Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is there any way to circumvent having Google Translate results made publicly available?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 09:35
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Actually, I don't think the GTT was issue May 22, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is a very dangerous reasoning. The GTT does not work the way you seem to think it works. The file that you upload to GTT is saved on the GTT workspace, and your translations are saved there as well, whenever you translate or correct a segment. If you reboot your computer and go back to GTT, your translations are still there (it would be terrible for most people if that were not so).

So, GTT does save your source text and it does save your translations. The question is whether Google also makes your source text and your translations public, and as far as I know that depends on whether you have selected the option to use the public TM or not. If I'm wrong, please tell me.

Firstly, I was asking *whether* the files were being uploaded to the GTT - obviously those files would be saved. I was asking the question because I didn't think that the information used in simple web-based GT searches was being saved *and* being made publicly available. There was no postulation made about how GTT works at all and I think you misunderstood my post in relation to the askers question.

Google does in fact store the information sent to the server for MT, even when you use simple web-based MT. The Asker doesn't appear to be using the GTT directly, but his *source text* is still saved on the servers. However, unless the information is able to be retrieved from the servers, it is unlikely that it is publicly available. Having said that, it is highly likely that it is being used as a basis for future MTs.

[Edited at 2013-05-22 09:35 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:35
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Confidentialty is a part of professional services May 22, 2013

Read Jörg Porsiel's article in Multilingual and let it sink in.

The source text has most probably been saved along with the time stamp, the IP address and the company URL of the sender on the provider’s server. In the same way, the internet translation is saved along with the time stamp and IP address of the receiver. In addition, it is conceivable that at least one more file is saved — a file containing terms not previously known to the MT system. All of this data can be linked together easily and freely.

Well, depending on the motives and the criminal intent of the provider, it is likewise conceivable that data gathered is evaluated by special software, collected and put together according to particular search words, IP-ranges or URLs. Depending on the content of the source text, subject matters can be analyzed in conjunction with the IP address of the sender/receiver, and with relatively little effort from an IT perspective, an entire personal profile could even be created, particularly if the source text contains personal information or obtainable data such as names, addresses, e-mail addresses, company ID numbers, bank details, contract details, deadlines, payment details and currencies used for payment.

The end client is most probably aware of this, even if you are not. They ask that their data be kept safe, something that should be self-evident. They are asking for a professional service. And possibly even pay for one.

They may never find out that their request was not respected. But at tthe very least the middleman easily can. A simple search for your name (plus perhaps "Google Translate") is enough: this string on a public forum will show up even in several years' time.

Attila

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unlikely May 22, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
if a human translator uses GT to translate something, Google stores it in its vast memory and next time a similar sentence crops up, it brings that up in preference to the MT.

A couple of years ago, I experimented with GT as follows.

I found a short web article on something, made it translated from English to Russian by GT using the web interface at translate.google.com and manually corrected each sentence. Then I saved the result to a local file and kept on returning to that article in intervals of several days and pasting my translation only to discover after about a dozen of such commits that GT would still return its translations, not mine.

My conclusion is that GT does not consider human translations made using the web interface.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way to circumvent having Google Translate results made publicly available?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »