Thread poster: Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
German to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2018

My brother is rehoming a rescue dog from Spain, and would like to know a few basic dog behaviour commands in Spanish. Can anyone suggest the most commonly used terms for "sit", "stay", "come here" etc.? He can't find anything consistent online.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'll make enquiries Oct 29, 2018

I have a Costa Rican friend who has two (tiny) dogs and I'll be seeing her on Thursday evening. I'll ask her about dog commands in Spanish and report back - although by then you'll probably have received answers from many others here.

Rosalind Haigh
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jennifer! Oct 29, 2018

The dog isn't arriving until the weekend

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Tone of voice and hand signals Oct 29, 2018

Dogs are incredibly smart. Imo giving a command in English and reinforcing it with hand signals (and positive reinforcement (praise and treats) will work too. The dog will quickly adapt. Rescue dogs need patience. As soon as the dog bonds with the new person in his/her life, language won't be an iss... See more
Dogs are incredibly smart. Imo giving a command in English and reinforcing it with hand signals (and positive reinforcement (praise and treats) will work too. The dog will quickly adapt. Rescue dogs need patience. As soon as the dog bonds with the new person in his/her life, language won't be an issue.
Just in case:

https://www.dog-training-excellence.com/spanish-dog-commands.html
Collapse

MollyRose

Rosalind Haigh
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the link Oct 29, 2018

It's actually one we had found already among others.
He's very used to having dogs and is great at training them and keeping them happy! He just thought that hearing commands it already understood might make it easier for the dog to settle in.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
They're generally more cumbersome than English commands Oct 29, 2018

I live in Spain and use both English and Spanish randomly with my dog; not surprisingly, he seems to understand context, intention and gesture best!

But anyway, in Spain, sit = siéntate, and stay = quédate (+ allí, for extra emphasis), both with the stress on the accented letter. Come = ven (+ aquí, for extra emphasis), with the v pronounced somewhere between a b and a v. Good boy/girl = buen chico/chica, and good dog = buen perro/perra. Luckily, "no" is the same in both langua
... See more
I live in Spain and use both English and Spanish randomly with my dog; not surprisingly, he seems to understand context, intention and gesture best!

But anyway, in Spain, sit = siéntate, and stay = quédate (+ allí, for extra emphasis), both with the stress on the accented letter. Come = ven (+ aquí, for extra emphasis), with the v pronounced somewhere between a b and a v. Good boy/girl = buen chico/chica, and good dog = buen perro/perra. Luckily, "no" is the same in both languages.

This is assuming the dog has been taught any commands at all... I hope your brother has a lovely time with his rescue dog
Collapse

Rosalind Haigh
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Denise Oct 29, 2018

Those look helpful! Yes, hoping the dog has not had a totally horrible life so far.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 13:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bilingualism Oct 29, 2018

Both my dog and my two children demonstrate the ability to disobey in Spanish and in English.

I hear people in the dog park across the way from our house using English commands anyway, except for "lie down", when they say "splash". Don't ask me why.

And my husband, whose contact with dogs prior to the arrival of our collie was solely in a farmyard context, mainly says "tuso", which I've always thought meant "get down", but on consultation just now I discover it's "dog"
... See more
Both my dog and my two children demonstrate the ability to disobey in Spanish and in English.

I hear people in the dog park across the way from our house using English commands anyway, except for "lie down", when they say "splash". Don't ask me why.

And my husband, whose contact with dogs prior to the arrival of our collie was solely in a farmyard context, mainly says "tuso", which I've always thought meant "get down", but on consultation just now I discover it's "dog" with the tone indicating the "get down" bit, and "zape", which IS "get down/go away" but supposedly for cats only.

Ah, beware though: that clicking sound [lateral click] that you may use to call a dog or encourage a horse in the UK means quite a different thing to a Spanish dog [or a Japanese one for that matter]. Here it is a warning, go-away sound, so avoid using it, otherwise you will have one very confused hound.
Collapse

Rosalind Haigh
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Warning duly noted Oct 29, 2018

Thanks Noni!

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rescue dogs Oct 29, 2018

Although several different breeds of dogs are used for search and rescue, many times they use German Shepherds specifically trained as a puppy first in Germany, and all his training since then would have also been in German. So you might want to learn German commands!

Or did you mean that it is a rescueD dog?

Rosalind Haigh
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rescue dog = rescued dog! Oct 29, 2018

Thanks for your comments but yes indeed, in British usage a rescue dog is one that has been rescued!

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hooray for rescuers and the rescued! Oct 29, 2018

It sounds like they will all be happy together.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dog commands in Spanish

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »