Open kudoz questions
Thread poster: Maja_K
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:49
French to English
No Jul 17, 2019

I don't send emails. When I started submitting answers on KudoZ, I followed the progress of the questions with interest, but now I just make my suggestion and move on. If someone doesn't give any feedback, I tend to think they are under pressure of deadlines and have simply forgotten. That's forgivable.

ahartje
Christine Andersen
Zeineb Nalouti

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 23:49
English to Russian
+ ...
No, but Jul 17, 2019

I am not quite sure what kind of "feedback" you have in mind? A detailed linguistic and subject matter review? An explanation of some sort, or just "Thank you"? The first two may turn into a nightmare of the "Be careful what you wish for" kind...

In EN-RU pair we have a good custom of thanking the colleagues agreeing with us, and use discussion entries to elaborate on things. I don't believe that any other feedback should be required, save selecting an answer with grading, at least
... See more
I am not quite sure what kind of "feedback" you have in mind? A detailed linguistic and subject matter review? An explanation of some sort, or just "Thank you"? The first two may turn into a nightmare of the "Be careful what you wish for" kind...

In EN-RU pair we have a good custom of thanking the colleagues agreeing with us, and use discussion entries to elaborate on things. I don't believe that any other feedback should be required, save selecting an answer with grading, at least any answer. I don't believe that emails demanding anything more would be such a good idea. What is the point of asking for any feedback from someone who can not even pick the right answer? Do you feel like engaging into an endless debate with a clueless Asker? I wouldn't want to send or receive any such emails. I do what I can out of my free will, and I want my good deeds to go unpunished.

It would be "too much", IMHO. We are free to choose with whom we want to deal on Kudoz pages, and whom we want to ignore. Many Askers add a nice short comment but, really, this is no college where your professor must come back with some kind of an answer or a review. And I am no customer service with follow-up questionnaries. Many of us look at it as pure fun and just a game, many stopped answering to the incompetent freeloaders.

I wouldn't want any additional complications around Kudos Q/As.

Cheers,
Irina
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have a few questions open Jul 17, 2019

I have kept them open because none of the answers really helped. While not giving feedback can be considered as lack of courtesy, I feel it rude to tell the answerers that their answers didn't help.

I left those questions open in a hope that other linguists would agree to one of the answers to the effect that it would be automatically closed.

If someone emails me about the fact that my questions are still open, I'd feel annoyed.

I'm with Lincoln and Elizabe
... See more
I have kept them open because none of the answers really helped. While not giving feedback can be considered as lack of courtesy, I feel it rude to tell the answerers that their answers didn't help.

I left those questions open in a hope that other linguists would agree to one of the answers to the effect that it would be automatically closed.

If someone emails me about the fact that my questions are still open, I'd feel annoyed.

I'm with Lincoln and Elizabeth on this one.

[Edited at 2019-07-17 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Elizabeth Tamblin

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I add a comment in the discussion field Jul 18, 2019

I am not so active as I used to be, but in the past at any rate, I added a comment in the discussion field, and added my own agrees, if I had not already done so, to the answer I considered best among those offered.

Then the asker would get another reminder, and there was a chance that another vote would close the question.

Quite apart from politeness to individual answers, the idea behind KudoZ was to build a glossary for everyone to use, and I have found earlier entri
... See more
I am not so active as I used to be, but in the past at any rate, I added a comment in the discussion field, and added my own agrees, if I had not already done so, to the answer I considered best among those offered.

Then the asker would get another reminder, and there was a chance that another vote would close the question.

Quite apart from politeness to individual answers, the idea behind KudoZ was to build a glossary for everyone to use, and I have found earlier entries useful on many occasions - the same question may turn up again.

Answers may be easier to find elsewhere than they were in the earlier days of KudoZ, but I think it is still important to use a few minutes on completing the question and thanking answerers.

However, I have learned never to take KudoZ personally. Enter an answer and forget it, then the points come as a pleasant surprise.
Although it IS irritating, if you have been following a question hoping someone else knew a better solution than your own, and nothing comes up!
Collapse

Zeineb Nalouti
Kevin Fulton
Elizabeth Tamblin
Robert Forstag
Michele Fauble
IrinaN

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open kudoz questions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »