Thread poster: Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani
Claire Fumoleau-Itani  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:41
English to French
+ ...
Apr 14, 2014

Dear All,

A few weeks ago, I posted a topic asking your opinion about using MT further to a client's request. Thanks again for all your answers. I followed the advice of refusing to switch to MT and I offered him a discount. He was happy, I kept my client - so all good

HOWEVER I am contacting you today again about TM/MT but because I now have a fourth client in the same field and I feel that despite using
... See more
Dear All,

A few weeks ago, I posted a topic asking your opinion about using MT further to a client's request. Thanks again for all your answers. I followed the advice of refusing to switch to MT and I offered him a discount. He was happy, I kept my client - so all good

HOWEVER I am contacting you today again about TM/MT but because I now have a fourth client in the same field and I feel that despite using SDL Trados 2011, I am still typing too much text myself and spending too much time translating myself.
This insight into MT got me thinking and I now want to make better use of the technology available and I am considering combining TM & MT just for this client. Without telling my client though, of course... Just to speed up my work and increase my productivity.

I have read it is possible to use a current TM in a MT software - Is any of you doing this?
Has any of you imported his/her Trados TM into a MT software?
SDL is (obviously) recommending to use BeGlobal within Studio (so, the other way around).
I have read on this forum Trados TM can also be combined with ProMT.

And, last but not least, as if my life was not busy enough, I am switching from PC to Mac. Any Mac-compatible TM/MT software recommendation would be welcome.
(although I am planning to run Parallel on Mac so if it's not, no worrries.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Have a lovely day,
Claire
Collapse

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:41
English to Russian
Studio with/without MT Apr 14, 2014

Hello Claire.

Please clarify some issues:

1. What is (will) be your language direction(s) and basic topic(s)?
2. Do you have your own user dictionaries, and how large are they?
3. Who will (can) "prepare" and control a raw MT output - you and/or your client?

Note: I am an author of a neighbour thread here (SDL Trados + PROMT) where I described my (our) experience. Shortly speaking, a customized MT is an excellent tool, but you are and will alwa
... See more
Hello Claire.

Please clarify some issues:

1. What is (will) be your language direction(s) and basic topic(s)?
2. Do you have your own user dictionaries, and how large are they?
3. Who will (can) "prepare" and control a raw MT output - you and/or your client?

Note: I am an author of a neighbour thread here (SDL Trados + PROMT) where I described my (our) experience. Shortly speaking, a customized MT is an excellent tool, but you are and will always depend on how good the MT will be customized.

If you will have any questions, you are welcome.
Collapse

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answer to Oleg's reply re: 'Running SDL STudio 2011 TM in/with MT software Apr 14, 2014

Dear Oleg,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have seen your thread, I have downloaded the piece about SDL Trados 2011 and I was going to read it tonight

I will be working from French into English.
The field is Real Estate - some highly repetitive short description adverts (approx. 10,000 words/month)
I don't have user dictionaries (you mean some you can download? please explain) bu
... See more
Dear Oleg,

Yes, I have seen your thread, I have downloaded the piece about SDL Trados 2011 and I was going to read it tonight

I will be working from French into English.
The field is Real Estate - some highly repetitive short description adverts (approx. 10,000 words/month)
I don't have user dictionaries (you mean some you can download? please explain) but I have a TM which I have been populating for a couple of years now.
I will be preparing the raw MT output - I will be carrying out the entire process.

Bearing in mind that I am computer-literate but just about (didn't manage to fine-tune SDL Trados 2011 Freelance as I wished), is this a straight-forward process?

Many thanks again for any input/advice!

Kind regards,
Claire
Collapse

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Furter comments Apr 14, 2014

Bonjour, Claire.

Do you maintain any separate glossary (except for your TM) for your terminology?
If you will use your MT, you will need to customize it yourself. The best way for any Rule based MT is to code all relevant terms in your MT dictionary. Then, you will always have all the necessary terminology at MT output (and will not need to retype it every time).
Your
... See more
Bonjour, Claire.

Do you maintain any separate glossary (except for your TM) for your terminology?
If you will use your MT, you will need to customize it yourself. The best way for any Rule based MT is to code all relevant terms in your MT dictionary. Then, you will always have all the necessary terminology at MT output (and will not need to retype it every time).
Your MT dictionary shall contain the same terminology that you use in your TM. This will be a basis for a translation consistency.

In my document (argonaut.spb.ru/files/MT_as_translator_tool.pdf) I describe a procedure for a terminology development and PROMT customization. I hope it will give you a short view of our approach.

[Edited at 2014-04-14 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Free MT trial Apr 16, 2014

Hello, Claire.

Recently I sent you an email message with some recommendations. Did you receive it?

(Among other things, dowloading a free trial PROMT MT version).

Claire Fumoleau-Itani
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 17, 2014

Dear Oleg,

Many thanks for your emails and instructions, yes I have seen them but I resumed working on an ongoing project which keeps me very busy so I didn't have a chance to look into the whole thing
Will do so this week-end and get back to you if I have any queries.
Yes, in any case, I would like to download and try the free PROM MT version.

Thanks again for your help,
Kind regards,

Claire

Oleg Vigodsky
Oleg Vigodsky
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Links to trial PROMT and dictionaries Apr 17, 2014

Dear Claire,

Yes, in any case, I would like to download and try the free PROM MT version.

Below are links to a free trial PROMT MT version and a collection of dictionaries:

http://download.promt.com/p95/en/try-only/lsp/PROMT9_LSP_Local_EngFraGer_ERE_EFE_EGE_EIE_EPE_ESE_Trial.exe

(all English-centric directions, including FR ENG)

http://download.promt.com/p9/en/try-only/dictionary/P9_DictCollection_English_trial_eng.exe

(full English-centric collection of dictionaries)

If you will have any further questions, please contact me. By the way, PROMT Technical Support is also ready to reply your questions during your trial period).

Bonne chances!

[Edited at 2014-04-17 13:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running SDL Studio 2011 TM IN/WITH MT software

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »