United Kingdom
Local time: 22:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You're welcome! Feb 20, 2016

Richard Hill wrote:

Thanks for that link Michael.

On reflection I think I was expecting too much, too soon; that it would be great right out the box.
Bit of patience is called for I think. I don't use machine translation, but love working with CAT tools, so better just wait for the glitches to be ironed out and the new developments on the cards, especially over the first year or so.

Slate's creators have been quick and helpful in their responses, which is encouraging.

Looking forward to the coming developments.

Saludos!

Richard

Just created my first engine, based on a legal TMX with around 450,000 TUs (which is actually a total mess, but it was the best I could do at the moment). Am testing how well it performs now! Will report back.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sweet Jesus Feb 20, 2016

Only tested one document so far, some general terms and conditions, but the results are very, very good. Actually hard to believe, so good. I suspect that with proper preparation (careful TMX selection, cleaning, targeted glossaries, target language corpus, etc.), Slate Desktop is going to prove exceedingly useful, if not fun.

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:28
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Good! Feb 20, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Only tested one document so far, some general terms and conditions, but the results are very, very good. Actually hard to believe, so good. I suspect that with proper preparation (careful TMX selection, cleaning, targeted glossaries, target language corpus, etc.), Slate Desktop is going to prove exceedingly useful, if not fun.

My first attempt wasn't that encouraging. I made an engine from a general TM (150k segments, mostly legal) and I reckon the required editing is at least the same as when I tried Google Translate a few years ago.

I'd be interested to know in what way you TM is "a total mess".

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:28
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Fine-tuning Feb 21, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
I suspect that with proper preparation (careful TMX selection, cleaning, targeted glossaries, target language corpus, etc.), Slate Desktop is going to prove exceedingly useful, if not fun.

The fine-tuning I'm always talking about (though they usually fall on deaf ears).

You are in the position to repeat the experiment in CafeTran, with the same document, the same resources, and the same settings. I really want to know how much better SD is (and I do think it will/should be better; on the other hand, no "training" required for CT, results are instantaneous).

Cheers,

Hans (van den Broek)

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 18:28
English
Prioritizing our work Feb 21, 2016

Michael & Richard,

I'm enjoying and learning as you share your experiences. It's exciting to see how Slate Desktop went from monster to messiah in only 4 days after release. I have no doubt the pendulum will swing back soon enough. I'm happy to share my experience and coach you all if you ask. Otherwise, I won't butt-in... until we publish the manual, of course

Based on early experiences and feedback, I j
... See more
Michael & Richard,

I'm enjoying and learning as you share your experiences. It's exciting to see how Slate Desktop went from monster to messiah in only 4 days after release. I have no doubt the pendulum will swing back soon enough. I'm happy to share my experience and coach you all if you ask. Otherwise, I won't butt-in... until we publish the manual, of course

Based on early experiences and feedback, I just publish an announcement on our support site, Summary of Priorities (https://pttools.freshdesk.com/discussions/topics/6000033733/ ). Like always, we can adjust based on your voices.

MonsterMessiah

[Edited at 2016-02-21 09:30 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Having looked at the results in more detail ... Feb 21, 2016

... they actually weren't that great. I mean, some of it was very good, but other parts not so hot. I am currently running tests against Google Translate output.

@Hans: regarding comparisons with CafeTran: these are hard to make, because I never got very good results from CafeTran's auto-assembly, probably partially due to the fact that I never spent enough time trying to tweak my glossaries/TMs.

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Thanks! Feb 26, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

@ http://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/slate-desktop-review/ (well worth a read by anyone who bought the program!)

Thank you Michael for sharing it. There's much room for debate on the internet, but I invite you to share your reviews below the post, to make a single thread for everybody who's interested.

Richard Hill wrote:

On reflection I think I was expecting too much, too soon; that it would be great right out the box.
Bit of patience is called for I think. I don't use machine translation, but love working with CAT tools, so better just wait for the glitches to be ironed out and the new developments on the cards, especially over the first year or so.

I found your question on the PTTools page, Richard. Perhaps the review above can help you.
I was thinking about writing a concise guide on how to use Slate Desktop to build an engine and using the Trados connector, but I'm quite busy.
As for the connector: It works, but I also encountered some problems. My first engine contained 150k TUs and it really took much time for the connector to calculate the best match. Now I have smaller engine (not sure about the actual TU count but I think it's 75%). That improves the speed and makes the connector more useful.
A drawback of a smaller engine I experience here is the lower quality of the results. It's nevertheless useful. I expect for specialized translation engines and new jobs in the field that not much post-editing is needed - like you have a TM with mostly 85%+ fuzzy matches.

Patricia Ferreira Larrieux
Patricia Ferreira Larrieux  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Slate Desktop at TLC 2016 in Warsaw Mar 20, 2016

Wojciech Froelich speaking about Slate Desktop at "The annual review of industry trends" at the Translation and Localization Conference in Warsaw - March 11, 2016

IMG_0407IMG_0407 by Patricia M. Ferreira Larrieux, su Flickr
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Screenshots of Slate in OmegaT Mar 20, 2016

tahoar wrote:

Here are five screen shots. As mentioned in the webinar, we borrowed this GUI from our Linux DoMT product to run on MS Windows for the demo. It exposes an intermediate level of tools.

I published on Mar 12 in Czech forum a post with 163 views

Apertium a Slate v OmegaT

http://www.proz.com/forum/czech/299432-apertium_a_slate_v_omegat.html

Apertium and Slate are local MT for OmegaT.

http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/290872-slate_desktop_your_personal_mt_engine-page4.html#2475842

Screenshots on page4 are not visible. I made the screenshorts from webinar, too.

Direct links:

Screenshorts of PPT

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-03/12/cs/05.html

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-03/12/cs/06.html

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-03/12/cs/07.html

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-03/12/cs/08.html

Five screenshorts of OmegaT

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-03/12/cs/09.html

Milan Condak

[Edited at 2016-03-20 12:40 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Two recent reviews May 31, 2016

Couple of people have taken the time to post their thoughts on Slate in real life situations.

https://www.facebook.com/IAPTI/posts/1144298255630197:0 (Loek van Kooten)... See more
Couple of people have taken the time to post their thoughts on Slate in real life situations.

https://www.facebook.com/IAPTI/posts/1144298255630197:0 (Loek van Kooten)

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/05/31/slate_languagecloud/ (Emma Goldsmith)
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Mac version of Slate Desktop? Jul 6, 2016

Is there any news about a Mac version of Slate Desktop?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Haven't heard anything yet myself. Jul 6, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Is there any news about a Mac version of Slate Desktop?

If you want to test it, you could send me one of your (preferably big) TMs, and I could create an engine on my Win7 box, and then test translate a few example texts for you in the Slate Desktop app itself (or in memoQ via the plugin).

Michael

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Early bird offer Jul 6, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Thanks, Michael, but I'm only interested in a Mac solution (that I can integrate in my CafeTran workflow).

I'll send Tom Hoar a PM.

Just got word from Tom:

I think we're looking at late August or early September for first testing.

[Edited at 2016-07-06 15:33 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Support for Mac Nov 23, 2016

About a year ago, I paid a contribution to the Indiego campaign.

Is there any chance that the promised support for Mac will come before the end of this year?

If not, I'd consider to request a refund.

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 18:28
English
Cancellation of Slate Desktop v1.x for Mac OS X Dec 8, 2016

Hi Hans,

First, thank you very much for your support during our Indiego campaign. You and 50 others gave us the boost we needed to get everything off the ground. I posted a reply on the CafeTran support site and I quote that posting here so everyone has insight into what's been happening inside PTTools for the last six months.

Hi guys,

I expected development would mainly entail integrating the binaries into our framework because the primary Moses researcher does all his work on OS X, and the binaries we need are readily available for fee download.

I'm shocked at the latest information from Jeroen. He has spent all this time creating his own whiz-bang OS X build environment. It sounded good at first, but after 6+ months without delivery, we're still left without reliable binaries and only minimal testing within our environment. You're left waiting in the dark.

More frustrating still, Jeroen refuses to estimate when he will complete the project and has not communicated with our customer community as he promised. I'm sorry that I trusted him and let this to go so long.

I'm sad to announce that I have cancelled the OS X project for Slate Desktop v1.0. Jeroen is no longer working on Slate Desktop. We are looking for new coders who can pick up with what we have.

If you have further questions (as I expect you might), please contact me directly via [email protected].

Will very little cheer
Tom

I have exchanged private emails with Hans and other OS X supporters. If I have missed anyone, please contact me directly. My accountant and I are processing a complete refund of your Indiegogo contribution. I apologize for all we've put you through.

For those considering Slate Desktop, I understand if the above announcement shakes your confidence. In the same spirit of openness, I also share that our Windows product is strong and we announced a new rebate sales campaign. We're supporting over 100 customers in our first 9 months. We're updating the Linux installer to account for tricky file permission differences (product functions are up to date).

Moving to a brighter future, the holiday season is here. We just released a major version update to 1.2.3. It's full of great new features that customers have asked for. You can browse our support site (also on Freshdesk like CafeTran) support.pttools.net for the latest information.

Regards,
Tom

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slate Desktop: your personal MT engine

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »