PSA for those using MemoQ with Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Thread poster: Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:58
Japanese to English
Dec 31, 2019

I just wanted to issue a PSA for anyone who might be affected. It turns out that MemoQ 9.2.5 (and maybe earlier versions of 9.x) fixed a problem I was having with Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) eventually becoming so slow as to be unusable. In MemoQ 8.x, it seemed that having a DNS profile active and then typing text manually into segments in MemoQ would, after several such instances, cause Dragon's performance to dramatically slow and eventually bring the program to a halt, requiring DNS to be ... See more
I just wanted to issue a PSA for anyone who might be affected. It turns out that MemoQ 9.2.5 (and maybe earlier versions of 9.x) fixed a problem I was having with Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS) eventually becoming so slow as to be unusable. In MemoQ 8.x, it seemed that having a DNS profile active and then typing text manually into segments in MemoQ would, after several such instances, cause Dragon's performance to dramatically slow and eventually bring the program to a halt, requiring DNS to be shut down and restarted to regain functionality.

I am extremely happy that this issue appears to be fixed — thank you, thank you to whoever at MemoQ was responsible!
Collapse

Paula Darwish

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:58
Russian to English
+ ...
Excellent news! Dec 31, 2019

I've had that problem as well, especially on longer translations. I have found, however, that as long as I avoid touching the keyboard, Dragon keeps on working. Of course, that means I need either to spell out words not in Dragon's vocabulary or open the Dictation box and type there. Naturally, that slows me down.

It's great that Nuance has solved the problem. That might even make it worthwhile to upgrade to the latest release.

SKLIANCHUK YULIIA

Paula Darwish
Paula Darwish  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Problems with dragon professional 15 and Memoq Jan 23, 2020

I am still having exactly the problems described here although I have upgraded to the latest version of Memoq (9.2). It seems the only solution is not to use the keyboard at all in conjunction with Dragon. I has an SSD fitted in my laptop but with both programmes running, it still really struggles.

Bree Salmon
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, spoke too soon Jan 23, 2020

Yes, it seems I spoke too soon with my first post. I'm still having the problem, as well, although it seems to be much improved from earlier versions.

One thing that seems to upset Dragon with respect to using it together with MemoQ is typing characters in foreign languages. Typing a few words out in Japanese, in my case, seems to greatly accelerate Dragon's descent into madness. It also doesn't seem to like numbers being typed out, but that might not be accurate.

Essen
... See more
Yes, it seems I spoke too soon with my first post. I'm still having the problem, as well, although it seems to be much improved from earlier versions.

One thing that seems to upset Dragon with respect to using it together with MemoQ is typing characters in foreign languages. Typing a few words out in Japanese, in my case, seems to greatly accelerate Dragon's descent into madness. It also doesn't seem to like numbers being typed out, but that might not be accurate.

Essentially, the only way around this issue (still) is to do as James has said above: use the dictation box. Here's to hoping this problem gets fixed.
Collapse

Paula Darwish

Bree Salmon
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another update - fixed now? Mar 13, 2020

So I think I may have fixed it. Or at least greatly improved the situation.

Looking around on the Knowbrainer forums (an excellent source for information and advice about using Dragon), I came across a post mentioning possible conflicts between Skype and Dragon. So, I uninstalled Skype, and everything seems good now.

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled
... See more

Looking around on the Knowbrainer forums (an excellent source for information and advice about using Dragon), I came across a post mentioning possible conflicts between Skype and Dragon. So, I uninstalled Skype, and everything seems good now.

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled Skype.

I'm not sure if this is a complete and permanent fix, but I haven't noticed any slowdown since. Would like to hear if anyone else gets the same result.
Collapse

Helen McKinnon
Helen McKinnon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Thanks for clearing that up Jul 2, 2020

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the i... See more
Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the issue will have been resolved in the latest version, otherwise I will have to give up as it is just too slow.

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the dictation box open all the time? Mine closes once I have clicked "transfer".

Many thanks in advance,

Helen
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Speech Productivity (a better dictation box for Dragon) Jul 2, 2020

Btw, for a MUCH BETTER dictation box, try this: http://www.speechproductivity.eu/

Michael

Paula Darwish
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Memoq 9.4 / dragon issues Jul 2, 2020

FYI to Helen,

I wrote to MemoQ to ask if later versions worked better with Dragon and they said that Dragon was not supported in later versions so I am interested to see how you get on with 9.4. I am still using an earlier version.

Helen McKinnon wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I recently got a new copy of DNS after a break and, full of enthusiasm, started using it in conjunction with MemoQ yesterday. A couple of frustrating hours later I had to go back to typing because it was so slow! It makes sense now that the problem started when I also used the keyboard. I am currently downloading MemoQ 9.4 to see if that makes a difference. I thought something must have been up when I realised I could use the dictation box with no issues. Hopefully the issue will have been resolved in the latest version, otherwise I will have to give up as it is just too slow.

Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the dictation box open all the time? Mine closes once I have clicked "transfer".

Many thanks in advance,

Helen

Paula Darwish
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
Turkish to English
+ ...
anyone using speechproductivity with MemoQ? Jul 2, 2020

I am interested to hear if anyone has used this successfully with recent versions of MemoQ?
Michael Beijer wrote:

Btw, for a MUCH BETTER dictation box, try this: http://www.speechproductivity.eu/

Michael

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 13:58
French to English
+ ...
Skype - full uninstall, or just close it? Sep 21, 2020

Did you find you had to do a full uninstall of Skype, or did you just have to close the program (via the taskbar, of course, as simply closing the window doesn't stop Skype from running)?

Bree Salmon wrote:

I should mention that I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 (fresh installation), but I was still having similar problems until I uninstalled Skype.

I'm not sure if this is a complete and permanent fix, but I haven't noticed any slowdown since. Would like to hear if anyone else gets the same result.

Bree Salmon
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great news (so far)! Oct 22, 2020

I wanted to let you all know that Nuance has released a new update for DPI (Dragon Professional Individual) 15. Guess what one of the fixes is? You got it - the interminable freezes that sometimes occur in programs like MemoQ.

The update, version 15.6, has yet to be "officially" released, but Lunis in the KnowBrainer forums will send you the installer if you request it in the following thread. The only issue with this "preliminary" version is that it is not yet Windows certified, s
... See more
I wanted to let you all know that Nuance has released a new update for DPI (Dragon Professional Individual) 15. Guess what one of the fixes is? You got it - the interminable freezes that sometimes occur in programs like MemoQ.

The update, version 15.6, has yet to be "officially" released, but Lunis in the KnowBrainer forums will send you the installer if you request it in the following thread. The only issue with this "preliminary" version is that it is not yet Windows certified, so you'll have to click yes to accept that fact when installing. Oh, and Nuance apparently thought it wise to eliminate almost all of the functions from Dragon's tray icon right-click menu. Now you HAVE to use the DragonBar (but can still hide it).

15.6 appears to have solved the laggy text / freezing issue completely (this exact issue is listed as one of the fixes), although I've only been using it for several hours. Just thought I would put an end to the pain for anyone in my situation who's been using the dictation box or other means to deal with this long-lasting DNS/MemoQ incompatibility.

FYI, I never did completely solve the issue in 15.3. Something in that code is just fatally flawed.

Not sure if a link to the forum would be allowed here so just do a Google search for the following (without the quotes):
"dpi 15.6 is ready to download knowbrainer"

[Edited at 2020-10-22 22:09 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
(as far as I know, Proz allows such links) Oct 22, 2020

Here's the link: https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=34838#182502

I've been testing it for a few days now, and apart from the annoying tray icon right-click menu issue, it seems to be working well.

Michael

Roseanne Gaspari
Roseanne Gaspari
United States
Local time: 04:58
Member (2003)
French to English
Still having problems with the latest versions Jan 21, 2021

Hi,

I'm having the same issues with MemoQ and Dragon that you are all describing - freezing and eventually crashing - even though I recently upgraded to Dragon 15.61 and MemoQ 9.5.11.

I worked for years with these apps co-existing in perfect harmony and am frustrated that they no longer seem to like each other. They say on the MemoQ website that Dragon 13 is compatible but not 15 which causes memory problems. I submitted a request to MemoQ to ask about this and will p
... See more
Hi,

I'm having the same issues with MemoQ and Dragon that you are all describing - freezing and eventually crashing - even though I recently upgraded to Dragon 15.61 and MemoQ 9.5.11.

I worked for years with these apps co-existing in perfect harmony and am frustrated that they no longer seem to like each other. They say on the MemoQ website that Dragon 13 is compatible but not 15 which causes memory problems. I submitted a request to MemoQ to ask about this and will post if I get any useful info. Otherwise I'm not sure where to go from here except to buy DNS 13 and hope it works!

Roseanne
Collapse

Bree Salmon
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working well Mar 7, 2021

Yeah, after time has gone on, I've noticed that the two pieces of software still don't seem to like each other. I am still getting severe slowdown after a combination of speaking out and typing out sentences. Using the dictation box is the best solution I can think of.

Hearing that DNS 13 might work makes me very tempted to try. Would love to hear from someone who is still using 13 or who could install 13 to provide feedback on this.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Also having issues Feb 14, 2022

Hello all!

I found this post while googling "memoQ 9.9 crashes with dragon naturally speaking", so you can probably guess where I'm going. I also have Dragon 15 and it's been extremely frustrating (not to mention, it has slowed me down considerably when working).

Bree Salmon wrote:

Hearing that DNS 13 might work makes me very tempted to try. Would love to hear from someone who is still using 13 or who could install 13 to provide feedback on this.

I was also wondering if there's anyone who's tried it and could confirm?

Thank you.

PS: also, I was wondering if anyone has tried another speech recognition software with memoQ? They apparently have developed their own technology ("Hey memoQ"), but it is available for Apple devices only. Go figure.

[Edited at 2022-02-14 03:08 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PSA for those using MemoQ with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »