Maria Teresa Pozzi
Maria Teresa Pozzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:59
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 27, 2012

Dear all,

I wanted to have your opinion on the quality of machine translation for the language pair German>Italian.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Quality of machine translation?? Dec 27, 2012

Imo that in itself is a contradiction in terms

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably better than for German as target Dec 27, 2012

The German verb is a major obstacle for MT. In many cases it comes up with two or three verbs at the end of the sentence. So probably Italian is easier. but I have no real knowledge.
I'm sometimes surprised how well MT translates, and it is certainly more helpful than a dictionary alone.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Quality? Dec 27, 2012

I noticed that you have recently attended a course on Machine Translation, what were your impressions? Why are you posing the question? For my part, I will not touch machine translation for several reasons and, alike Writeaway, I think that putting the words quality and machine translation in one sentence would shiver the bones of many a linguist...

[Edited at 2012-12-27 14:38 GMT]

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 10:59
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use your experience Dec 27, 2012

In my primary language pair (English to Dutch), machine translation can be useful for certain types of text. I sometimes get quite good suggestions out of it, but the grammar is almost always wrong. In other words, machine translation, to me, is a tool that I can use in certain circumstances.

It however also holds certain risks. Not concerning the correctness of my end result (because I only use it as inspiration, not as a replacement), but rather concerning the creative process of
... See more
In my primary language pair (English to Dutch), machine translation can be useful for certain types of text. I sometimes get quite good suggestions out of it, but the grammar is almost always wrong. In other words, machine translation, to me, is a tool that I can use in certain circumstances.

It however also holds certain risks. Not concerning the correctness of my end result (because I only use it as inspiration, not as a replacement), but rather concerning the creative process of translating. Seeing a machine-generated suggestion sometimes fences in your own inspiration. In that case, you may end up with a translation that is correct but not as good as it could have been without using machine translation as an "extended dictionary".

If you are asking whether or not machine translation is good enough to replace human translation, I would say no - at least not in my language pair. And at least not for the easily available machine translations such as Google or Microsoft.

But you can easily try it out yourself by submitting a text to one of those and by checking if the result is at all useful to you. For some materials, it might. For others, it won't.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You must be joking! Dec 27, 2012

It takes quite a lot of experience and knowledge of the German mindset and culture to make good translation from German into Roman languages. As others have pointed out, "quality in machine translation" is the new oxymoron.

Maria Teresa Pozzi
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just curiosity Dec 27, 2012

The course was quite general. In fact the "quality" of MT greatly depends in the laguages. With German it doesn't work because of the structure, but in some other cases the result was not a complete disaster.
It was just curiosity, I don't think MT can replace human translation.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
For what I have seen Dec 27, 2012

it does not work for my primary language pair (English-European Portuguese) either...

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Analysis of Post-editing of automated operation Feb 14, 2013

teapozzi wrote:

Dear all,

I wanted to have your opinion on the quality of machine translation for the language pair German>Italian.

Compare with:

Analysis of Post-editing of Speach Recognition from Czech speech-to-text

Main issue is segmentation and a case on beginnig of sentence

http://www.condak.net/titulky/tedx/cs/07.html

Machine translation can be combined with more MT at one moment at one segment. Look at segment with suggestions from Amagama (TM) and Microsoft (MT). From translation memory and from machine translation.

Some segments are translated quite good, the translations of CZ to 10 languages by Google Translate, you can see a pair CS-DE on one screenshot

http://www.condak.net/titulky/tedx/cs/08.html
==

To the topic, MT in CAT. MemSource is a CAT for agency.

You can see " Proposed MT post analysis discounts" in an article on MemSource:

http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2012/12/11/post-analysis/

Milan

[Upraveno: 2013-02-14 21:22 GMT]

Maria Teresa Pozzi
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Milan Feb 15, 2013

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality of machine translation from German into Italian

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »