Thread poster: Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
Local time: 21:45
English to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2016

Slightly off topic, but hoping for the best.

Can anyone recommend a decent VPN? I'll be travelling around Europe a fair bit very soon and would like to make sure I've always got a secure connection, no matter where I'm connecting from. What do I even need to look for, decent, reliable bandwith I guess. But what else?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TeamViewer! Sep 12, 2016

Definitely TeamViewer in my opinion. It is a remote control software that allows you to use your usual computer from anywhere, with very decent response even with a slower Internet connection or even with a portable Wi-Fi with your cellphone.

The license is affordable and permanent. I connect to my office computer with my laptop and with any computer (with TeamViewer's software stored in a pendrive and a non-installation mode that leaves no traces behind in the computer). By using m
... See more
Definitely TeamViewer in my opinion. It is a remote control software that allows you to use your usual computer from anywhere, with very decent response even with a slower Internet connection or even with a portable Wi-Fi with your cellphone.

The license is affordable and permanent. I connect to my office computer with my laptop and with any computer (with TeamViewer's software stored in a pendrive and a non-installation mode that leaves no traces behind in the computer). By using my office computer, I have everything at hand: my software, my email, etc. and don't even need to install anything on my laptop.

Connection is very secure and encrypted all along. If you were thinking of leaving your main computer back home and then move around with a laptop or even without any computer, TeamViewer is the way to go, in my opinion.

(Some years ago I used LogMeIn, but did not like it as much; not as reliable or fast as TeamViewer.)
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Chinese to English
ExpressVPN Sep 13, 2016

Check it out--I've used it quite a bit and it's pretty good.

Maria Simmen
Maria Simmen
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should have mentioned Sep 13, 2016

that TeamViewer etc. isn't an option. There won't be a computer "back home", because there won't be a "back home". I'm taking my laptop (and another one as a backup, probably) and that's it. I'll have a look at ExpressVPN.

Thanks!

Oliver Annacker
Oliver Annacker  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
Depends Sep 13, 2016

If your main concern is the security on public (or semi-public) Wi-Fi networks, then I guess almost any VPN service will do, as long as it is subscription-based - free VPN services can be quite slow due to the large amount of users. Subscription fees range from around $5 to $20 per month with no guarantee that the more expensive ones are better.

Choosing the right service for your needs can be overwhelming, as there are so many providers out there, but if you mainly want to secure y
... See more
If your main concern is the security on public (or semi-public) Wi-Fi networks, then I guess almost any VPN service will do, as long as it is subscription-based - free VPN services can be quite slow due to the large amount of users. Subscription fees range from around $5 to $20 per month with no guarantee that the more expensive ones are better.

Choosing the right service for your needs can be overwhelming, as there are so many providers out there, but if you mainly want to secure your Wi-Fi traffic you do not really need to worry about DNS leak protection or other advanced features.

However, I would recommend a provider that offers their own connection software, preferentially based on OpenVPN. You can of course configure the connection yourself, but it is often easier to simply download and install the software package.

Also, any connection will drop every now and again without you noticing, so you might get disconnected from the VPN server and expose your traffic, but you can protect yourself from this issue by installing software like VPNCheck, which can monitor the connection and reconnect to the VPN automatically. Some providers offer this feature with their software package.

Finally, since you mentioned you would travel around it may be a good idea to choose a provider with servers in multiple countries, as the physical distance between your computer and the VPN server can impact the speed and reliability of your connection - the closer the server is to your location, the better.

ExpressVPN was already mentioned and seems a good choice, but is rather expensive. You may want to have a look at AirVPN or Anonine. There are many reviews for "the best VPN" out there which may be helpful.
Collapse

nicolebyer727
nicolebyer727
United States
RE Sep 16, 2016

Maria Bruessler wrote:

Slightly off topic, but hoping for the best.

Can anyone recommend a decent VPN? I'll be travelling around Europe a fair bit very soon and would like to make sure I've always got a secure connection, no matter where I'm connecting from. What do I even need to look for, decent, reliable bandwith I guess. But what else?

Have look at PureVPN. The best VPN to secure your connection. They offers unlimited bandwidth and 5 multi logins and servers available in almost all countries.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please explain Sep 17, 2016

Out of sheer curiosity, may I ask you what kind of network would you connect to? Do you plan to use the VPN to connect to your ISP's servers only? If so, don't they have their own VPN recommendations?

(I have used VPNs only within the realm of a company whose computers I had to connect to, and I do not quite see what you want to accomplish if this is not the situation.)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: spam

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VPN recommendations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »