Who third party can I turn to in order to get an invoice generated?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:27
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 30, 2020

This same translation agency, in India, that for one year ago delayed a payment to me for jobs performed in March 2019 with payment done in December, only after numerous reminders from me.

Now it's the same thing again: They do not generate the invoice for me (I am not allowed to send my own invoice to them), and the log in to their online portal only works sometimes. So they have complete control of when (if) they are going to pay me. This invoice is on 910 USD.

So I s
... See more
This same translation agency, in India, that for one year ago delayed a payment to me for jobs performed in March 2019 with payment done in December, only after numerous reminders from me.

Now it's the same thing again: They do not generate the invoice for me (I am not allowed to send my own invoice to them), and the log in to their online portal only works sometimes. So they have complete control of when (if) they are going to pay me. This invoice is on 910 USD.

So I sent my own invoice today with a remark that I will turn to the same collection agency I have used successfully before in India if my invoice remains unpaid for 2 weeks after my due date. I dated this invoice with today's date: 30th March 2020, although my invoice should have been generated since long time before. According to our agreement, I entered the due date in 60 days from today. The only deviation from our agreement now is that I send my own invoice instead of waiting for them to generate an invoice for me in their online portal. Because I do not know when and if they are going to do that, and because I can not log in to their portal.

In order to prove that it is not possible to log in to their portal, is there any third party I can turn to (preferably several) that can verify this? Otherwise, they will just claim they have indeed generated the invoice for me and that it's possible to log in to their portal.

A few weeks ago, I could log in, and at that time they had not generated the invoice.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:27
Danish to English
+ ...
Record a video Mar 30, 2020

I suggest you record an attempt to log in. Flashback Express can record a screen video (there is a free version). Of course they could claim you're using the wrong password, so perhaps using your phone to record both the screen and keyboard would be better.

Please be sure to rate this agency in the Blue Board to warn others.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Get an invoice generated Apr 1, 2020

I think you mean "purchase order" which in my experience is generated by the agency rather than "invoice" which is generated by the translator.

I never begin any work until I receive a purchase order or contract from an agency. No purchase order, no work. I am adamant about this. The PO is a sign of good faith on the part of the client indicating a contractual relationship between the agency and the translator. It usually indicates the type of work (translation/revision), the fee,
... See more
I think you mean "purchase order" which in my experience is generated by the agency rather than "invoice" which is generated by the translator.

I never begin any work until I receive a purchase order or contract from an agency. No purchase order, no work. I am adamant about this. The PO is a sign of good faith on the part of the client indicating a contractual relationship between the agency and the translator. It usually indicates the type of work (translation/revision), the fee, the delivery date and the estimated date of payment. It is my insurance policy if I have to make a negative entry on the Blue Board ("failure to pay as promised") or lean on the agency by threatening through Small Claims Court. I recently went through a tedious onboarding process for a large agency and passed their tests which were quite difficult. A translation was requested but no purchase order was generated. I informed them that there would be no work from me until they made a formal request in the form of a purchase order. I never heard from them again. Failure to issue a P.O. in some cases may be a ploy to delay payment as long as possible. "The project manager is away". "The PO will be generated in a few days". Or worse, "crickets", leaving the translator high and dry.

With all due respect: you have had major issues with this agency before (payment delayed by many months, no one available). Why would you continue to do business with them? They have proven themselves unreliable. You should stop trying to suss some degree of honesty out of them and just drop them.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
William [Bill] Gray
Fatine Echenique
Esther Dodo
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Giang Nam Nguyen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who third party can I turn to in order to get an invoice generated?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »