DeepL
Thread poster: Michael Mangelsdorf
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 06:09
Slovak to English
I wonder what the machines will be needed for Sep 21, 2017

5. All the humans have been replaced by machines. Translation is rendered pointless, because the machines don't require it. Humans with no income are unable to afford whatever products or services the machines are producing; the products and services are rendered useless. The companies now either go out of business or begin rehiring humans/consumers. And the seasons, they go round and round...
Unless, of course, there's some new world order conspiracy I haven't yet heard about.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
World order conspiracy Sep 21, 2017

There is. I can't name names, but you could say it's a partial anagram of "Sacks of Gold, Man". Apply for a job there, because they'll be ruling that new world order.

[Edited at 2017-09-21 18:17 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Maurice Koopman
Maurice Koopman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Arrogant Oct 1, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

... the human brain will never be reproduced and replaced. It would have happened by now. Don't believe the hype.

It does not need to be replaced as a whole. It has already been replaced partially. Take a simple calculator. It's calculating capabilities are far superior to the human mind. You may then counter that it initially has been developed and built by humans, but building it and what it can do, are two separate things. The capability of building something, does not automatically make the human mind superior to the product capabilities. In physical strength we have long been surpassed by machines. This development is now taking place in IT amongst others. It's is a process.

What annoys me in your comment is the arrogance: "the human brain will never be reproduced and replaced". How most of us spend their lives: family, job, tv is really not that impressive. It does not require a tremendous amount of brain power (IQ, EQ, language). You make it sound like we are all Einsteins. Also this thinking - placing humans on a pedestal - is the cause of many problems in this world because being on a pedestal you are not likely to question if what your doing is right. Otherwise you would not be on it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
COmputer Oct 1, 2017

All posts by Maurice Koopman are artificially generated by a computer. He used to write them himself until he decided that his computer was more intelligent than he was.

[Edited at 2017-10-01 12:06 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Maurice Koopman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bound to happen Oct 1, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

All posts by Maurice Koopman are artificially generated by a computer. He used to write them himself until he decided that his computer was more intelligent than he was.

[Edited at 2017-10-01 12:06 GMT]

Bound to happen.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
maybe... Oct 2, 2017

Maurice Koopman wrote:

It has already been replaced partially.

I think you might want to pay more attention at the word "partially" here...

Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The sort of thing we are up against... Dec 8, 2017

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16741106/deepmind-ai-chess-alphazero-shogi-go

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
And also Dec 9, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Maurice Koopman wrote:

It has already been replaced partially.

I think you might want to pay more attention at the word "partially" here...

and also "It's calculating capabilities...."

Maurice Koopman
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
More bad news Jan 15, 2018

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/15/technology/reading-robot-alibaba-microsoft-stanford/index.html

The robots are coming, and they can read.
Artificial intelligence programs built by Alibaba (BABA) and Microsoft (MSFT) have beaten humans on a Stanford University reading comprehension test.

"This is the first time th
... See more
http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/15/technology/reading-robot-alibaba-microsoft-stanford/index.html

The robots are coming, and they can read.
Artificial intelligence programs built by Alibaba (BABA) and Microsoft (MSFT) have beaten humans on a Stanford University reading comprehension test.

"This is the first time that a machine has outperformed humans on such a test," Alibaba said in a statement Monday.

The test was devised by artificial intelligence experts at Stanford to measure computers' growing reading abilities. Alibaba's software was the first to beat the human score.

Related: Google is opening an artificial intelligence center in China

Luo Si, the chief scientist of natural language processing at the Chinese company's AI research group, called the milestone "a great honor," but also acknowledged that it is likely lead to a significant number of workers losing their jobs to machines.

The technology "can be gradually applied to numerous applications such as customer service, museum tutorials and online responses to medical inquiries from patients, decreasing the need for human input in an unprecedented way," Si said in a statement.

Alibaba has already put the technology to work on Singles Day, the world's biggest shopping bonanza, by using computers to answer a large number of customer service questions.

In a tweet, Pranav Rajpurkar, one of the Stanford researchers who developed the reading test, called Alibaba's feat "a great start to 2018" for artificial intelligence.

Related: These three countries are winning the global robot race

The Stanford test generates questions about a set of Wikipedia articles.

For example, a human or AI program reads a passage about the history of British TV show Doctor Who and then answers questions like, "What is Doctor Who's space ship called?" (Spoiler alert: It's the TARDIS, for non-Doctor Who fans out there.)

Alibaba's deep neural network model scored 82.44 on the test on January 11, narrowly beating the 82.304 scored by the human participants. A day later, Microsoft's AI software also beat the human score, with a result of 82.650.

"These kinds of tests are certainly useful benchmarks for how far along the AI journey we may be," said Andrew Pickup, a spokesman for Microsoft. "However, the real benefit of AI is when it is used in harmony with humans," he added.

Facebook (FB), Tencent (TCEHY) and Samsung (SSNLF) have also previously submitted AI models to the Stanford project.

Related: Jack Ma: We need to stop training our kids for manufacturing jobs

Artificial intelligence is already causing disruption in industries around the world -- replacing warehouse workers with robots, operating self-driving cars and even helping farmers grow better crops.

Russian President Vladimir Putin predicted in September that whoever becomes the leader in artificial intelligence "will become the ruler of the world."

China is making a big push to be a dominant force.

Beijing said it wants the country to be a leader in artificial intelligence by 2020. In July, government officials set out goals to build a domestic artificial intelligence industry worth nearly $150 billion in the next couple years.

[Edited at 2018-01-15 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Mangelsdorf
Michael Mangelsdorf  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey - it's happened Mar 21, 2018

DeepL now offers SDL Trados integration, an API and the term "EU data protection compliance" made it onto the very landing page of this product, specifically including the online translator.

https://www.deepl.com/pro.html

Should auld acquaintance, right?

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Now available in Wordfast Anywhere Mar 28, 2018

Sorry if this is irrelevant but thought I would mention that DeepL is now available in Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com). I also got an email from DeepL the other day telling me that I can now purchase their API

John

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:09
Russian to English
+ ...
@Michael Mar 28, 2018

Thanks for the information, but the chart shows that "EU data protection compliance" is only applicable to the "Pro" version, not the free one, and not for the SDL Trados API.

[Edited at 2018-03-28 11:48 GMT]

William TAHIL
William TAHIL  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
French to English
The writing is now well and truly on the wall in flashing neon lights Jun 29, 2018

I think those who focus on DeepL's deficiencies are thinking too wishfully. What do we think the customers/ end users are going to do now? They will put it in DeepL and employ someone inhouse to revise them, the degree of revision depending on how important the document is. Corporates will be comparing what they get from translators and agencies to what they get for almost nothing from DeepL and replanning their strategy and budgets - right now. From French to English I find it frighteningly goo... See more
I think those who focus on DeepL's deficiencies are thinking too wishfully. What do we think the customers/ end users are going to do now? They will put it in DeepL and employ someone inhouse to revise them, the degree of revision depending on how important the document is. Corporates will be comparing what they get from translators and agencies to what they get for almost nothing from DeepL and replanning their strategy and budgets - right now. From French to English I find it frighteningly good. Translation will boil down to "good enough for the intended purpose". The market is going to shrink massively, prices will go right down, too many translators chasing less business much of which will just be revising DeepL xlations (and its successors). Yes Tom in London's high end documents are less easy to do but the overall market will get smaller or commodified. Yes, that's a good way of looking at it, commodified.

If the clients can see the translation it produces is good enough - they want to save money, that's all. Like all the other highly skilled manual trades and crafts that have been automated and commodified over the last 200 years - translators and interpreters will go the same way. Terrifying.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Tomasz Sienicki
Maurice Koopman
Denis Danchenko
Tansy Tazewell

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
7 / 10 Jun 30, 2018

Bonaparte wrote:
Translation will boil down to "good enough for the intended purpose".

This is already the standard for a consistent number of clients (but not all), and this is why so many 4s and 5s keep getting translation jobs. DeepL is currently a 7 at best, it still DeepLy sucks in certain aspects, and I don't think it will improve much, as the growth of AI is due in large part to the increase in computational speed, which is currently stuck. Their "algorithms" are mainly a joke.

Those who need a professional service will still need a human translator in the 9+ range. On the other hand, those who are OK with "good enough" will probably use MT in lieu of the mediocre providers they have used so far.

Some of us have good reason to be terrified. Others, not really.

Tom in London
Michele Fauble
Yaotl Altan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sucking Jun 30, 2018

Daniel Frisano wrote:

.... it still DeepLy sucks in certain aspects, and I don't think it will improve much---

Deepl is one of many things in the translator's toolbox. It's useful in some ways, but is not to be relied on if you want a good, correct, reliable, well structured translation. Many other tools are also required. In my experience the activity of translating requires a whole range of tools to be immediately accessible at any moment. No single one of those tools will suffice by itself.

(sigh...) when are ingenuous people going to abandon the new religion of technology?

[Edited at 2018-06-30 11:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DeepL

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »