Off topic: A thank you to all of the Proz community!
Thread poster: Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Brazil
Local time: 12:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 31, 2018

Hello everyone, happy new year!

I want to give an honest and heartfelt thank you to all the people who have helped me so much this year!

I started my freelance translation career back in April, literally from zero, and this community helped me a lot with good advice and words of encouragement.

Since April, I have worked on a lot of different projects, got a couple of direct clients, a couple returning clients and even started working with 2 translation age
... See more
Hello everyone, happy new year!

I want to give an honest and heartfelt thank you to all the people who have helped me so much this year!

I started my freelance translation career back in April, literally from zero, and this community helped me a lot with good advice and words of encouragement.

Since April, I have worked on a lot of different projects, got a couple of direct clients, a couple returning clients and even started working with 2 translation agencies, which is great! Even if they only send me work every once in a while.

There were some rough times, I had to deal, and still have to deal, with a lot of anxiety and maybe even a little depression, but people here on Proz have helped me a lot!

2018 taught me that I can do it, that I can be successful and have a career translating, and, more importantly, that I have to have persistence and keep on keeping on.

Now, 2019 will be a year for growth and experimentation to me; I'm going to revamp my resume and start contacting translation companies, I will create a professional website for my business, I will be more active on social média and try to find ways to promote myself more! And my main objective will be to build a clientele and forge long-term professional relationships.

Wish me luck everyone, and, once again...

THANK YOU!!!

Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Congratulations Jan 2, 2019

Congratulations Richard, I think you have done really well for a first year. It often takes a year or two to get established. You have great plans for the coming year, i wish you lots of success!

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Ricki Farn
ahartje
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Vera Schoen
Thayenga

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Tina! Jan 2, 2019

I'm actually rewriting my resume right now,

Does anyone know if It is ok to ask people to review my resume here in the forum after I upload the new version later this week?

What about my introduction letter?

The old one is a bit of a mess, but it did get me working with 2 agencies, even if they only send me work every once in a while....

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:22
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's the way to go! Jan 2, 2019

Keep on keeping on, definitely.

Do your best, make yourself visible, and keep up a dialogue with your clients. Quality is not always giving them what they ask for - it is giving them what they need! When you know know better than they do, you have to convince them. Show respect for their expertise if you need to ask for terminology or more details about the job, and they will respect you as a professional too.

Best of luck, and happy New Year to you too.

Richard Mendes Ribeiro

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Christine. Jan 2, 2019

Yes, I always keep in contact with my best clients, sending holiday greetings and even just saying hi sometimes.

I need to socialize more, I'm also going to create social media pages for my professional side this year.

Theres so many things to do....

Baby steps, Richard, baby steps....

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Good job! Jan 3, 2019

You really have achieved a lot in less than one year. Good on you!
And, actually, your positive post describing your progress and strategic goals for the future is excellent marketing.
Best of luck for the future – I’m sure yours is a bright one!

[Edited at 2019-01-03 09:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-03 09:54 GMT]

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Matheus Chaud

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Vera! Jan 3, 2019

Marketing you say, how so? can you please elaborate?

Thank you!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:22
Dutch to English
+ ...
Proz email Jan 3, 2019

Hi Richard,

In case you have not seen it yet, proz has an upcoming course called 'Five Super Effective Email Templates for Reaching Your Dream Clients'. That may be just the thing for you.

Richard Mendes Ribeiro

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
On several levels Jan 3, 2019

Visibility: The more you contribute, the greater the chance you will be noticed. Getting noticed is, of course, a must in a competitive business like ours.
Showing ambition and long-term strategies: Thus, telling potential clients you are taking your profession seriously.
Positivity: Indicates to potential clients that cooperating with you will probably run smoothly and without complications.
Every word we publish on various sites may grow client’s interest in us, or – if
... See more
Visibility: The more you contribute, the greater the chance you will be noticed. Getting noticed is, of course, a must in a competitive business like ours.
Showing ambition and long-term strategies: Thus, telling potential clients you are taking your profession seriously.
Positivity: Indicates to potential clients that cooperating with you will probably run smoothly and without complications.
Every word we publish on various sites may grow client’s interest in us, or – if we are being too negative – have them put off.
Collapse

Richard Mendes Ribeiro

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Well done Jan 3, 2019

Congratulations Richard on your accomplishments.

Your enthusiastic focus on your goals is inspiring and sends a spark of professionalism to your clients. This is what your profile here displays. And it's "short and sweet", that is, it displays all information that a potential client needs, except for your rates. Personally I believe that this is good because it leaves you room for negotiating the rate based on the pro
... See more
Congratulations Richard on your accomplishments.

Your enthusiastic focus on your goals is inspiring and sends a spark of professionalism to your clients. This is what your profile here displays. And it's "short and sweet", that is, it displays all information that a potential client needs, except for your rates. Personally I believe that this is good because it leaves you room for negotiating the rate based on the project's requirements.

If you are a member - or intend to become one - of a Translators Association, you can not only display it on your profile page but also integrate it into your signature block.

Happy New Year and much success in 2019!
Collapse

Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Richard Mendes Ribeiro
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Thayenga and vera! Jan 3, 2019

I hope 2019 goes well for me!

I get so anxious during the slow times as a freelancer, but it's been months since I had a week without getting at least a small project to work on...

I guess I'm still getting used to the rollercoaster that is freelancing : )

Oh well, my anxieties aside, gotta keep rolling right?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A thank you to all of the Proz community!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »