Getting assignments on Translators Without Borders (FR>EN)
Thread poster: Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
May 13, 2018

Hi everyone

I'm currently in the process of setting up my translation career after gaining experience with a few charities over the last 4 years. Most of the charities that I've been working for are small, relatively unknown charities (except UNICEF), therefore, I was looking for some other more well known charities to volunteer for so that it would stand out on my CV.

I recently got accepted to work for
... See more
Hi everyone

I'm currently in the process of setting up my translation career after gaining experience with a few charities over the last 4 years. Most of the charities that I've been working for are small, relatively unknown charities (except UNICEF), therefore, I was looking for some other more well known charities to volunteer for so that it would stand out on my CV.

I recently got accepted to work for Translators Without Borders to translate French into English, however, whenever I check there are never any assignments available. I understand that French to English is a popular combination but I thought I would have managed to get something by now!

Does anyone have any recommendations of when to check the website for assignments? Are there any times of the day that they put more translations on? Or any times when less translators will be checking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Emily
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:40
English to Italian
+ ...
Working with TWB May 15, 2018

Dear Emily,
the projects on TWB are assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis. I get a notification email anytime a project in my language pair is available. Once you receive such an email, you follow the link in it and you assign the translation to yourself (if the project is still available, of course). Usually, translators assign themselves the projects within MINUTES, so be fast and check periodically your inbox.
You can do it...
See more
Dear Emily,
the projects on TWB are assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis. I get a notification email anytime a project in my language pair is available. Once you receive such an email, you follow the link in it and you assign the translation to yourself (if the project is still available, of course). Usually, translators assign themselves the projects within MINUTES, so be fast and check periodically your inbox.
You can do it

Have a nice day,
Serena
Collapse

Valérie Ourset
Valérie Ourset
Spain
Local time: 23:40
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Serena May 15, 2018

Serena describes perfectly well what needs to be done. If you do not receive the e-mails, let them know. They are extremely friendly and will do anything to help. I had one small issue when I started with them and it got solved in minutes. I am now very happily collaborating with them on a regular basis.

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 15, 2018

Thank you both for your help! I had no idea you could get email notifications! I have sent them an email and will hopefully be able to assign myself some work soon

sztyblewsky1997
sztyblewsky1997
English to French
+ ...
Congratulations Jun 15, 2018

Congratulations on getting approved to translate for them. I applied and even though they're a volunteer agency I have yet to hear back from them.

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chasing Jun 18, 2018

Hi Pamela - have you tried chasing them? I applied two years ago, did the test etc. and I never heard back from them. It was only recently after becoming busy with other things that I realised that I still had had a reply from them. I sent them an email and a lovely girl named Ambra helped me get my account set up, turns out it was approved years ago! Her email is [email protected] - give her an email and h... See more
Hi Pamela - have you tried chasing them? I applied two years ago, did the test etc. and I never heard back from them. It was only recently after becoming busy with other things that I realised that I still had had a reply from them. I sent them an email and a lovely girl named Ambra helped me get my account set up, turns out it was approved years ago! Her email is [email protected] - give her an email and hopefully she can help you tooCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting assignments on Translators Without Borders (FR>EN)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »