Anyone have any positive/negative feedback regarding Metatexis?
Thread poster: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2003

Hello all,

I just downloaded a copy of Metatexis to my new computer, and I am considering whether it is worth my while to undertake the necessary installation of SR 1a so it can run with my Word 2000.

I know some of you in the past have seen glitches develop upon installing SR 1a (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=54911#54911), and I would appreci
... See more
Hello all,

I just downloaded a copy of Metatexis to my new computer, and I am considering whether it is worth my while to undertake the necessary installation of SR 1a so it can run with my Word 2000.

I know some of you in the past have seen glitches develop upon installing SR 1a (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=54911#54911), and I would appreciate an update as to whether or not you would recommend I go through with it.

Anyone out there super happy/disappointed with Metatexis? I get it for free as a Platinum member, and would love to take advantage of it, but I would not be happy if my computer developed problems (not being a techie myself, that would be a major hassle).

Thanks for any feedback, and have a great weekend!

Susana
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Unhappy with it... May 31, 2003

Hi Susana,
I downloaded it last fall, and I never was able to really get into the swing of it. It took me too much time to try to get used to using a CAT tool, so I just ignored it, even though it was always on my Word documents. Then one day, mysteriously, it disappeared! I have no idea what happened to it, but that's OK with me. I just love to translate, and I love words so much, that I just go at it the old fashioned way. When I think about it, three years ago I would write all of
... See more
Hi Susana,
I downloaded it last fall, and I never was able to really get into the swing of it. It took me too much time to try to get used to using a CAT tool, so I just ignored it, even though it was always on my Word documents. Then one day, mysteriously, it disappeared! I have no idea what happened to it, but that's OK with me. I just love to translate, and I love words so much, that I just go at it the old fashioned way. When I think about it, three years ago I would write all of my translations by hand before typing them into the computer...hard to believe but true! I love the feel of paper and pens, even though I enjoy computers too. Anyway, I guess you'll need to hear from someone else to make a decision.
Kind regards,
Gayle
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 11:50
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Probado ...y olvidado May 31, 2003

Tal cual

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Any CAT tool experience? May 31, 2003

Hi,
I think it is an important question if you have already some experience with CAT Tools and if you apreciate the work they do for you or the help they give you in your job?
I think they all do have advantages and disadvantages and it depends on with which tool you fall in love or which tool your client wants you to use....
I have never tried MetaTaxis but one day if I get the chance I will certainly...
See more
Hi,
I think it is an important question if you have already some experience with CAT Tools and if you apreciate the work they do for you or the help they give you in your job?
I think they all do have advantages and disadvantages and it depends on with which tool you fall in love or which tool your client wants you to use....
I have never tried MetaTaxis but one day if I get the chance I will certainly
Natália
Collapse

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
Have used it and like it very much Jun 1, 2003

Hi,
I have been using Trados since 1999, mostly for Chinese to English, which takes some "tweaking" in almost any CAT tool because of the coding issues involved.

I downloaded Metatexis earlier this year from ProZ and installed it. It worked fine for awhile -- then my computer developed another, unrelated issue and it doesn't work right anymore as a result, but during the time I was using Metatexis, I liked it very much.

Compared to Trados, I find it more flexible.
... See more
Hi,
I have been using Trados since 1999, mostly for Chinese to English, which takes some "tweaking" in almost any CAT tool because of the coding issues involved.

I downloaded Metatexis earlier this year from ProZ and installed it. It worked fine for awhile -- then my computer developed another, unrelated issue and it doesn't work right anymore as a result, but during the time I was using Metatexis, I liked it very much.

Compared to Trados, I find it more flexible. I like the stop list option which allows me to mark things I want to return to, so that I can "batch translate" without worrying about the small details. Yes, I could do this by marking Trados text with colors too in Word, but I just happen to like the assurance that this feature will catch the word or phrase in question EVERY time it appears in the document, even if I miss marking it.

I like the glossary options and the fact that I can open more than one TM for searches.

I would like to see a batch option to create glossaries (maybe it exists and I just don't know about it, but entering them by hand is somewhat tedious).

I had no difficulty importing my Trados TMs into Metatexis and exporting Trados formatted TMs out. Ditto for document transfers -- no problems going between the wto formats with documents. I like Metatexis' philosophy of having the document function unto itself so that I can use it on another computer easily.

Most of all (Listen up, Trados!!) I like NOT HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT A US$1,000 DONGLE! I go back and forth a lot and work on the road, and the worry about losing the dongle is constant, although I treat it with almost paranoical care.

If I can get my underlying Windows issues sorted out (which will have to wait as I'm running English windows but living in Taiwan) I plan to go to Metatexis exclusively. I'm tired of being squeezed every six months by Trados for another "upgrade" which are mostly designed for agencies. This may be a personal thing, as I don't like the Trados "workspace", I just want to translate vanilla-flavored Word documents without losing the formatting and while saving my effort in a TM.

One thing I really HATE about Metatexis, however, is the fact that if there is a partial match for a segment, it takes me like four keystrokes to accept the modified version (select the closest one, modify it, then like two goes to select the modified version and close it). That's annoying. I'm used to the Trados one-stroke way of doing business. Maybe I could adjust MetaTexis' settings somehow to give me only one option. I probably need to tweak the % match settings to optimize the way the program works, so that I don't have to wade through so many "close but not really what I want" matches.

Just my NT$0.66 (about US$0.02 these days)

Terry
Collapse

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Love it! Jun 2, 2003

Frankly, I love the program. I have had no problem importing/exporting the required files for those jobs that 'require trados'. Tech support is fast and helpful. And the price is right! Especially for platinum Proz members.

-JR

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone have any positive/negative feedback regarding Metatexis?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »