Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:09
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Rollermouse Apr 4, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I'd also like to try a Rollermouse one day, although I'm not sure how precise I'd be with it.

Dear Emma,

I haven't read you blogpost yet, but I will. Just wanted to chime in and encourage you to try the Rollermouse. It's really excellent. I dare say I'm certainly faster and probably more precise than with a traditional mouse. I used to suffer pain in my neck and shoulder. That's history now.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Go for it Apr 4, 2016

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I'd also like to try a Rollermouse one day, although I'm not sure how precise I'd be with it.

I looked at the Rollermouse quite closely until I noticed the integrated trackball on the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard and decided to wait for that. The Rollermouse certainly has uniformly excellent reviews.

The main concern I have is whether the Rollermouse would fit a keyboard like the Microsoft Natural with its reverse slope (i.e. the front edge with the space key is higher than the rear edge where the function keys are) and its curvy front edge. Otherwise, I would definitely try it.

EDIT I'm surprised to hear there were two Maltron users in your survey but I'm not surprised to hear that one has been used for a couple of decades: they are ugly but robust pieces of equipment. The people at Maltron are very helpful and pleasant and no doubt would repair the board if anything happened. Also you can "rent" a keyboard for a month or two to see how you can get on with it! Not something that Microsoft or Logitech would offer you.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-04-04 14:30 GMT]

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
German to French
Flat Keybord + Apr 4, 2016

vertical mouse.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the survey untill today.

Wireless is a must, for both keyboard and mouse, in order to change sitting/typing position from time to time without any effort. For the same reason a large desk: to vary the distance to the keyboard, in combination with a versatile desk chair wich allows to lean back.
I use a laptop (because I like small and QUITE computers), in combination with an external keyboard + an external scree
... See more
vertical mouse.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the survey untill today.

Wireless is a must, for both keyboard and mouse, in order to change sitting/typing position from time to time without any effort. For the same reason a large desk: to vary the distance to the keyboard, in combination with a versatile desk chair wich allows to lean back.
I use a laptop (because I like small and QUITE computers), in combination with an external keyboard + an external screen.

Keybord: Logitech K750 (solar), very thin.
Mouse: Evoluent VerticalMouse
Both reduced the vertical wrist angle, wich IS the main issue for me (tennis elbow).
Reducing lateral angle (through ergonomic keyboard) is not really important for me. First of all, my keyboard has to be as thin/flat as possible.

Predictive typing features drive me crazy.
Nevertheless, maybe some day I'll have to use voice recognition due to pain in (all) my joints. Not only related to typing. You didn't mention elbow, nor neck pain.

I don't really understand the difference between "touch typer" and "fast typer without looking at the keyboard". I guess, I belong to the first category but I'm not sure, because I really started to use that skill on a daily basis about 25 years after having learned it. Sorry for my exotic English

[Modifié le 2016-04-04 20:23 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-04-04 20:24 GMT]

[Modifié le 2016-04-04 20:28 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
A few clarifications Apr 6, 2016

laurgi wrote:

Wireless is a must, for both keyboard and mouse

Interesting. I agree about the wireless mouse, but my keyboard doesn't move anywhere. I also have a 2nd monitor, so I suppose that's why.

You didn't mention elbow, nor neck pain.

No, in hindsight I should have said any keyboard-related pain and left it to respondents to decide what that included.

I don't really understand the difference between "touch typer" and "fast typer without looking at the keyboard".

The difference is that in touch typing each finger is assigned certain keys and that doesn't change. My definition of fast typing included people's unconventional methods of using their own finger assignation and travel across the keys and the possibility of using fewer fingers, while still being fast and not looking at the keyboard.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please complete a quick survey on typing and keyboards

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »