https://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/324290-sharing_opinion_on_machine_translation.html

Sharing opinion on machine translation
Thread poster: Lexcode_kr
Lexcode_kr
Lexcode_kr
South Korea
Local time: 01:03
Apr 8, 2018

Hi,

I’ve posted it because I’d like to listen to translator’s thought about machine translation.
Many companies have launched services that are connected with machine translation or tried to catch up with that trend.
I have curiosity on what translators think about that.

So, do you use the machine translation when you translate? If you do, how frequently? And what kind of it? And what do you think its merit?
And the result was as accurate as you
... See more
Hi,

I’ve posted it because I’d like to listen to translator’s thought about machine translation.
Many companies have launched services that are connected with machine translation or tried to catch up with that trend.
I have curiosity on what translators think about that.

So, do you use the machine translation when you translate? If you do, how frequently? And what kind of it? And what do you think its merit?
And the result was as accurate as you can use that directly?

If you have negative opinion on that, please let me know your opinion freely.

Thank you.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Curate's egg Apr 9, 2018

MT has its good and bad points. What it doesn’t do is instantly turn any old Tom Dick or Harriet into a translator. If used judiciously, it can be a useful tool for translators who know what they’re doing. The problem is when it is seized upon by the unwary who think it will enable them to make a living from translation with minimal effort. MT can be useful for translating repetitive or mechanical/technical texts where there is little room for interpretation. However, I don’t think it can ... See more
MT has its good and bad points. What it doesn’t do is instantly turn any old Tom Dick or Harriet into a translator. If used judiciously, it can be a useful tool for translators who know what they’re doing. The problem is when it is seized upon by the unwary who think it will enable them to make a living from translation with minimal effort. MT can be useful for translating repetitive or mechanical/technical texts where there is little room for interpretation. However, I don’t think it can be much use in for example, literary or artistic texts.
I could go on, but let’s wait and see what others have to say.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My published opinion Apr 9, 2018

Here is my opinion:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/comparison.html
... with some practical EN > PT-BR comparison.

When a translation client is pressed for cash, to the point of offering half (or less) the professional translation market average, at least for my language pair (EN < > PT), I advise them to use machine translation to avoid wasting money.

If th
... See more
Here is my opinion:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/comparison.html
... with some practical EN > PT-BR comparison.

When a translation client is pressed for cash, to the point of offering half (or less) the professional translation market average, at least for my language pair (EN < > PT), I advise them to use machine translation to avoid wasting money.

If they really believe that amateur human translation will do, I give them this PT > EN example:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/professional-translation.html

After all, it's their choice, however I think the prospect may need some information to make an educated decision.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing opinion on machine translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »