Thread poster: Christina Fernandez
Christina Fernandez
Christina Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2020

My computer right now is old and I'm looking to upgrade. But there are so many options out there and I want to make sure my next computer is fast enough to handle CAT tools, large documents etc.What computers are you guys using and what would you suggest? My budget is $500

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
See this one Apr 13, 2020

You may check the below link for a question similar to yours:

https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/342728-need_a_new_laptop_suggestions.html

That said, only you can determine what machine is best for your needs, and it shouldn't be that hard to choose, it's just a machine.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
What do you want? Apr 13, 2020

What size? Weight? Are there any things that you will not compromise on?
People often focus on things that don't matter in real life and ignore the things that do, so take a look at the followin
... See more
What size? Weight? Are there any things that you will not compromise on?
People often focus on things that don't matter in real life and ignore the things that do, so take a look at the following and think about what you actually need.
https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/335006-laptops_lessons_learned_and_the_things_that_matter.html
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christina Apr 13, 2020

Christina Fernandez wrote:
My computer right now is old and I'm looking to upgrade. But there are so many options out there and I want to make sure my next computer is fast enough to handle CAT tools, large documents etc. My budget is $500.

You're going to have to get a new monitor, too, and the monitor is usually not included in the price of the computer. You should get one that is about 22-24" and has a resolution of either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 (if you get the larger resolution, make sure your computer can handle it). At Best Buy (only for comparison!), this'll set you back about $100.

Next, you need a desktop computer with a large power supply. In this budget range, computer suppliers tend to save costs by giving you a computer with barely sufficient power (e.g. 200 W), which makes it impossible for you to upgrade your computer later, so make sure the computer you get has at least a 600 W power supply unit in it. Get a big box (the small once save space on your desk but you are severely limited in upgrade options).

The cheapest fast computers these days have "Ryzen 3" or "Ryzen 5" processors (the "APU" versions have built-in graphics), but there is nothing "wrong" with an Intel processor. If at all possible, get a computer that you can connect two monitors to (in case you want to do that later). Don't worry about RAM and HDD/SDD size now -- 8 GB and 250 -500 GB are quite sufficient, and those things are cheap to upgrade later.

If you can get a refurbished computer with a long guarantee (say, 1 year), that may also be a good option for you. Make sure it comes with at least DDR4 memory and that it is capable of supporting either two monitors or a single large high-resolution monitor.

As for the mouse and keyboard: if none is included with your computer, get the cheapest you can find. If you pay more than $20 for a keyboard or more than $5 for a mouse, you're being silly.

Don't forget to include the price of Windows and/or Microsoft Office in your calculations ($100 per year), if you're going to use it and if it's not included in the price.

[Edited at 2020-04-13 08:41 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No enough money Apr 13, 2020

For 500 USD I don't see you can get a decent machine. You need 8 GB RAM and at least 250 GB SSD. For working at the office you should have a large monitor and a Rollermouse Pro 3. This is not the place to save.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

computer suggestions for translation work

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »