MetaTexis: opening a tagged document (PageMaker)
Thread poster: Hayley Goodstein
Hayley Goodstein
Hayley Goodstein  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2007

How do I open a PageMaker file (or any other tagged document) with MetaTexis?

I've read the Help files and it says it can work with tagged files, but it lacks step-by-step instructions on how to get the file open in a way that MT can access it.

I tried launching the Start Assistant, but it only asks me if I want to translate THIS document (the blank Word file, Document 1). There is no prompt to find the PM file I'd like to translate.

Then I tried opening
... See more
How do I open a PageMaker file (or any other tagged document) with MetaTexis?

I've read the Help files and it says it can work with tagged files, but it lacks step-by-step instructions on how to get the file open in a way that MT can access it.

I tried launching the Start Assistant, but it only asks me if I want to translate THIS document (the blank Word file, Document 1). There is no prompt to find the PM file I'd like to translate.

Then I tried opening the file using the MT Open menu command, and selecting the PM file. It opened, eventually, as a jumble of characters. I went ahead, out of curiosity, and tried the Start Assistant again telling it to translate THIS document (the jumble). It froze and I had to restart Word.

I also tried launching the Start Assistant with no document open, just Word, but nothing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hayley
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:04
English to German
Use the MetaTexis command to open files Aug 2, 2007

Hello Hayley,

to open tagged files in MetaTexis, you only have to use the special MetaTexis command to open a document. (You must not use the Word command to avoid automatic conversion to the Word document format.)

But note that MetaTexis cannot open native PageMaker files! MetaTexis can only handle the exported files! That is, to translate a PageMaker file you first have to export the texts in PageMaker, then translate the exported file with MetaTexis. Finally, re-impo
... See more
Hello Hayley,

to open tagged files in MetaTexis, you only have to use the special MetaTexis command to open a document. (You must not use the Word command to avoid automatic conversion to the Word document format.)

But note that MetaTexis cannot open native PageMaker files! MetaTexis can only handle the exported files! That is, to translate a PageMaker file you first have to export the texts in PageMaker, then translate the exported file with MetaTexis. Finally, re-import the translation into PageMaker.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Hayley Goodstein
Hayley Goodstein  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support of tagged documents misleading??? Aug 2, 2007

I agree that there must be some intermediary step in order for Metatexis to deal with the tagged files (not just PageMaker). But exporting the text into a rtf file is what I would consider a "manual" work around - not something Metatexis does for me.

However, in their documentation and help files it says they have support for tagged formats:

"MetaTexis includes built-in support for tagged documents. The following formats are supported: HTML, SML, Quark Express, PageMak
... See more
I agree that there must be some intermediary step in order for Metatexis to deal with the tagged files (not just PageMaker). But exporting the text into a rtf file is what I would consider a "manual" work around - not something Metatexis does for me.

However, in their documentation and help files it says they have support for tagged formats:

"MetaTexis includes built-in support for tagged documents. The following formats are supported: HTML, SML, Quark Express, PageMaker, FrameMaker, Interleaf, Ventura, XLIFF, OpenTag, MetaTexis language files, user defined formats....
While other CAT tools require you to prepare the documents with special programs, in MetaTexis the text preparation of tagged documents is one step of the Start Assistant. In the first step you have to define the type of the document. When the Start Assistant is finished the document will be prepared for translating (see Start Assistant)."

I did try using the Metatexis Open command. (That's how I got the jumbled text.) Unfortunately, the above information is all that is provided in the help files.

Fortunately, I'm not working on a specific file at the moment, just evaluating different CAT Tools. As far as I'm concerned, if there is not direct support of a file format: import and export of text directly from a file, then it shouldn't be listed as a "feature".

I do appreciate your thoughts though.

Thanks,
Hayley
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MetaTexis: opening a tagged document (PageMaker)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »