Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mine is Samsung Xpress M2070W Mar 25, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Wise words from all three - many thanks and indeed, I too care about the environment so I should try just playing with fonts and colours to "refresh" my re-reading of the translation. In fact since I'm currently unable to print, that's what I'm doing now with a job I need to deliver by tomorrow.

Maybe I'll look into all-in-one laser printers. Any particular recommendations? I'm asking myself how badly I might need to print in colour.....

I would never go back to ink. I don't know if non-original cartridges can be used for my model, I had to buy a new one only once in three years yet (so I'm a lazy printer).

When I had still color inkjets it always felt a pain when I had to print out theater tickets with advertisements on them. All that waste. Now I don't care anymore with the b/w laser printer.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Heinrich Mar 25, 2018

Thanks Heinrich

As a matter of fact the Samsung Xpress M2070W is one I've been looking at. But the reviews are mixed. In your opinion, what are its good points and bad points?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Ask your Apple dealer Mar 25, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote: The thing to watch out for in your case is drivers for the Mac.

That's one of the reasons I asked my Apple dealer, about two years ago. Not just the driver, but anything Apple related. The Apple dealer doesn't sell printers. So he recommended - like everybody does and I will do now - the printer he used himself, a FujiXerox M115w, laser, monochrome, three in one, wireless. Setting it up is easy, and you can print from all your Apple devices that are on the same wireless network, in my case 3 Macs and 5 iOS devices. It's less than € 100, and the only thing I don't like about it, is that the colour version is only some € 50 more expensive. I didn't know it existed.

Cheers,

Hans

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Mar 25, 2018

Excellent . Thanks Hans. Unfortunately that model does not appear to be available in the UK

[Edited at 2018-03-25 12:17 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:25
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other options Mar 25, 2018

Maybe it would be possible instead to team up with another translator who would agree to proofread your work in return for you doing theirs? That would give you a fresh pair of eyes and avoid having to print out everything you translate, which seems a shocking waste of resources.

Personally I sometimes translate very long technical specifications, and can't imagine printing out 250-odd pages, even once!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Mar 25, 2018

Yes, Jane, I'd thought of that but I don't like the thought of having to rely on someone being available when I need them. I don't think that would work.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Mar 25, 2018

Excellent . Thanks Hans

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
For what model did you opt for? May 8, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Heinrich

As a matter of fact the Samsung Xpress M2070W is one I've been looking at. But the reviews are mixed. In your opinion, what are its good points and bad points?

Please, Tom, could you share for what model you finally opted for? Perhaps for the model mentioned above in the quote? I still think of buying nearly the same model (M2070FW), but I wonder how good its scan function would be (especially the sheet feed feature). Or perhaps Heinrich would please share his experience? Thanks!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
In the end May 8, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Heinrich

Please, Tom, could you share for what model you finally opted for? Perhaps for the model mentioned above in the quote? I still think of buying nearly the same model (M2070FW), but I wonder how good its scan function would be (especially the sheet feed feature). Or perhaps Heinrich would please share his experience? Thanks!

Matthias:

I hardly ever print anything at all now, but when I do I don't want to run into dried-out cartridge problems. After many years of such problems, I decided to abandon inkjets altogether; and since colour is not a big deal for me I decided to go for a b/w laser printer.

I also decided to do without a scanner, because I hardly ever scan anything and the scan is usually not essential. In many cases a photograph on my iPhone is good enough as an image of a document.

After much research and comparison I opted for the Brother HL-L2350DW (using a direct USB cable connection because WiFi printing seems to create all kinds of problems).

https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/mono-laser-printers/hl-l2350dw

So far, so good. It does what I need: very occasional b/w printing, sometimes double-sided.

(added later):

I got it via eBay for half the price quoted on the Brother website. I chose carefully on eBay to ensure that the dealer was actually here in the UK (not a Chinese dealer pretending to be in the UK). The printer was delivered 2 days after I ordered it.

(added even later):

The joy of the MacOS is that I just plugged in the printer and that was it. No need to install anything (although the printer comes with a DVD for those who need it).

[Edited at 2018-05-08 07:50 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks, Tom, and Heinrich seems to be ... May 8, 2018

... somehow dissatisfied with his device, because he still didn´t answer.

Tom in London wrote:

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
false economy May 8, 2018

Jack Doughty wrote:

See https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/ for offers of free good quality printers if you spend a certain amount on ink cartridges for them.

even with a "free" inkjet printer, it's still not worth it.

I know of at least two people who bought ink-jet printers because "they are cheaper than laser printers" only to literally give them away once they realized the cost of ink cartridges ...

If you are happy with BW printing, you can get a good laser printer for not much more than the cost of an ink-jet printer, with much lower cost per page.

BTW staying away from anything wireless is better - often there are so many wireless devices around that interferences can be a (persistent) right pain in the neck.

[Edited at 2018-05-08 18:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-05-08 18:30 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
The purpose: Never say 'never'... for it ends too soon May 8, 2018

For monochrome printing up to some 1200dpi, I have not seen a device better than my old OKI 4350+, which should use a special toner, but still keep working flawlessly in PCL mode with $10 generic toners!

As for color-printing, with a decent ink supply system, ink would be much better at the price and quality (ever care to print on a fax, texture, or low-quality draft paper?) , yet one should be aware and mind the characteristics (e.g. eight-color 5900+ dpi) and the ink type. Why, in
... See more
For monochrome printing up to some 1200dpi, I have not seen a device better than my old OKI 4350+, which should use a special toner, but still keep working flawlessly in PCL mode with $10 generic toners!

As for color-printing, with a decent ink supply system, ink would be much better at the price and quality (ever care to print on a fax, texture, or low-quality draft paper?) , yet one should be aware and mind the characteristics (e.g. eight-color 5900+ dpi) and the ink type. Why, in my youth I used to fill an old Canon Bubble with... water-soluble gouache and it worked no problem, as well as cleaning the nozzles in the warm running water. Certainly, it's no case with durable instant-drying pigment inks or spirit-soluble ones, which are the best for photo-printing, but requires top-quality paper and one should print something at least once a month to prevent head drying and jets clogging.

A big secret: although there're bad models (shame on you, chippers!), besides ignorance and bad habits, it's very mixing ink/toner types and using poor paper/medium (paper clips and dust!) what makes printers look so ugly.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The cost of printer cartridges

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »