Thread poster: Maria Argueta Rodriguez
Maria Argueta Rodriguez
Maria Argueta Rodriguez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:09
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Nov 28, 2020

Hello, I am finding it difficult to buy the specialized dictionaries I should get for the exam:
Relatively recent technical and scientific dictionaries that don't cost me a leg.
I am only going to use them for the exam as you can find everything online.
Has anyone got dictionaries to resell?
English-Spanish.
Thanks

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It seems ridiculous... Nov 29, 2020

...that they make you buy paper dictionaries. You should have access to all the online resources we use on a daily basis - possibly even machine translation, which still requires skilled editing.

As you're in the UK, you could try here:
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/UsedBooks.shtml

Maria Argueta Rodriguez
Jorge Payan

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:09
Italian to English
Beg, borrow, Ebay... Dec 1, 2020

A quick look on Ebay suggests you may find something there.
Have you considered asking colleagues nearby if they can lend you theirs? Even if you had to travel a bit to pick them up, it would probably still be worth your while.

Maria Argueta Rodriguez

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:09
Italian to English
They don't "make you buy them" Dec 1, 2020

philgoddard wrote:

...that they make you buy paper dictionaries. You should have access to all the online resources we use on a daily basis - possibly even machine translation, which still requires skilled editing.

I'm doing the DipTrans in January too. Luckily I still have all my old paper dictionaries. The exam format has been the same for years, and candidates are aware of it before they register. As for the fact we "should have access" to most of the resources we use in our professional lives, I completely agree. It's an interesting and stimulating challenge, I'll say that much!

Jorge Payan
Maria Argueta Rodriguez

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

En-ES Second hand dictionaries for DipTrans Exam

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »