Thread poster: Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 00:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better the devil you know! Sep 8, 2017

Having read all your valuable comments, I feel I will stick with Widows. Also because I want to be up and running quickly on my new computer and keep up with workload and don't have time to figure things out, which - with my technical knowledge (next to none) - will probably take much longer than all you wiz kids out there! It has been very helpful to get all of your views and I am very grateful. You made my choice clearer and easier, so thank you for that!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:32
Dutch to English
Updates Sep 8, 2017

Just to add another voice: on my laptop, Windows 10 always updates in the background (with no influence on performance). I also installed the Creators update recently (effectively a new OS, I understand); excluding the background stuff it took about 10-15 minutes. As others may already have said, on a good machine, Windows 10 works flawlessly and never crashes at all.

Olly

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never say never Sep 8, 2017

I became familiar with the Mac systems in 1992 or 1993 during an onsite proofreading assignment. Although the Mac monitor was minuscule (about 7 to 10 inches wide), I appreciated the crispness of typefaces and the high legibility of text.

I then became seriously interested in having my own Mac back in 2004. I used a Mac G4 system and an iBook G3 at the time. Starting in 2008, I bought a 24-inch iMac, a beauty of a machine. It ran Parallels 3 and my Windows applications. In 2009 I bo
... See more
I became familiar with the Mac systems in 1992 or 1993 during an onsite proofreading assignment. Although the Mac monitor was minuscule (about 7 to 10 inches wide), I appreciated the crispness of typefaces and the high legibility of text.

I then became seriously interested in having my own Mac back in 2004. I used a Mac G4 system and an iBook G3 at the time. Starting in 2008, I bought a 24-inch iMac, a beauty of a machine. It ran Parallels 3 and my Windows applications. In 2009 I bought my first MacBook Pro (a 17-inch beast) that served me very well for many years (I sold it in February 2017). Replaced it with a 15-inch MacBook Pro... and the issues began.

The truism that Macs don't get viruses or malware holds no water anymore. The more a Mac operating system resembles that of other Apple products, particularly the iPhone and iPad, the ecosystem becomes more open for different attacks, not just viruses.

The other “rule” about Macs being much simpler to use and apt for the nontechnical user or translator is not exactly true, and the matter is more nuanced. As Cafetrans pointed out, there are different ways to achieve the same results as in a Windows operating system. For those who remember, trying to solve a driver conflict in Windows required digging into .INI files (one for each component or program) before Windows Registry appeared. Even then and now, only the very technically inclined would work inside registry entries to solve some conflict or other, always running the risk of mucking the Registry up. Luckily, it's always easy (and highly recommended) to back up your registry keys if you're going to do changes.

By contrast, if you are new to Macs and you are faced with fixing a software problem, chances are you luck out and just uninstall and reinstall the offending program, but there's the chance that you may need to learn Terminal commands (kind of reminds me of the necessity to learn DOS commands way back when for Windows/DOS computers).

I have no experience with Windows 8 or 10. I guess I'd eventually have to upgrade but the Windows (64-bit) 7 Pro system is to me like Windows XP SP2 was for millions of people for about two decades: robust, reliable, stable.

Back to problems with my MacBook Pro (2011): some Mac models (laptops or desktops) using two video chipsets have well-documented problems that created artifacts (best-case scenario) or caused shutdowns or the Mac refused to reboot (worst-case scenario). Apple had a repair program for those models (especially MacBooks made in 2010-2012) that ceased in early 2016. The repair involved replacing the faulty video chip or replacing the logic board (a very expensive repair if you don't have AppleCare or if you weren't eligible for that repair program).

So, switching from one operating system to another is a very involved process that should not be reduced to buying a new computer. And Willemina is doing the right thing.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Which ones? Sep 9, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

The truism that Macs don't get viruses or malware holds no water anymore. The more a Mac operating system resembles that of other Apple products, particularly the iPhone and iPad, the ecosystem becomes more open for different attacks, not just viruses.

Which ones have you had?

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Better safe than overconfident Sep 9, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Which ones have you had?

To my knowledge, I have not had any virus directly affecting my Macs, but I use Mail and I routinely get phishing and scam emails, which of course I deal with preventively.

Even so, I exercise care in accessing or opening an URL or webpage. Using McAfee online protection (it is a Chrome plugin) I can tell if a website is risky or not. Additionally, I use Kaspersky Labs for the same reason and to detect if a secure page (from a financial institution) is the real thing or else its certificate has expired or is a possible fake.

Because I exchange data and files between the two platforms, Windows 7 and Mac OSx, I have to exercise extra caution on both, regardless of whether Macs are safer than other operating systems. I've had malware and trojan horses detected on my Windows 7 systems (happily purged without much serious consequences), but I prefer to be safer than overconfident with my Mac computers.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:32
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Kaspersky Sep 10, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I use Kaspersky Labs ...

You might be interested in reading this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/opinion/kapersky-russia-cybersecurity.html

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes and no Sep 10, 2017

Michele Fauble wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

I use Kaspersky Labs ...

You might be interested in reading this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/opinion/kapersky-russia-cybersecurity.html

I don't hold senators or representatives in my country's congress in high esteem. If I were a bank or a company with a sizable staff, I might be concerned but then I would rely on an IT and cybersecurity expert rather than on political denunciations.

Kaspersky Labs make pretty strong products, and I don't buy nor adopt antivirus or security products without doing my homework first.

[Edited at 2017-09-10 23:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switch from Windows to Mac

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »