Ana_PM (X)
Ana_PM (X)
Brazil
Local time: 02:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 8, 2014

Hello,

I work for a translation company in Brazil and we wanted to start building a Translation Memory in order to start doing Machine Translation (MT).
I really don't know anything about it, so any help, any clue would be appreciated.

How can I start evaluating the softwares?
How can I know which software allows us to start a TM from scratch?
How can I know which CAT tool is compatible to the MT?
Is there anything else that I should know?
... See more
Hello,

I work for a translation company in Brazil and we wanted to start building a Translation Memory in order to start doing Machine Translation (MT).
I really don't know anything about it, so any help, any clue would be appreciated.

Well, any information will be very appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Omar Lobao
Omar Lobao  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:40
Italian to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorry to answer like this... Jan 8, 2014

Hello Ana,

But as i see in yor profile you worked as a PM and you say that you use all of this software: "Catalyst, IBM CAT tool, Idiom, Lingotek Collaborative Translation Platform, LocStudio, MemoQ, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office Pro, Microsoft Word, Passolo, Powerpoint, SDL TRADOS, SDLX, Wordfast, XTM".

So how can it be possible to have all of this questions???

-In proz foruns (there's one just for MT) an
... See more
Hello Ana,

But as i see in yor profile you worked as a PM and you say that you use all of this software: "Catalyst, IBM CAT tool, Idiom, Lingotek Collaborative Translation Platform, LocStudio, MemoQ, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office Pro, Microsoft Word, Passolo, Powerpoint, SDL TRADOS, SDLX, Wordfast, XTM".

So how can it be possible to have all of this questions???

-In proz foruns (there's one just for MT) and using google is very easy to find a lots of information about this.

-All the cat tools you say you use.

-Almost for sure all the cat tools you refer on your profile (at least with tmx format is very easy)

-For sure. Excuse me again... but read my first sentence again.

Regards,
Omar
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Jan 8, 2014

And your "About me" has more errors than one would expect for someone with "Fluent English".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Link up with someone who is already working on it Jan 8, 2014

Sorry to be pessimistic, but so much machine translation is simply a joke, even after the time, research and resources that have gone into it for decades.

I'm not saying it is never going to work, in controlled environments and with certain specific types of texts, dedicated TMs and so on. But it is not something a single company is going to be able to do alone.

Try googling TAUS + machine translation, and find others who are also working on it.

A lot of t
... See more
Sorry to be pessimistic, but so much machine translation is simply a joke, even after the time, research and resources that have gone into it for decades.

I'm not saying it is never going to work, in controlled environments and with certain specific types of texts, dedicated TMs and so on. But it is not something a single company is going to be able to do alone.

Try googling TAUS + machine translation, and find others who are also working on it.

A lot of the time a human with a CAT is far more reliable, at least in the languages I work with. Besides, many people hate post-editing, simply because it takes just as long as translating, and it is better to get it right first time than try to sort out the mess when the machine is not good enough.

Good luck...!
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Ana, where are you? Jan 9, 2014

DLyons wrote:

And your "About me" has more errors than one would expect for someone with "Fluent English".

When I click on your name, Ana, I'm told that that ProZ ID doesn't exist... ?

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:40
English to Swedish
+ ...
Good luck! Jan 9, 2014

Dear xxxAna_PM,

First, browse around and try to find a web site where the language looks weird (not too difficult to find). If the vocabulary is wrong and the grammar is completely substandard it is most likely done by machine translation software and will put many good smiles on your face. You can also take a few sentences from your company’s source text and paste them into Google Translate. Also there the result is in 99,9% of the cases sub standard.

Many of the gia
... See more
Dear xxxAna_PM,

First, browse around and try to find a web site where the language looks weird (not too difficult to find). If the vocabulary is wrong and the grammar is completely substandard it is most likely done by machine translation software and will put many good smiles on your face. You can also take a few sentences from your company’s source text and paste them into Google Translate. Also there the result is in 99,9% of the cases sub standard.

Many of the giant software manufacturers have tried to produce a working MT program but none has so far succeeded. Microsoft dropped their project many years ago with the remark that I just couldn’t be done.

The bottom line is that the machine cannot replace the human when it comes to translation.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
xxx Jan 9, 2014

Lars Jelking wrote:

Dear xxxAna_PM,

The "xxx" means that this PM has already left her sinking ship (deleted her profile) ...

[Bearbeitet am 2014-01-09 10:19 GMT]

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MS has in fact been very successful with their MT roll-out Jan 9, 2014

Lars Jelking wrote:
Many of the giant software manufacturers have tried to produce a working MT program but none has so far succeeded. Microsoft dropped their project many years ago with the remark that I just couldn’t be done.

Sorry, but this statement is not true at all. I have known many people working on the Microsoft Translation technologies teams since the late 90s. Microsoft regularly makes claims about the success of their own MT system rolled out on their own customer support FAQ database. The MS MT Research team invited me in 2010 to give a talk on MT at their US HQ. There are people on that team who regularly make presentations at conferences about their success stories, so I'm not sure where you get your information. I could paste in many links to such conference presentations.

Jeff

[Edited at 2014-01-09 21:10 GMT]

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Thanks for posting Jeff! Jan 9, 2014

Jeff Allen wrote:

Lars Jelking wrote:

Sorry, but this statement is not true at all. I have known many people working on the Microsoft Translation technologies teams since the late 90s. Microsoft regularly makes claims about the success of their own MT system rolled out on their own customer support FAQ database. The ?S MT Research team invited me in 2010 to give a talk on MT at their US HQ. There are people on that team who regularly make presentations at conferences about their success stories, so I'm not sure where you get your information. I could paste in many links to such conference presentations.

Jeff

I know that the topic starter perhaps didn't make that much sense in certain respects, but it's not always easy and in case of a next time it would be great if we can be a bit more welcoming and understanding. Just wanted to voice this concern among the moderators.

I didn't have time to participate myself, but the way I understood the topic starter, she needed a 'crash course' in the basics of MT, as it were. I'm sure many would find that both useful and interesting. She also wants tips about how to get started using MT, and if anybody can provide that the thread is still open!

Just wanted to say as well that I came to think about you immediately when I saw this topic Jeff, and it's great to see that you're following the forum. I've seen the talk you made for MS and it is excellent. Please post the link again, and anything you have that would follow up on your reply to Lars, and not least the developments in recent years.

And can you say one or two words about MS Translator Hub? I am working with it right now and I'm absolutely blown away. Then again, it's the fruit of the work that my client put into building it, if I understand correctly.

The topic starter might still be reading, so if you have the time Jeff, to explain, or give us some links that might explain, just the very basics of how MT works and maybe a word about its history, I for one would be very grateful for that too!

Many thanks and best regards/
Mark

[Edited at 2014-01-09 19:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Machine Translation (MT) softwares

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »