Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019) - your thoughts?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dec 10, 2019

Hello everyone

I'm looking for a sub-$200 tablet mostly to read ebooks on the go. I will also browse web sites. I will never be without my phone (Android, 2017), so this tablet isn't mean to replace a phone. I don't *have* to spend $200 (I see some options for as little as $50). One option that looks particularly good is the Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019). I know it contains sponsored content, and that I would have to side-load the Play Store if I want to install any apps that aren't
... See more
Hello everyone

I'm looking for a sub-$200 tablet mostly to read ebooks on the go. I will also browse web sites. I will never be without my phone (Android, 2017), so this tablet isn't mean to replace a phone. I don't *have* to spend $200 (I see some options for as little as $50). One option that looks particularly good is the Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019). I know it contains sponsored content, and that I would have to side-load the Play Store if I want to install any apps that aren't in Amazon's app store, but I suspect that those things wouldn't bother me. Do any of you have any (any) experience with the Amazon Fire tablets at all? What are your thoughts?

Does anyone have the 2017 Fire HD 10? I know it has a slower processor and less RAM than the 2019 model, but it has one great advantage: the 2019 model only comes with USB-C, whereas the 2017 model has micro USB (which is what practically all other devices in our home uses, including my phone).

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Familiar with e-ink displays? Dec 10, 2019

... mostly to read ebooks on the go.

Have you tried dedicated ebook readers with e-ink displays, eg. by Kobo or Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite? They use a different display technology (excellent contrast, passive front lighting instead of backlighting that shines directly in your face), offering incomparable reading comfort with ebooks. They are less well suited for PDFs and totally unsuited for web browsing though because page updates are slow and they are black and white only.

I prefer to split my browsing between my PC and my phone, with no need for a tablet in between, but I wouldn't want to be without an ebook reader.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:52
Chinese to English
+ ...
2017 Dec 10, 2019

I do have the 2017. It's what it is at the price.
Do make sure you manage your accounts because I think the Kindle Fire has a built-in Amazon account and what you buy on it may or may not be accessible on other platforms. I personally don't use it anymore because between my phone and my Surface Pro, there isn't anything useful I can do with it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Endre Dec 10, 2019

Endre Both wrote:
Have you tried dedicated ebook readers with e-ink displays, eg. by Kobo or Amazon's Kindle Paperwhite?

I do have a Kindle from 2 years ago, but the first problem with the Kindle is that it can only read MOBI files (not RTF, HTML or EPUB), and the second problem is that you can't view files by their file names (Kindle always reads the metadata and displays only the metadata) nor can you sort books into folders or rename them easily so that you can read a series in the right order. Do you have experience with the Kobo?

[Edited at 2019-12-10 09:35 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
KOReader Dec 10, 2019

Hello Samuel,

To address the limited file format support, I suggest you check out KOReader.

It can be installed on various ebook readers (including jailbroken Kindles), on Android devices and GNU/Linux.

http://koreader.rocks/

KOReader is a document viewer for E Ink devices. Supported fileformats include EPUB, PDF, DjVu, XPS, CBT, CBZ, FB2, PDB, TXT, HTML, RTF, CH
... See more
Hello Samuel,

To address the limited file format support, I suggest you check out KOReader.

It can be installed on various ebook readers (including jailbroken Kindles), on Android devices and GNU/Linux.

http://koreader.rocks/

KOReader is a document viewer for E Ink devices. Supported fileformats include EPUB, PDF, DjVu, XPS, CBT, CBZ, FB2, PDB, TXT, HTML, RTF, CHM, DOC, MOBI and ZIP files. It’s available for Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Android and desktop Linux.

I use it with a Kobo (and on my Android phone), and I can only highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Jean

PS: On Android, you can easily install it via an APK or F-Droid, an installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform (alternative to Google Play, should work on the Kindle Fire): https://f-droid.org/

[Edited at 2019-12-10 09:54 GMT]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No idea about file browsing Dec 10, 2019

Reading with KOReader on a jailbroken Kindle (with their lovely hardware) is definitely the bee's knees, but it's quite a pain to set up, and I believe the KOReader interface doesn't make file browsing any easier.

I used to have a Kobo Glo HD, and it was right there with the Kindles (with better format support), but it had an annoying delay when turning a page that finally made me get rid of it. Newer Kobos may not have the problem as they hopefully have beefier CPUs.

I
... See more
Reading with KOReader on a jailbroken Kindle (with their lovely hardware) is definitely the bee's knees, but it's quite a pain to set up, and I believe the KOReader interface doesn't make file browsing any easier.

I used to have a Kobo Glo HD, and it was right there with the Kindles (with better format support), but it had an annoying delay when turning a page that finally made me get rid of it. Newer Kobos may not have the problem as they hopefully have beefier CPUs.

I cannot say much about either file browsing or collection management as I prefer to do all management on the PC, with only a few books on the reader at any given time. I don't have the patience to do anything apart from reading on those slow displays (but the reading I love).

[Bearbeitet am 2019-12-10 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nothing Amazon Dec 10, 2019

I never buy anything from Amazon. Think of the working conditions there, and the fact that they offshore their profits and pay no taxes. No thanks.

Hugh Thomson
Patrice
Olav Karlsen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019) - your thoughts?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »