Tea Komšić
Tea Komšić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:49
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apr 24, 2020

Hello everyone,

For the past month I have been thinking to start a blog about translation. I am still trying to organise myself and to find time to actually do it, since I also like to talk about translation a lot, besides only translating hahaha Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have your own blog, what is it about, why did you start writing a blog in the first place, and do you maybe have some advice for writing
... See more
Hello everyone,

For the past month I have been thinking to start a blog about translation. I am still trying to organise myself and to find time to actually do it, since I also like to talk about translation a lot, besides only translating hahaha Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have your own blog, what is it about, why did you start writing a blog in the first place, and do you maybe have some advice for writing, or is it just to write what you have on your mind.

And also, does anyone also plan to start a blog?
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Think about what you wish to achieve Apr 24, 2020

Tea Komšić wrote:

I've always felt that, unless you had a very tightly defined and carefully executed SEO strategy, a blog would not result in enough extra work to justify the time invested. If giving seminars and selling courses or books to other translators is a major component of your income, it may make sense as a marketing tool.

If you're already busy with translation work as a freelancer, you probably don't have time for a blog (the opportunity cost is too great). If you're moving away from pure freelance work and into boutique translation, and need a way of differentiating yourself, a blog might be a good way of communicating your USP to clients, if buttressed by the kind of SEO approach mentioned above.

There was a boom in such blogs a few years back. Some are still going, most are not. Of course, if you just like to write and a blog appeals to you, that's a good enough reason in itself.

Regards,
Dan

Jean Dimitriadis
Jorge Payan
Tea Komšić
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not so much the purpose, as the audience Apr 24, 2020

Tea, you would like to blog with what kind of the audience in mind, what niche?

If you target at younger/newbies, it's one case; if it's about your peers, it's another one; if it's just a public entertainment, then it's a very different LJ scenario.

So, instead of showing yourself you can meet their requirements.
Ask yourself: What would you like to learn as a reader?

Why, I encountered several translation video/blogs which were either v
... See more

If you target at younger/newbies, it's one case; if it's about your peers, it's another one; if it's just a public entertainment, then it's a very different LJ scenario.

Why, I encountered several translation video/blogs which were either very boring or far too serious, rendering it as if a training or a seminar--for a few chosen readers or watchers.
Collapse

Tea Komšić

Tea Komšić
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Apr 24, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Tea Komšić wrote:

I've always felt that, unless you had a very tightly defined and carefully executed SEO strategy, a blog would not result in enough extra work to justify the time invested. If giving seminars and selling courses or books to other translators is a major component of your income, it may make sense as a marketing tool.

If you're already busy with translation work as a freelancer, you probably don't have time for a blog (the opportunity cost is too great). If you're moving away from pure freelance work and into boutique translation, and need a way of differentiating yourself, a blog might be a good way of communicating your USP to clients, if buttressed by the kind of SEO approach mentioned above.

There was a boom in such blogs a few years back. Some are still going, most are not. Of course, if you just like to write and a blog appeals to you, that's a good enough reason in itself.

Regards,
Dan

You are absolutely right, and I also think about that. I think that you cannot just start a blog out of the blue, and try to achieve something with that. There has to be a strategy behind all of it, like for example what is the target audience, what kind of content would you like to present, which amount of time can you devote to it etc. I personally like to write, but also that love towards writing is not something that guarantees you will get (and keep) in touch with the audience. Anyways, I appreciate the advice, thank you very much!

Tea Komšić
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Audience is very important Apr 24, 2020

DZiW wrote:

Why, I encountered several translation video/blogs which were either very boring or far too serious, rendering it as if a training or a seminar--for a few chosen readers or watchers.

That is absolutely correct. I think that doing such a thing, you should always bear in mind what are the needs of the audience. In fact, that is the most important strategy in doing such thing, or basically doing almost anything on social media. We have to find a way on how to present translation to non-translators. As you said, some of the blogs which deal with translation are only for chosen readers, which is only a limited part of the audience. That is fine, if you want to limit yourself to a specific group. I personally would not like to limit myself to a specific target audience, and I would try do develop a strategy on how to present translation to non-translators, as I already said.

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
English to Russian
+ ...
To present translation to non-translators Apr 24, 2020

That sounds interesting. Most of such blogs are for professional translators to exchange ideas and to learn from each other.

Make sure that you do not run out of topics to cover in your blog. Otherwise, it does not make sense even to start. You will have to post regularly in your blog or your readers will lose interest in the blog.

I am speaking from experience. Started blogging 2 years ago. My blog has nothing to do with translation, it is a travel blog. I spend up to
... See more
That sounds interesting. Most of such blogs are for professional translators to exchange ideas and to learn from each other.

Make sure that you do not run out of topics to cover in your blog. Otherwise, it does not make sense even to start. You will have to post regularly in your blog or your readers will lose interest in the blog.

I am speaking from experience. Started blogging 2 years ago. My blog has nothing to do with translation, it is a travel blog. I spend up to 6 months a year on the road. So I always have something to post about. Even now, when nobody travels I can write about my past trips. This is not going to be the case for you.Think carefully and perhaps begin writing without actually having a blog yet.

[Edited at 2020-04-24 17:11 GMT]
Collapse

Tea Komšić
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is true Apr 25, 2020

Natalia Potashnik wrote:

I am speaking from experience. Started blogging 2 years ago. My blog has nothing to do with translation, it is a travel blog. I spend up to 6 months a year on the road. So I always have something to post about. Even now, when nobody travels I can write about my past trips. This is not going to be the case for you.Think carefully and perhaps begin writing without actually having a blog yet.

[Edited at 2020-04-24 17:11 GMT]

Yes, you are right. There has to be a well defined plan on how to present such content to non-translators, without running out of themes. Thank you very much for your advice, and your blog sounds very interesting

Natalia Potashnik

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Out of curiosity -- don't mean to be offensive in any way to anyone Apr 27, 2020

[quote]Natalia Potashnik wrote:

Just out of curiosity: what are you aiming to achieve with your Blogs? I don't mean to be offensive in any way. Please don't get me wrong here!

I can understand that it may be interesting and entertaining for Readers, but apart from that, what else is achieved by such a blog? It has never occured to me and now that this Topic is being discussed here, I thought I might just ask those with experience in Blogging.

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:49
English to Russian
+ ...
For me it's a hobby Apr 27, 2020

Eva, no offense taken!

People have various reasons for blogging including extra income. My blog is non-commercial. It does not make me a penny. On the contrary, it costs me money.

Why do I blog then? For fun and it is a good way to inform my friends in what part of the world I currently am and what I do there. I was tired of telling different people about the same trip repeating myself over and over again. Now they just go online and read.

I also discovere
... See more
Eva, no offense taken!

People have various reasons for blogging including extra income. My blog is non-commercial. It does not make me a penny. On the contrary, it costs me money.

Why do I blog then? For fun and it is a good way to inform my friends in what part of the world I currently am and what I do there. I was tired of telling different people about the same trip repeating myself over and over again. Now they just go online and read.

I also discovered that I like writing travel stories and sharing them with the world. So I do that in between my translation projects when there is time for blogging.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Book Apr 29, 2020

Dear Natalia,
Have you thought about writing a book? One book I recently translated (together with a colleague) was 'Trip out to the soul of Brazil' where someone presented anecdotes of his travel around this immense country.
I'm already in the queue to buy your book - and if you need it translated into Brazilian Portuguese I am interested and available.
Have you been to Brazil? If not, it's a great country to visit once the virus has left.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting a blog about translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »