Thread poster: F Bossard

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:12
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates per hour for MTPE Aug 23, 2019

I recently experienced something quite the contrary. A few pieces of human translations I edited took much more time than I'd have spent on editing machine translations.

it is sad to see, but devilishly real!
and I can add that the quality of source sentences I normally see is steadily decreasing

[Edited at 2019-08-23 21:43 GMT]

mughwI

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:12
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
What we charge for Aug 24, 2019

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

I recently experienced something quite the contrary. A few pieces of human translations I edited took much more time than I'd have spent on editing machine translations.

it is sad to see, but devilishly real!
and I can add that the quality of source sentences I normally see is steadily decreasing

[Edited at 2019-08-23 21:43 GMT]

It almost seems as if some people need to constantly tout how great MT is. When they do that, they don't seem to realize that they don't do the profession any favors. Why?
I would invite everyone to read through previous forum posts. And ... whatever a machine translates MUST be checked by a human. And the knowledge the human translator brings to the table is what he is selling. And that's what we charge for.

If a human translator performed awfully then that is no proof of how good MT is. Think about it.
Let's just be a little more careful with what we say about MT. Much obliged.

[Edited at 2019-08-24 21:57 GMT]

Daryo
Thayenga
Marilena Berca
Milton Guo
Jan Truper
Claudio Porcellana

Beatrice Schlegel, B.A.(hons.), M.A, MCIL
Local time: 02:12
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Taus post-editors directory Oct 1

[quote]Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

- TAUS post-editors directory only lists per hour rate - https://taus.net/post-editors TAUS also offers a post-editing course. Of course, with a per-hour rate, you cannot justify training your skills from the ground up at the expense of the client. See point below.

Dear Jean,

sorry, I know I'm a few years late, which is the reason I suspect that the TAUS post-editors directory is no longer available under this link. Can you remember how much they quoted for the per hour MTPE at all?

thanks so much,best regards
B

silviantonia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
MT is generally nonsensical, and we are digging our own grave Nov 20

A group to which I belong bought expensive translation software, and have asked me as a group member to "look over" documents that they have created with their expensive piece of garbage. In general these are English to Spanish translations, and in the future they may include English to French.

The MT translations, despite the fact that they paid a fair sum of money for their "engine," are nonsensical. In one sentence, the "machine" uses male and female articles, adjectives, etc.
... See more
A group to which I belong bought expensive translation software, and have asked me as a group member to "look over" documents that they have created with their expensive piece of garbage. In general these are English to Spanish translations, and in the future they may include English to French.

The MT translations, despite the fact that they paid a fair sum of money for their "engine," are nonsensical. In one sentence, the "machine" uses male and female articles, adjectives, etc. without discrimination. Frequently lines are left untranslated, and more so if the term in English, for example, is in caps...

I was sent a translation to review on fencing (the sport, rather than the construction term). I didn't realize in the beginning why so much of the translation made NO SENSE. I finally realized that the program in some places was talking about the size and material used to replace fencing, and in others it was talking about the sport of fencing (esgrima, escrime). When I realized what the program had done, I spent some time laughing out loud... Ultimately, I charged the client for time spent "correcting" the mistakes, in addition to the words used... And I said, and I repeat that here, it would have been cheaper for you had you given me the document to translate in the first place.

The other atrocious thing that is happening with "automatic correction" on computers is that the spelling of words are changed. The computer or automatic correction rarely knows the difference between there, their, they're. And that is just one example.
Collapse

Susanta Chakraborty
India
Local time: 07:42
English to Bengali
+ ...
Neat and clean answer Nov 23

To the point answer. Ty

Thayenga wrote:

Just quote your regular hourly rate. After all, it doesn't matter what you are working on, an hour of your time is an hours of your time, and needs to be paid accordingly.

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:12
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates per hour for MTPE Dec 2

I was referring to the quality of the source files, i.e. nothing to do with translators...

I really meant to say that the quality of manuals, IFUs, etc. is constantly decreasing
I hope you get my point, Bernhard Sulzer

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
It almost seems as if some people need to constantly tout how great MT is. When they do that, they don't seem to realize that they don't do the profession any favors. Why?
I would invite everyone to read through previous forum posts. And ... whatever a machine translates MUST be checked by a human. And the knowledge the human translator brings to the table is what he is selling. And that's what we charge for.

If a human translator performed awfully then that is no proof of how good MT is. Think about it.
Let's just be a little more careful with what we say about MT. Much obliged.

[Edited at 2019-08-24 21:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-02 22:53 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per hour for MTPE

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Termsøk
  • Jobber
  • Forumer
  • Multiple search