Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Any freeware desktop translators for paid Google service?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 30, 2013

Hello everyone

I often use Google Translate, and I have always used their free service, which is cumbersome. I now would like to use their paid service. However, I want to be able to copy an entire text to the clipboard, paste it in a translator program, click a button, and get the whole text's translation in a single window, ready to be copied elsewhere. Do you know of free programs that can do that?

I've googled a bit and found some desktop translators that don't u
... See more
Hello everyone

I often use Google Translate, and I have always used their free service, which is cumbersome. I now would like to use their paid service. However, I want to be able to copy an entire text to the clipboard, paste it in a translator program, click a button, and get the whole text's translation in a single window, ready to be copied elsewhere. Do you know of free programs that can do that?

I've googled a bit and found some desktop translators that don't use the paid service (I have no idea how they actually work, but... they work).

Free Language Translator
http://languagetranslator.codeplex.com/
Freeware, NBSD licence
It works!

Free Google Desktop Translator
http://www.athtek.com/google-translate-desktop.html
Adware (?)
It works, but tries to run Flash as administrator every few seconds.

ShaPlus Google Translator
http://www.shaplus.com/google-translator/
Freeware
Doesn't seem to work, does not support all languages, tries to run Flash as administrator.

Thanks!
Samuel
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:59
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Off-line GTT? Oct 30, 2013

If you have an Android device, you can install the offline version of Google Translate Toolkit.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Anaphraseus? Oct 30, 2013

BTW, why not use Anaphraseus? It’s not exactly like paste-and-get-it-translated, you’ll need to run through the text and then clean up, but it can use Google Translate.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Run it through the CAT tool is not an option for me Oct 30, 2013

esperantisto wrote:
Why not use [insert CAT tool]? It’s not exactly like paste-and-get-it-translated, you’ll need to run through the text and then clean up, but it can use Google Translate.

Sure, that is an option, but I would like something simpler and quicker than having to create a separate project in a CAT tool just to get a machine translation for a single block of text.

Steve Erpelding
Steve Erpelding  Identity Verified
Spain
French to German
+ ...
Apertium Oct 30, 2013

Hi Samuel,

maybe you would like to check out apertium:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apertium/

cheers,

Steve

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apertium Oct 30, 2013

Hi Steve,

Apertium is limited to languages that neither Samuel nor I translate.

Michael

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Legal? Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the links Samuel. Interesting that they work, as this most likely involves something not entirely legal. I use the paid GT plugin inside CafeTran myself, but have often wondered if it would be possible to make an AutoHotkey script to pipe clipboard text through the online GT interface. I wonder if Google will notice that it is being accessed too often in one day and block your IP address or something when using one of these free solutions.

Michael

[Edited at 2013-1
... See more
Thanks for the links Samuel. Interesting that they work, as this most likely involves something not entirely legal. I use the paid GT plugin inside CafeTran myself, but have often wondered if it would be possible to make an AutoHotkey script to pipe clipboard text through the online GT interface. I wonder if Google will notice that it is being accessed too often in one day and block your IP address or something when using one of these free solutions.

Michael

[Edited at 2013-10-30 11:53 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nothing illegal Oct 30, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

Interesting that they work, as this most likely involves something not entirely legal.

They use HTTP requests instead of API, which is not illegal. Google may theoretically block your IP address but you must be really bombing the site with requests at a speed beyond capability of normal human beings.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just for the records Oct 30, 2013

Yandex.Translate is so far free of charge, although you need to get a key to access it through the API, and it is (so far?) free of charge even for commercial purposes. However, the number of languages is rather limited.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apertium Oct 30, 2013

Steve Erpelding wrote:
Maybe you would like to check out Apertium:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/apertium/

As far as I know the desktop version of Apertium does not support the paid Google service.

Also, for some reason, my anti-virus blocks the Apertium download (likely a false positive, since the Apertium developer can be trusted).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat emptor Oct 30, 2013

For what it's worth, I use the GT4T paid service and I still wouldn't trust it with more than the most basic text chunks, usually not even for whole sentences. I shudder to think what kind of dog's breakfast it'd throw up if you ran a whole page or a longer document through one of these things ...

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTTP requests Oct 30, 2013

esperantisto wrote:
Michael Beijer wrote:
Interesting that they work, as this most likely involves something not entirely legal.

They use HTTP requests instead of API, which is not illegal.

I was under the impression that using HTTP requests in a way that does not involve a web browser is not allowed by Google, but it's been some time since I delved into the details of it.

Right now my options are:
1. Mihailescu's Free Translator
2. Google Translate's public web site
3. Google Translate Toolkit (for which you have to log in)

Option #2 is not really an option for me anymore because Google munges the output to make it less useful (e.g. changes random uppercase words to lowercase, adds spaces next to punctuation, etc). You can actually see Google munging it -- for a split second, the translation looks fine, and then it changes to something less useful, and Ctrl+Z doesn't work.

I would not mind having to visit a web page to use Google Translate, but I do want the output to be unmunged.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Debatable Oct 30, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

I was under the impression that using HTTP requests in a way that does not involve a web browser is not allowed by Google

It’s debatable since the Google rules are quite vague. And from the practical point of view, an HTTP request is just an HTTP request. How can they tell?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I spoke too soon... Oct 30, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Right now my options are:
1. Mihailescu's Free Translator

Alas, it doesn't always work. It does not always retain line breaks and it sometimes omits segments as well:

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure Oct 30, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

I have often wondered if it would be possible to make an AutoHotkey script to pipe clipboard text through the online GT interface. I wonder if Google will notice that it is being accessed too often in one day and block your IP address or something when using one of these free solutions.

Michael

Sure, if you can rig up AHK to launch your browser and point it to a specific URL. For me, the sequence would be: launch (or switch to) Chrome, press ctrl-t for new tab, insert URL, press enter.
The URL is:
http://translate.google.com/#auto|en|[text]
where [text] is the text to be translated (i.e. Ctrl-V if you're using an AHK script).
This autodetects the language and translates it to English. Replace en with nl for Dutch.
There's probably a length limit on the URL and it may not support certain characters but it works well for me.
I'm sure Google blocks your IP if you go crazy with it, but you'd probably have to go very crazy for that to happen.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any freeware desktop translators for paid Google service?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »