Seeking a software utility to combine many RESX files into a single file for translation.
Thread poster: Larry Clark
Larry Clark
Larry Clark
United States
Apr 29, 2020

We localize individual RESX files using the across CAT tool with no issues. However, one of our updated projects contains almost 100 RESX files, which is possible but not practical to manage. Does anyone know of a method or utility to merge or combine or bundle multiple RESX files into a single file for localization, then separate the files after localization?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:45
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try... Apr 29, 2020

... some other CAT-tool (SDL or memoQ) to generate a joint XLIFF. After translation, do the reverse process.

[Редактировалось 2020-04-29 21:03 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:45
Danish to English
+ ...
View Apr 29, 2020

MemoQ supports resx files. In MemoQ there's no need to generate any xliff or other intermediary files. You just import the lot and create a view, in which you can work as if it were one single file (this doesn't prevent you from opening and working in any single file in case you need that). When you export the files, they are exported separately.

Stepan Konev
John Fossey
Sergei Leshchinsky

Noel McCourt
Noel McCourt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:45
English
No license required solutions Apr 30, 2020

The solutions above will work but a license purchase might be required. If this is a one-off then the trial versions may work but for a long term solution without a licence there some free online tools. These work in the same way; you upload all the RESX to a single project and you can export the full project to XLIFF for translation in any tool you prefer. Once translated, reimport and generate the target RESX.

One of these I would recommend is Smartcat (but full disclosure, my com
... See more
The solutions above will work but a license purchase might be required. If this is a one-off then the trial versions may work but for a long term solution without a licence there some free online tools. These work in the same way; you upload all the RESX to a single project and you can export the full project to XLIFF for translation in any tool you prefer. Once translated, reimport and generate the target RESX.

One of these I would recommend is Smartcat (but full disclosure, my company is part of their partner network). It works as described above but have a look at some others (e.g. Matecat, Smartling). As with any solution or new process, test first before full committing.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Larry Apr 30, 2020

Larry Clark wrote:
Does anyone know of a method or utility to merge or combine or bundle multiple RESX files into a single file for localization, then separate the files after localization?

Well, I have a set of AutoIt scripts that I use to merge TXML files into a single TXML file and then back into separate TXML files. I adapted them for RESX, but whether this works depends on many things, e.g. whether my test RESX files are really RESX files, whether Across will retain XML comments in the RESX file, etc.

You can give it a spin, but I'm having trouble testing it because I've never worked with RESX files before and my own CAT tools seem unwilling to see the segments in my test files.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/RESX%20merge%20and%20split.zip

[Edited at 2020-04-30 13:07 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Thomas Apr 30, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
In MemoQ there's no need to generate any XLIFF or other intermediary files. You just import the lot and create a view, in which you can work as if it were one single file...

I understood Sergei's suggestion to mean how to create a single merged file that can be translated in **Across**.

[Edited at 2020-05-01 09:33 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:45
English to Spanish
Merged XLIFF Apr 30, 2020

Hi,

You can use Swordfish to create one XLIFF from multiple ResX files. You can use Swordfish in trial mode for 30 days.

Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Larry, re: Sergei's suggestion May 1, 2020

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Try some other CAT-tool (SDL or memoQ) to generate a joint XLIFF. After translation, do the reverse process.

In Trados, you have to merge the files during project creation, but in MemoQ, you glue the files only after the project was created.

Trados

In Trados, when creating a new project and after you've added the files, select them all and then click the icon that is labelled "Merge Selected Files".

merge files in trados

This creates a merged SDLXLIFF file, which will appear in the target language subfolder of the project folder, which you may be able to translate in Across. Then, in the end, put the translated SDLXLIFF file back in the target language subfolder and open it in Trados. Then right-click the file and select Batch Tasks > Generate Target Translations. (There is a known bug in Trados whereby you can't saves translations if the source files are SDLXLIFF files, but it works for other files.)

MemoQ

AFAIK the process for MemoQ is as follows: after the project was created, you can select some or all files in the project, right-click and select "Create View". Then, right-click the View and select "Export Bilingual". For Across, I assume XLIFF would be a good option. Then, after you've translated the files, come back to your "view" and select it, and then go Document tab > Import > Update from bilingual. And when that is done, export the individual files to RESX again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking a software utility to combine many RESX files into a single file for translation.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »