Help identifying origin and getting rid of "altcontent" and "rpr id=(number) transform=close" tags
Thread poster: adrianrff
adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Feb 22, 2018

Does anyone have an idea of what "altcontent I'd = '(number)'" and "rpr id = (number) transform" = 'close'" tags are? I'm going crazy trying to get rid of them because they don't seem to have any effect in the document formatting.

The document (Word 2016) I'm working on was imported from a PDF and have several lines (its a form) created from shapes in word, I don't know if that matters. I have tried cleaning the document manually (normalizing font size and color, same style, no styl
... See more
Does anyone have an idea of what "altcontent I'd = '(number)'" and "rpr id = (number) transform" = 'close'" tags are? I'm going crazy trying to get rid of them because they don't seem to have any effect in the document formatting.

The document (Word 2016) I'm working on was imported from a PDF and have several lines (its a form) created from shapes in word, I don't know if that matters. I have tried cleaning the document manually (normalizing font size and color, same style, no style, same spacing, normalizing font attributes (which are frecuently changed by OCRs) and I've even tried using tools designed for this, but nothing works.

I can't seem to find anything online about these particular tags.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Collapse

CD_Schuster
CD_Schuster
Germany
Local time: 00:09
German to English
+ ...
Normalizing and replacing images with placeholders Feb 25, 2018

Hi,

I often come across these rather "annoying" tags. They seem to occur due to the conversion from PDF with no/barely visible effects on the document's appearance.

I have not had time to look into this properly, but so far have found out the following:

rpr = run properties, which affect the formatting in Word.
altcontent = alternative content displayed, if the actual content cannot be displayed to the user (e.g. images in a text-only viewing environm
... See more
Hi,

I often come across these rather "annoying" tags. They seem to occur due to the conversion from PDF with no/barely visible effects on the document's appearance.

I have not had time to look into this properly, but so far have found out the following:

rpr = run properties, which affect the formatting in Word.
altcontent = alternative content displayed, if the actual content cannot be displayed to the user (e.g. images in a text-only viewing environment).

Most often, I remove these by normalizing character spacing, as you have already attempted. The key here is to always set "Normal", where possible. Plus replacing symbols and images with placeholders (and then reinserting them after exporting the translation).

Another solution I have seen work is moving all text (or individual paragraphs) into Notepad and then back again or into a new Word file. Or saving the file as an old .doc file. Obviously, this involves tidying up the formatting at a later date and would probably break form fields (pseudo-translation & export is helpful in estimating this).

Greetings,
Chris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help identifying origin and getting rid of "altcontent" and "rpr id=(number) transform=close" tags

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »