Deep-L may be good, but sometimes... Wow.
Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 02:09
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2018

A rough translation of a sentence from Polish into English:

Gdybyśmy zebrali w jednym miejscu grono admiratorów Dom Pérignon choćby tylko z ostatnich kilkudziesięciu lat, moglibyśmy stuknąć się kieliszkami z Andym Warholem, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christianem Diorem, Grace Kelly i księciem Monako Rainerem III, księżną Dianą i księciem Karolem (na ich wesele wybrano rocznik 1961), z Bono i Lennym Kravitzem, Karlem Lagerfeldem, a także z Jamesem Bondem.<
... See more
A rough translation of a sentence from Polish into English:

Gdybyśmy zebrali w jednym miejscu grono admiratorów Dom Pérignon choćby tylko z ostatnich kilkudziesięciu lat, moglibyśmy stuknąć się kieliszkami z Andym Warholem, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christianem Diorem, Grace Kelly i księciem Monako Rainerem III, księżną Dianą i księciem Karolem (na ich wesele wybrano rocznik 1961), z Bono i Lennym Kravitzem, Karlem Lagerfeldem, a także z Jamesem Bondem.

If it were possible to gather a group of Dom Pérignon lovers in one place, even if only from the last few decades, we would have an opportunity to raise a glass with Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer III, Prince Diana and Prince Charles (their wedding was celebrated with vintage 1961), as well as Bono, Lenny Kravitz, Karl Lagerfeld and James Bond.

Now the version by Deep-L:

If it was possible to gather a group of Pérignon House lovers in one place, even if only from the last few decades, we could raise glass with Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer III, Prince Diana and Prince Charles (their wedding was chosen for the following reasons: "We're going to have a good time", "we're going to have a good time with you"), "we're going to have a good time" family", "we're going to have a good time" family", and "we're going to have a good time" family" with the people who's family are going to live in the city... Prince Charles was elected to be their Prince of Rome.

I must say I haven't read a funnier translation for a long time

[Edited at 2018-04-04 19:37 GMT]
Collapse

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
strange Apr 6, 2018

I don't get the same translation from deepL
Here's the version I have (with the same source text in Polish obviously)
If we were to gather a group of Pérignon House administrators in one place, even if only from the last few decades, we could tap on the glasses with Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly and Prince Monaco Rainer III, Princess Diana and Prince Charles (their wedding was chosen in 1961), with Bono and Lenny Kravitz, Karl Lagerfeld, as
... See more
I don't get the same translation from deepL
Here's the version I have (with the same source text in Polish obviously)
If we were to gather a group of Pérignon House administrators in one place, even if only from the last few decades, we could tap on the glasses with Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly and Prince Monaco Rainer III, Princess Diana and Prince Charles (their wedding was chosen in 1961), with Bono and Lenny Kravitz, Karl Lagerfeld, as well as with James Bond.
There are very strange things happening with DeepL! (admiror becomes administrator for some reason).

[Modifié le 2018-04-06 18:50 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-04-06 18:50 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
LOL Apr 6, 2018

Here's the translation into Italian:

"Se avessimo riunito un gruppo di amministratori di Casa Pérignon in un unico luogo, anche se solo dagli ultimi decenni, avremmo potuto bussare agli occhiali con Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly e il Principe Rainer III, il Principe Diana e il Principe Carlo (il loro matrimonio è stato scelto per i seguenti motivi: "Ci divertiremo molto")."

"Ci divertiremo molto" means "We're going to
... See more
Here's the translation into Italian:

"Se avessimo riunito un gruppo di amministratori di Casa Pérignon in un unico luogo, anche se solo dagli ultimi decenni, avremmo potuto bussare agli occhiali con Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly e il Principe Rainer III, il Principe Diana e il Principe Carlo (il loro matrimonio è stato scelto per i seguenti motivi: "Ci divertiremo molto")."

"Ci divertiremo molto" means "We're going to have a lot of fun" (in Spanish just a few "Nos vamos a divertir"). But yeah, Wojciech's version is MUCH better!

German comes close tho': "Hätten wir eine Gruppe von Pérignon House-Administratoren an einem Ort versammelt, wenn auch nur aus den letzten Jahrzehnten, hätten wir mit Andy Warhol, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Christian Dior, Grace Kelly und Prinz Rainer III, Prinz Diana und Prinz Charles (ihre Hochzeit wurde aus folgenden Gründen gewählt: "Wir werden eine gute Zeit haben", "wir werden uns amüsieren", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir".....", "wir", "wir", "wir", "wir"......")."

Also, in order to reproduce this, just choose your target language, refresh the page, paste the Polish version in and wait

If you choose another target language after this, it seems the "glitch" magically disappears.

I wonder if something like this also happens when using the API... (LOL)
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
bussare agli occhiali Apr 7, 2018

Who's that knocking on my glasses?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Haha Apr 7, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Who's that knocking on my glasses?

I had missed that! A few more points to the "Italian" version then

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Funny :) Apr 11, 2018

To clear things out - the Deep-L translation is copied from the Trados plugin which uses API.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deep-L may be good, but sometimes... Wow.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »