Boris Shapiro
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:10
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Look at the overall picture Apr 19, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

When I use the Term Search feature, I like to see a range of suggestions. I don't always choose the term that was awarded points, because one of the other suggested terms might be more suitable in the context.

Just because a term is not "the winner" does not mean it is an invalid or a bad suggestion. Often there are several valid suggestions, and it would be unfair to penalise people who are being very helpful to their colleagues be devaluing their contributions.

What you're describing cannot possibly be the case when a person has *thousands* of answers to his name, of which repeatedly only a fraction gets accepted as useful.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Say what? Apr 19, 2019

I can't speak for any other language pairs, but in mine(ES-EN), I don't think there are many people "spamming the system with their answers on the off-chance that they actually hit it"... Of course, there are a few egregious persistent offenders whose suggestions are, let's just say of doubtful quality, but most of them tend to be a source of mild amusement rather than opprobrium.

[Edited at 2019-04-19 09:25 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Answered to selected ratio Apr 19, 2019

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Then there is Boris' suggested answered-to-asked ratio, which is a good factor.

Actually, I thought Boris suggested to use the answered/selected ratio...

@Andy - I think part of the "issue" (also discussed at length in the past) was that there are users that in their long years of membership (or "usership") accrued a bazillion kudoz, therefore they're basically unreachable. As for me, I don't have strong feelings either way, but IMO both positions make good points.

Boris Shapiro
Boris Shapiro
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Apr 19, 2019

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
@Andy - I think part of the "issue" (also discussed at length in the past) was that there are users that in their long years of membership (or "usership") accrued a bazillion kudoz, therefore they're basically unreachable. As for me, I don't have strong feelings either way, but IMO both positions make good points.

It does indeed sort of penalize the newcomers. I do think having a solid track record (even if it is a short one - within reasonable limits, of course) must weight more than the fact that you've simply started playing the game earlier.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
signal-to-noise ratio Apr 19, 2019

While the best answers in KudoZ aren't always objectively right, nor they fit the context often, let alone allowable duplicates and friends' answers, I don't think KudoZ Help network is a circus arena for personal beefs, hang-ups, or ad hominem competitions.

It makes sense only if such the efficiency will really improve somebody's rating, making KudoZ cleaner.

I like the idea about fading out points, when the current (not total!) score is
... See more
While the best answers in KudoZ aren't always objectively right, nor they fit the context often, let alone allowable duplicates and friends' answers, I don't think KudoZ Help network is a circus arena for personal beefs, hang-ups, or ad hominem competitions.

It makes sense only if such the efficiency will really improve somebody's rating, making KudoZ cleaner.

I like the idea about fading out points, when the current (not total!) score is zeroed out--say--on January, 1.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:10
Danish to English
+ ...
Decay Apr 19, 2019

Andy Watkinson wrote:

But what I don't understand is this idea of attaching more importance to recent answers than those from xx years ago.

I joined ProZ about 18 years ago, discovered KudoZ, thought "Eh up, lad! This looks like fun" and immediately started answering anything that moved. I acquired a couple of thousand points fairly quickly, continued for a bit and over recent years probably average a couple of answers a month, if that.

So, my recent contributions might not add up to much but I don't see my sixty-something rate of chosen answers in Catalan or fifty odd in Law* being any less valid or useful now than they were when asked. Someone might well have used one of them yesterday for all I know, the same way I obtain valuable information from answers posted by former colleagues who even left the site years ago.

i.e., their knowledge, experience, reliability are no less valid now than then.
In fact, all three are probably greater now than then, given the time elapsed. Afer all, you don't say "Hendrix hasn't played anything for 50 years. Francis Rossi is now a better guitarist."

And I'm decaying quite nicely all on my sweet own, thank you.
I don't need my reputation following suit.

All valid arguments.

But consider a situation with two equally competent and productive Kudoz performers, A having started in 2001, B in 2011. A will forever get a better indexing than B even though they are equally competent, simply because he started ten years earlier than B. It's very difficult for B to catch up. I was imagining a decay rate of perhaps 50% over 40 years, just as a slightly moderating factor, but nothing dramatic. There is a balance to consider between many different factors, yours included.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, indeed Apr 19, 2019

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Then there is Boris' suggested answered-to-asked ratio, which is a good factor.

Actually, I thought Boris suggested to use the answered/selected ratio...

Yes, indeed; thanks for pointing it out. It was late enough yesterday evening for my concentration to be decaying.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:10
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
"Everything has already been discovered" © Apr 19, 2019

Boris Shapiro wrote:
Individual KudoZ efficiency metric

Jared Tabor wrote:
Answer acceptance rate

This issue has been discussed plenty of times in various ProZ forums. It's easy to find these discussions by Proz.com search. Answer is that simple solutions like "Answer acceptance rate" are not suitable for the same simple reasons. And it seams hardly possible to propose really objective metric.

But those employers who want to check "Answer acceptance rate", can do this easily by visiting answer's profile and looking for "Questions answered" and "PRO-level points" fields there. Simple calculations would help:

Answer acceptance rate = PRO-level points / 4*Questions answered ©

However "All ingenious is simple, but not all simple is ingenious"

[Edited at 2019-04-19 14:08 GMT]

Katalin Szilárd

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Read between the lines Apr 19, 2019

Kudoz reveals a lot about both poster and answerers, if you take the time to read between the lines....

Apolonia Dermit
DZiW (X)
Michele Fauble
Robert Forstag
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Christopher Schröder
Yvonne Gallagher

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Taking a step back Apr 19, 2019

As a non-paying member, it makes no difference how many points I acquire, or what points ratio I hit, which maybe gives me a different perspective.

I view KudoZ mainly as a form of entertainment. Most terms have already been answered. So most of the fun comes from the stupid questions, the stupid answers, the stupid spats. It’s quality people watching. It’s like the forums only better. Long may it continue!

Thomas T. Frost
Mirko Mainardi
Daryo

Boris Shapiro
Boris Shapiro
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure, but... Apr 19, 2019

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Kudoz reveals a lot about both poster and answerers, if you take the time to read between the lines....

Imagine rating members by age. That wouldn't stop a potential client from digging deeper, even using the ol' calculator to assess the 'conversion rate'. But that doesn't help him much either, wouldn't you agree?

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 16:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Ah! Someone else is seeing the light! Apr 19, 2019

Chris S wrote:

I view KudoZ mainly as a form of entertainment. Most terms have already been answered. So most of the fun comes from the stupid questions, the stupid answers, the stupid spats. It’s quality people watching. It’s like the forums only better. Long may it continue!

If those incompetent and presumptuous folks stop making complete fools of themselves in public forums, what are we going to do for entertainment? Watch the Kardashians?

Christopher Schröder
Daryo

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Great! Apr 19, 2019

Chris S wrote:

As a non-paying member, it makes no difference how many points I acquire, or what points ratio I hit, which maybe gives me a different perspective.

So you would like it to carry on as it is? Excellent!

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Reality translation Apr 19, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Chris S wrote:

So you would like it to carry on as it is? Excellent!

Perhaps we could just rename it to Real Translation Nightmares or something like that, then. Problem solved.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Really? Apr 19, 2019

Boris Shapiro wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

When I use the Term Search feature, I like to see a range of suggestions. I don't always choose the term that was awarded points, because one of the other suggested terms might be more suitable in the context.

Just because a term is not "the winner" does not mean it is an invalid or a bad suggestion. Often there are several valid suggestions, and it would be unfair to penalise people who are being very helpful to their colleagues be devaluing their contributions.

What you're describing cannot possibly be the case when a person has *thousands* of answers to his name, of which repeatedly only a fraction gets accepted as useful.

Perhaps you could go into a little more detail?

Remember that people who contribute suggestions state their "confidence level" as well, so the system encourages people to contribute ideas that may or may not be useful, secure in the knowledge that their peers will let them know if they are completely on the wrong track.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feature suggestion: Individual KudoZ efficiency metric

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »