Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Best Laptop keyboard - any recommandations ?
Thread poster: Bertrand Malingrey
NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 06:35
French to Dutch
+ ...
Heavy touch Apr 4, 2011

I still have an old fashioned keyboard coming from my old computer, USB but had to buy an adapter for it. In my experience Vaio and HP laptops have nice keyboards but we also have a recent Toshiba and it was a disaster, too "plastic".
For Bertrand, all local multimedia stores (don't have to explain you which ones...) have 17" laptops with numpads.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
External Apr 4, 2011

And this is my recommendation:

http://store.apple.com/fr/product/MB110Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTMzNzcyNjA

Regards

Bertrand Malingrey
Bertrand Malingrey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i know Apr 4, 2011

Cheers Fernando...as previously advised, I might very well end up buying an external and reliable finger-friend

Unfortunately my local stores (Fnac Darty Boulanger and cons) tend to only stock and display "consumer" models, ranging from 400 to 900 euro..high-end models are labeled "Gamer", have features I don't need and their keyboard is Fisher Price quality just like the entry-mid level models.

I have no
... See more
Cheers Fernando...as previously advised, I might very well end up buying an external and reliable finger-friend

Unfortunately my local stores (Fnac Darty Boulanger and cons) tend to only stock and display "consumer" models, ranging from 400 to 900 euro..high-end models are labeled "Gamer", have features I don't need and their keyboard is Fisher Price quality just like the entry-mid level models.

I have not seen a 17" Lenovo or a Dell XPS yet. Actually I still have my old Fisher Price toys and they survived my hammering so the comparison might not be very appropriate.

[Edited at 2011-04-04 17:24 GMT]
Collapse

Anja C.
Anja C.  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German
Lenovo Thinkpad Apr 4, 2011

I haven't come accross any better one so far.

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
For me Apr 4, 2011

no only the keyboard is important, also the trackpad. And a laptop keyboard MUST be backlighted.

I use 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 fingers with the trackpad, to make "my life" easier. Yes, I have since 3 years a Mac. I could not go back to PCs.

I know, a lot of money (the 17" Macbook Pro), but be sure you don't need to change it every 2 years as usual in the PC world.

And yes, I NEED also Windows (VMware), not a problem.

I need beauty around me for better
... See more
no only the keyboard is important, also the trackpad. And a laptop keyboard MUST be backlighted.

I use 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 fingers with the trackpad, to make "my life" easier. Yes, I have since 3 years a Mac. I could not go back to PCs.

I know, a lot of money (the 17" Macbook Pro), but be sure you don't need to change it every 2 years as usual in the PC world.

And yes, I NEED also Windows (VMware), not a problem.

I need beauty around me for better work
Collapse

Bertrand Malingrey
United States
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trackpad...trackpad..oh, that thing in the middle, right ? Apr 4, 2011

I never use the trackpad, never liked that tool, even the multitouch ones seem inferior to the good old mouse and my mighty fast left/right clicking skills. A 17" macbook is 1800 €, and even if they - supposedly - last twice longer, their specs are not very exciting on paper (can't comment on the delivery and experience), and the investment equals to two very decent Windows-based notebooks with up-to-date technology. I admit it is also equal to having to get used to two different computers in ... See more
I never use the trackpad, never liked that tool, even the multitouch ones seem inferior to the good old mouse and my mighty fast left/right clicking skills. A 17" macbook is 1800 €, and even if they - supposedly - last twice longer, their specs are not very exciting on paper (can't comment on the delivery and experience), and the investment equals to two very decent Windows-based notebooks with up-to-date technology. I admit it is also equal to having to get used to two different computers in the same timeframe. I'm quite inclined to sticking with Windows. Used to be a Bill Gates employee, that may be why thoughCollapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That thing in the middle indeed Apr 4, 2011

If I'm at my desk, I'm using a real mouse. Mice are simply superior - trackpads are just a kludge for when you can't use a mouse. If it was the other way around, companies would be selling desktop trackpads... oh wait, Apple does actually sell a desktop trackpad. Let's rephrase: If trackpads were better than mice, companies that care about ergonomics would be selling desktop trackpads.

Of course that's just the broad trend. Individual preferences differ, but I would advise against b
... See more
If I'm at my desk, I'm using a real mouse. Mice are simply superior - trackpads are just a kludge for when you can't use a mouse. If it was the other way around, companies would be selling desktop trackpads... oh wait, Apple does actually sell a desktop trackpad. Let's rephrase: If trackpads were better than mice, companies that care about ergonomics would be selling desktop trackpads.

Of course that's just the broad trend. Individual preferences differ, but I would advise against buying a computer based on someone else's preference of its trackpad.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Yes, Apr 5, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

If I'm at my desk, I'm using a real mouse. Mice are simply superior - trackpads are just a kludge for when you can't use a mouse. If it was the other way around, companies would be selling desktop trackpads...

There are, and I use it and it is superior as a mouse.

As I tell before, I use all 5 fingers to control it. You can configure all the task you need. For example, instead of cmd + tab to change between programs a slice 4 finger left. Louder with 3 finger in the top of the trackpad and softer on the low part, drag & drop is more ergonomic and and so hundreds of gestures that you customize for your needs.

And the haptic perception is very strong. This is the reason iPhones, iPads and so are getting so popular. Touching!

For a few years only Mac used a mouse and Windows users smile about it, but startet to use it... years later...

I know, it is not easy to change habitudes... But the tendons in my hand have now a better life.

Regards

[Edited at 2011-04-05 17:12 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Yes, of course Apr 5, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

...but I would advise against buying a computer based on someone else's preference of its trackpad.

It was not my intention

just wanted to open a little the horizon and remember that the way of working also changes over time.

For me, "numbers" (RAM, GBs, CPU,etc.) are no more important in making a decision, but haptic and the subjective feeling in front of the screen.

I see Laptops with the same "configurations" and 1000 € difference in the price. Same numbers, but... you feel it... sometimes.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Desktop trackpad Apr 5, 2011

Looks beautiful, Fernando! Which model/brand are you using? Any downsides in your experience?

Stefanie

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
can't go wrong with a ThinkPad Apr 10, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

If you really insist on using a laptop keyboard, Lenovo Thinkpads have the best reputation of all.

I'm on my 4th ThinkPad and 2nd ThinkStation. You can't go wrong with IBM/Lenovo.
A bit pricy, but certainly worth the money IMO.

mari pet
mari pet  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Slovak
+ ...
samsung - off topic May 7, 2011

Karol Kacprzak wrote:

Hi!
Have you maybe tried Samsung? I happen to have Samsung R720, 17" with numpad. The keyboard is kinda "different", but it's just brilliant. And liquid-proof to some extent (at least they say so, haven't really tested ^^)

Cheers,
Karol

I have samsung R 522 - which also has a liquid-proof keyboard -(as Samsung on his wabpage says). I have it since about 1 year and half and yesterday I spillt a bit of tea (without sugar) on it. As the keys are very close to each other, I managed to take some of liquid into the kitchen paper but not all and unfortunately after some moments 6 keys form the right part stopped working. I am not sure if it can come under the guarantee (since they say about 100 cc = 1 dl of liquid). I wrote to the manufacturer, but actually I am very curious if they respond me.
The second thing is that I have decided to buy an external keyboard (until I resolve what to do with that). There were no great variety - in the small town and on Saturday, so I have bought some low budget keyboard (Canyon) and I see that it will be difficult for me to get used to another kind of keyboard until I finish the current project.

[Editado a las 2011-05-07 20:33 GMT]

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Accents in French May 8, 2011

Bertrand Malingrey wrote:

...I've always used laptops with a numpad and can't imagine life without one. The extensive use of accents in French would make the switching between numbers and accentuated characters a nightmare...

I don't understand. Why don't you simply install the French or the French Canadian keyboard in Windows? You'll get all the accent needed on regular keys (on a regular 102 keys keyboard - right after the p, the ; and the .) for a click on the keyboard icon down the screen.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
For the keyboard terrorist... May 8, 2011

Bertrand Malingrey wrote:

Yes indeed..the local stores now refer to me as "the keyboard torturer". I'm not impressed by Asus, Acer, Hp and Packard Bell so far...way too soft for my hammering.

You need a Logitech keyword, especially the cordless type. It will be imploring you to torture every keys!

I had an old Microsoft keyboard for years. Simple: there was very few letters left on the keys and some were even "sculpted", with holes on the edges. It was a total nightmare when it died. I had to go through about a dozen of models before finding one barely resembling my old friend and it took me weeks to get used to it. So, don't do the same mistake: if you have one you love, go and buy its alter-ego NOW, before they stop manufacturing it. "Juste en cas."

Bertrand Malingrey
United States
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same keys May 8, 2011

Germaine wrote:
I don't understand. Why don't you simply install the French or the French Canadian keyboard in Windows? You'll get all the accent needed on regular keys (on a regular 102 keys keyboard - right after the p, the ; and the .) for a click on the keyboard icon down the screen.

Because on laptops without a numpad (therefore not 102 keys), the é,à, è keys are shared with the numbers, so you need to use shift to get an accent. That represents an unacceptable increase of the "use of pinky finger per sentence" ratio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Laptop keyboard - any recommandations ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »