Korean Language Master's Degree
Thread poster: Silmarien
Silmarien
Silmarien
Romania
Mar 19, 2018

Hey, I do not know if this is the best topic, but I would like to ask you guys if you have any information on what kind of job can you expect if you have a Bachelor's Degree in English and a Master's Degree in Korean. I am currently a translator of English - Romanian in Romania, being a Romanian native. If I would go to South Korea, what kind of job could I expect in this line of work? I imagine I could not be a proofreader of either English or Korean, obviously not being a Korean native, but ar... See more
Hey, I do not know if this is the best topic, but I would like to ask you guys if you have any information on what kind of job can you expect if you have a Bachelor's Degree in English and a Master's Degree in Korean. I am currently a translator of English - Romanian in Romania, being a Romanian native. If I would go to South Korea, what kind of job could I expect in this line of work? I imagine I could not be a proofreader of either English or Korean, obviously not being a Korean native, but are there any other options or I would need to know a few more languages to be able to remain in this translation field of work? I know the question is silly, but I would appreciate any information you might have on this. Thank you in advance.Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 20:44
Japanese to English
Too limiting Mar 21, 2018

An MA in Korea would limit you to working in Korea/with Korean whereas an advanced degree in a broader field would open the rest of the world to you - including Korea. I'm not saying don't learn Korean, but don't bother getting a degree in it. If you need a piece of paper to show your proficiency, there are national exams (TOPIK) that do the job just as well.

Silmarien
Silmarien
Romania
TOPIC STARTER
Korean Language Master's Degree Mar 21, 2018

Hey, thanks a lot for your time and your reply. I intend to take the topik exam anyway, but I was wondering if I could use the master's degree since I'd rather prefer staying in this field of work. Thank you again

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Language Mar 21, 2018

Kuochoe Nikoi wrote:

An MA in Korea would limit you to working in Korea/with Korean whereas an advanced degree in a broader field would open the rest of the world to you - including Korea. I'm not saying don't learn Korean, but don't bother getting a degree in it. If you need a piece of paper to show your proficiency, there are national exams (TOPIK) that do the job just as well.

I should point out that language degrees are more than about the language, they're also about learning the culture and how the language works within it, and often require a period of overseas study in the target country. It most certainly means more than just a language proficiency exam.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Korean Language Master's Degree

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »