Anyone interested in comparing system start-up times?
Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:08
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2016

I know there will be a few variables but perhaps we can see if there’s a big difference with a faster CPU, more RAM, SSHD or SSD storage, different OS, MAC/PC, etc. for a future system upgrade.

If you’re interested you could copy/paste the blurb below to avoid writing it out again and just delete/change what’s relevant or not. I used the stopwatch on my phone to do the timing.

Here’s mine

System start-up
Time to password request = 35 seconds... See more
I know there will be a few variables but perhaps we can see if there’s a big difference with a faster CPU, more RAM, SSHD or SSD storage, different OS, MAC/PC, etc. for a future system upgrade.

If you’re interested you could copy/paste the blurb below to avoid writing it out again and just delete/change what’s relevant or not. I used the stopwatch on my phone to do the timing.

Here’s mine

System start-up
Time to password request = 35 seconds
Confirm password to system ready = another 30 seconds
Total just over 1 minute

CAT tool start-up (no files or TMs open)
Trados Studio 2015 = 24 seconds
MemoQ 2014 = 38 seconds

Office programs start-up (small file)
Word = 2 seconds
Excel = 2 seconds

Other programs
Abby Finereader 12 = 17 seconds
Mozilla Thunderbird = 4 seconds
Google Chrome (no images) = 4 seconds
Mozilla Firefox = 6 seconds

System specs
HP Probook 6560 about 4 years old
CPU: i5 2.50 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB
HD: 500 GB HDD
Operating system: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Antivirus: Microsoft security essentials
Reg. cleaner: Tuneup Utilities 2012
Start-up programs: PdaNet (mobile Internet connection)
Collapse

Andrej Fric
Andrej Fric  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2011)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
This is not important Jan 19, 2016

I boot up my computer only once a month or so, so this question is for me completely irrelevant.
More important for me is searching through the TM and suggesting translations (in Trados). And typing. Good keyboard and screen outweigh booting time.
Therefore all my TM's are on SSD and I would still need more speed.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What's the hurry? Jan 19, 2016

What's the hurry?

I have set my computer to boot itself up (El Capitan, MacOS 10.11.12) at 8 a.m. every weekday, including browser, PIM (diary + to do list), and checking my incoming emails. I have set it to not require my password (it's safe here where I am).

I don't care how long that takes. While it's happening I'm in the kitchen having breakfast. The MacOS checks and fixes itself if necessary during the boot process- I don't need to do anything.

When m
... See more
What's the hurry?

I have set my computer to boot itself up (El Capitan, MacOS 10.11.12) at 8 a.m. every weekday, including browser, PIM (diary + to do list), and checking my incoming emails. I have set it to not require my password (it's safe here where I am).

I don't care how long that takes. While it's happening I'm in the kitchen having breakfast. The MacOS checks and fixes itself if necessary during the boot process- I don't need to do anything.

When my coffee is ready I sit down in front of the computer, where my emails are ready to read.

I hardly ever reboot. No need to.

In your case, obviously if you have set your computer to start a dozen applications every time it boots, that's going to take a while.

[Edited at 2016-01-19 15:03 GMT]
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Amazing... Jan 19, 2016

Who cares about such things nowadays?

It seems to be a new obsession like the following one with "productivity".

Have a look to this post :

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/297140-yourproductivity_plugin_puts_brakes_on_productivity.html

Regards

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ages Jan 19, 2016

From about 30 seconds when new to 10 minutes now...

I just have a cuppa while I'm waiting.

Those who don't turn their computers off must be wasting a whole load of electricity. We had an old PC sitting in the corner for a couple of years, turned completely off, not on standby, and we found that it was still consuming 40 watts the whole time, which adds up to a lot of power wasted...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Fast enough Jan 20, 2016

I used to turn on my old machine before I went and cleaned my teeth etc. in the morning. Then I could type in the password and go off to fetch a cup of coffee, and I could read my mails while drinking the coffee when I came back.

After that the computer practically always reacted as fast as I could keep up with it, and who needs more? My husband couldn't sleep, he said, with the hum, if I didn't turn it off at night, quite apart from the electricity!

I still - just -
... See more
I used to turn on my old machine before I went and cleaned my teeth etc. in the morning. Then I could type in the password and go off to fetch a cup of coffee, and I could read my mails while drinking the coffee when I came back.

After that the computer practically always reacted as fast as I could keep up with it, and who needs more? My husband couldn't sleep, he said, with the hum, if I didn't turn it off at night, quite apart from the electricity!

I still - just - manage to pour a cup of coffee from the pot between turning on the computer and coding in the password. (All that flimmer about recovery and pressing F11 makes me nervous, so I go away...)

The one thing I miss is the XP search function on Explorer. It could find a file in seconds with the right keywords, but now I actually have to remember myself where I archived them, and THAT can be slow.

They call it Error 40 here - the problem is 40 centimetres - or more like 60 in my case - away from the front of the screen.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Search function Jan 20, 2016

Christine Andersen a écrit :

The one thing I miss is the XP search function on Explorer. It could find a file in seconds with the right keywords, but now I actually have to remember myself where I archived them, and THAT can be slow.

Hello Christine!

I'm maybe missing something, but if you are now Win 10, you have a great search function. Clicking in the search box (right up in the Explorer window) you open a search ribbon with a lot of search opportunities.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone interested in comparing system start-up times?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »