange to me. Still, they don't mention Nigerian air smashes, so I think it's legit.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Seems fake Mar 12, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
I see this message on my icon bar today, saying Windows 10 won't be doing the usual upgrades you're asked to accept every so often, so you have to "download and install" to move up to a more recent version.

My Windows is still updating itself every now and then, by itself. I doubt if Microsoft would release a version of Windows that can't update itself.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Mar 12, 2021

Thanks, Samuel, but somewhere else I read that there isn't going to be a Windows 11. But, like yours, my Windows 10 occasionally updates.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Check your PC for malware Mar 12, 2021

A couple of years ago I made a malware check with AdwCleaner. Perhaps your PC is infected and produces weird messages to download more malware or similar.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Correction: I just received an identical notification too!! (Was: No such a message to me) Mar 12, 2021

>> I have finally adopted it just last year, and it seems to be updating regularly. Never received an end-of-life message.

Unfortunately, i just received the dreadful message too. It is actually appearing as a tooltip on the update notification in the lower notification bar on my screen.

[Edited at 2021-03-12 18:13 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AdwCleaner Mar 12, 2021

Thanks Matthias and Luca, but I see that AdwCleaner is a product of the anti-malware device I have installed, which says it hasn't detected a single threat in the last month. Apart from one called TiLRevenge Level 10.

[Edited at 2021-03-12 16:46 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
True Mar 12, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Thanks Matthias and Luca, but I see that AdwCleaner is a product of the anti-malware device I have installed, which says it hasn't detected a single threat in the last month. Apart from one called TiLRevenge Level 10.

[Edited at 2021-03-12 16:46 GMT]

Please see above - I just changed my post.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
In that case ... Mar 12, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Apart from one called TiLRevenge Level 10.]

... you should call Bill Gates personally for immediate remedy: He will perfectly understand you because he (his products) was (were) affected not only once and by the very same malware.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-12 19:18 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

3089491 (X)
3089491 (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Some possibly related news Mar 13, 2021

Microsoft is currently investigating a potential leak from security groups to hackers.

FT. Article title: Microsoft investigating security groups for leaks to hackers

[Edited at 2021-03-13 04:35 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Could be legit or a fake Mar 13, 2021

Is this a normal Windows thing?

Microsoft says:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fake-windows-update-notification/cc87b07b-14bb-4a68-a0d4-e538b46491b9

If your Windows isn't outdated you should never get that message. Unfortunately you didn't state your version. In these days "Windows 10" is just a brand, the version numbers make an important distinction.

The most recent version number is "20H2", meaning 2020, 2nd half year. Version 21H1 will follow soon. No Windows 11 in the near future!
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/release-information

Adieu

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1909 ... Mar 14, 2021

... is the version, thanks Rolf, and thanks, Mihai, too. This message appears in the system tray (another term I've learned, to the right of the task bar), so it does seem legit. The PC isn't even one year old, and nothing's pirated, so I suppose the message is fine.

According to your second link, my version is up on 11 May 2021, so they seem to be giving me a heads-up two months in advance.

[Edited at 2021-03-14 15:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-14 15:25 GMT]

Peressildur
Peressildur
United States
reddit Jan 26, 2023

If you want access to the new developments and products of Windows 10, you need to buy Windows 10 keys or OEM keys.

Peressildur
Peressildur
United States
Peressildur wrote Jan 31, 2023

Peressildur wrote:

If you want access to the new developments and products of Windows 10, you need to buy Windows 10 keys or OEM keys.

You may also need a retail Windows 10 key or customer Windows activation key, which can be purchased separately. Before you purchase a Windows 10 key, make sure that you have the right system to install and that you get the necessary updates before you continue to use the system. I saw a Windows 10 OEM key reddit post, maybe it will help you with finding windows keys.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10 nearing the end of its service life - updates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »