Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:36
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which takes us back to... Oct 7, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
This discussion is not about unauthorised access but about authorised access.

Then clearly one should not use Google Translate with any CAT tool: by using it, you are authorising Google to access the information...

From Google Translate's API terms:
- Section 2, Submission of content: "Google does not claim any ownership in the content that you submit or in the translations of that content returned by the API."

In a legal text, what is being said is just what appears in the text, and nothing else. They only say that they do not claim ownership, but by no means do they say that they will not use the contents or that your contents will remain confidential.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:36
Finnish to French
Policy of Google Translate for Data confidentiality Oct 7, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
From Google Translate's API terms:
- Section 2, Submission of content: "Google does not claim any ownership in the content that you submit or in the translations of that content returned by the API."

In a legal text, what is being said is just what appears in the text, and nothing else. They only say that they do not claim ownership, but by no means do they say that they will not use the contents or that your contents will remain confidential.

Here is another quote, from the Data confidentiality section of their FAQ:

Does Google look at or use the text I send for translation?
Google will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the service.
Will Google share the text I translate with others?
We will not make the content of the text that you translate available to the public, or share it with anyone else, except as necessary to provide the Translate API service. For example, sometimes we may need to use a third-party vendor to help us provide some aspect of our services, such as storage or transmission of data. We won’t share the text that you translate with any other parties, or make it public, for any other purpose.

Perhaps you will argue that since it's "only" a FAQ, it's not legally binding?

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who cares about Google's policy? Oct 7, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Perhaps you will argue that since it's "only" a FAQ, it's not legally binding?

Again, it doesn't matter what is Google's policy on confidentiality. You are giving something that is not yours to somebody who is not the legal owner, without authorization from the legal owner.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
I care Oct 7, 2012

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:
Who cares about Google's policy?

I certainly do care: I would not be using Google Translate if I knew data I send to the service would or could be published later on.

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:36
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Google Translate and... Oct 7, 2012

...email (unless within a protected network with no link to the Web) are insecure. End of story.

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
there is NO privacy/confidentiality in the internet (in general) Oct 8, 2012

Google says it very clear:
"Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations,
... See more
Google says it very clear:
"Your Content in our Services

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

You can find more information about how Google uses and stores content in the privacy policy or additional terms for particular Services. If you submit feedback or suggestions about our Services, we may use your feedback or suggestions without obligation to you."
http://www.google.com/policies/terms/

I agree with the idea that if the client is using gmail to send you the files, they are already put to work by the email provider's indexers. This, however, means nothing in case of a confidentiality breach claim.
I think of some of securely (read: domestic/consumer level security) transmitting a file: through a secured ftp server, using your own email server and requiring the client to logon on a secured connection, using encryption software for the email/document (PGP, etc).
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two contradictions, enough sign of danger to me Oct 8, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Here is another quote, from the Data confidentiality section of their FAQ:

Does Google look at or use the text I send for translation?
Google will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the service.
Will Google share the text I translate with others?
We will not make the content of the text that you translate available to the public, or share it with anyone else, except as necessary to provide the Translate API service. For example, sometimes we may need to use a third-party vendor to help us provide some aspect of our services, such as storage or transmission of data. We won’t share the text that you translate with any other parties, or make it public, for any other purpose.

Indeed this is only FAQ and not a legal text, but what concerns me is the following:
1. In the first paragraph they say "to provide you" with the service, while in the second paragraph they say "...except as necessary to provide the Translate API service". So is it only to you, or to provide it in general?

2. They say that your customers' texts will not be shown to others, but they do not say that they will not be used as part of their statistical process.

They clearly use your customers' sentences as part of the corpus of information used to provide the service (to you and to everyone else), and in supplying Google with such sentences, whether they will be directly visible by others or only used for internal processes, you are in breach of your privacy commitment.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
You see contradictions, I don't Oct 8, 2012

Indeed this is only FAQ and not a legal text, but what concerns me is the following:
1. In the first paragraph they say "to provide you" with the service, while in the second paragraph they say "...except as necessary to provide the Translate API service". So is it only to you, or to provide it in general?

They do give examples of what they mean by except "as necessary to provide the Translate API service". To me, it is clear that they don't mean "as necessary to provide the Translate API service TO SOMEONE ELSE", which is what you seem to imply / how you want to understand it.
2. They say that your customers' texts will not be shown to others, but they do not say that they will not be used as part of their statistical process.

They clearly use your customers' sentences as part of the corpus of information used to provide the service (to you and to everyone else), and in supplying Google with such sentences, whether they will be directly visible by others or only used for internal processes, you are in breach of your privacy commitment.

What they collect from you via the API amounts to a monolingual corpus. Why on earth would they want/need to use this "as part of their statistical process"? They have free access to all kinds of monolingual corpora (everything freely available on the web), so why would they need to use the data they receive from you via the API? Statistically speaking, it offers no particular benefits from the point of view of improving their service: Google Translate is built mostly on bilingual/multilingual corpora, and what little monolingual material they need to get information about specific aspects of a language (for instance, whether a word is masculine or feminine, what preposition is most often used after a certain verb etc.), they can obtain it much more easily than by scanning your precious little source texts.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tomás Oct 8, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Then clearly one should not use Google Translate with any CAT tool, [because...]

Exactly -- if one does choose to use Google Translate, it should be because one had examined the terms of service and privacy policy of Google Translate and have satisfied oneself that what one authorises them to do does not breach confidentiality. If one chooses not to use Google Translate, it should not be because of any superstition one might have about Google specifically or about large corporations in general, but because of one's examination of and interpretation of their terms of service and privacy policy.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not ours to give Oct 8, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I certainly do care: I would not be using Google Translate if I knew data I send to the service would or could be published later on.

The thing is, you should not be using Google Translate unless your client has authorized you specifically to use it. After all, it's not your data to give it to a third party, never mind if this third party uses it or not.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Oct 8, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Then clearly one should not use Google Translate with any CAT tool, [because...]

Exactly -- if one does choose to use Google Translate, it should be because one had examined the terms of service and privacy policy of Google Translate and have satisfied oneself that what one authorises them to do does not breach confidentiality. If one chooses not to use Google Translate, it should not be because of any superstition one might have about Google specifically or about large corporations in general, but because of one's examination of and interpretation of their terms of service and privacy policy.

Superstition? Large corporations? Please do not imply things I have not said.

In any case, Google's terms do not satisfy me enough that they will not use the sentences in any way at all, and after all what the original poster is asking is our opinion on the matter. That, and nothing else, is what I am giving, the same way you do.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Legal texts do not say whatever they do not say Oct 8, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

They do give examples of what they mean by except "as necessary to provide the Translate API service". To me, it is clear that they don't mean "as necessary to provide the Translate API service TO SOMEONE ELSE", which is what you seem to imply / how you want to understand it.

It is not how I want to understand it... the fact is that they only say "to provide the Translate API service"... and nothing else. They do not specify, and if they do not specify, you can imply "to you" or "to someone else" and the sentence would be equally applicable.

Furthermore, what kind of methods and processes will be "necessary to provide the Translate API service"? This "as necessary" could imply that they only take your sentence, give you a translation, and forget the sentence altogether... but the fact is that they do store the information, process it, hand it over to third parties for storage or processes, etc.

I will trust Google's terms when they are very explicit and simply say: "The source sentences are never stored in our systems after delivery of the target translation proposal." or a similar statement.

Aurora Humarán
Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to Spanish
... Oct 8, 2012

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

never mind if this third party uses it or not.

Exactly!

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Move thread to MT forum or close it Oct 8, 2012

Aurora Humarán wrote:
Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:
never mind if this third party uses it or not.

Exactly!

I think it's time to move this thread to the forum dedicated to machine translation or to close it, as everyone has made their point and the thread is not really related to Wordfast, except for the fact it's the tool the original poster happens to be using.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Suppose Oct 8, 2012

I get a order to translate the website of Banana & Coconut. (I hope it does not exist)

I get docs and Excel files for this, why the hell should I don't use GT for this?

Where is the difference if a copy a phrase of the doc or direct from the homepage? which new information am I given to Google?

If I translate the Terms and conditions of this Site and I see are standard paragraphs used 1000 times, why can I not use, for example, linguee to translate it? I wi
... See more
I get a order to translate the website of Banana & Coconut. (I hope it does not exist)

I get docs and Excel files for this, why the hell should I don't use GT for this?

Where is the difference if a copy a phrase of the doc or direct from the homepage? which new information am I given to Google?

If I translate the Terms and conditions of this Site and I see are standard paragraphs used 1000 times, why can I not use, for example, linguee to translate it? I will find there for sure better translation as I could do, and this in a few seconds...
If I have a list of rare plants for a stupid cream, should I search in Glossaries, Wikipedia, etc. verbatim?, why can I not find the complete list in a second with Google T?

Confidentiality? Yes, but just for confidential issues...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confidentiality with using Google Translate

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »