Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:17
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google Translation Toolkit Aug 14, 2013

I was contacted recently by an agency. I checked the Blue Board, answered all their questions and filled in the respective form they sent me. However, a week ago I received another email, the end of which I am posting below:

'...Currently, you are still being listed as one of our primary translators for the language pair(s) involved. We need a little bit more information in order to make our final selection of the vendors for this contract:

- The translator is willing
... See more
I was contacted recently by an agency. I checked the Blue Board, answered all their questions and filled in the respective form they sent me. However, a week ago I received another email, the end of which I am posting below:

'...Currently, you are still being listed as one of our primary translators for the language pair(s) involved. We need a little bit more information in order to make our final selection of the vendors for this contract:

- The translator is willing to accept monthly payment.
Again, as we mentioned above, this is a high-volume, long-term project. So (agency's name) will accumulate the payment and send out the paycheck to each vendor once a month, waiving minimum fees. The pay period is every 30 days.

Would you like to learn Google Translation Toolkit?
This is free and available online. Training will be provided upon request to help you learn this tool (please see the attached GTT Training information for details).

YES _______ NO ________

If you would like to work with us, then please confirm with us your translation & editing rate (a combined rate for both services) and we will be in touch soon. Thank you for your interest in working with us on this high-volume and long-term contract. We appreciate your time and support, and we look forward to the opportunity to work with you!'

My first reaction was to feel suspicious about the whole thing (it was the YES/NO at the bottom, as well as the attached GTT training information that did it) and so I ignored the message. However, I have just received another email from the agency and I really don't know what to think.

At the moment I'm not looking for a long-term contract with anyone but, on the other hand, I don't like refusing work without a valid reason.

Am I being over-cautious?
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT and Confidentiality Agreements

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »