samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 16:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 24, 2005

Hi All,

I received an email from a company in Germany that wanted to cooperate and required me to go a link and enter only a password to download the form. When I did that and clicked on the button, my Norton Internet Security crashed and got a syntax error with my Outlook Express. I turned the computer off and restarted and I am scanning right now.

I didn't disclose the name of the company, just to make sure this was not an error. If anybody had this experience, pleas
... See more
Hi All,

I received an email from a company in Germany that wanted to cooperate and required me to go a link and enter only a password to download the form. When I did that and clicked on the button, my Norton Internet Security crashed and got a syntax error with my Outlook Express. I turned the computer off and restarted and I am scanning right now.

I didn't disclose the name of the company, just to make sure this was not an error. If anybody had this experience, please post.

Thanks,

Sameh
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:36
Chinese to English
+ ...
Never click links from unfamiliar senders Feb 23, 2021

It's not a good idea to click on links from senders that you don't trust

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
One of these days ... Feb 23, 2021

... I just know I'm going to read one of these threads, perhaps as an OP, and realise it's from years ago, and I'm reading it in my coffin because I'm dead. Like the lovely Jenny Forbes is (the "Poulenc pronunciation" thread).

[Edited at 2021-02-23 20:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-24 06:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-24 11:16 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
3 dead people! Feb 23, 2021

The "Poulenc pronunciation" thread contains 3 dead people actually, but that is not the point.

A month ago or so I started a thread about this "new trend" of reviving old forums. It seemed to be an old trend I was told. Silly me.

What I don't understand is what is the sense of reopening old threads just for the fun of it? If it was about a still actual topic, OK, but this is confusing, and in some cases even weird.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 21:39 GMT]

[Edited
... See more
The "Poulenc pronunciation" thread contains 3 dead people actually, but that is not the point.

A month ago or so I started a thread about this "new trend" of reviving old forums. It seemed to be an old trend I was told. Silly me.

What I don't understand is what is the sense of reopening old threads just for the fun of it? If it was about a still actual topic, OK, but this is confusing, and in some cases even weird.

[Edited at 2021-02-23 21:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-23 21:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-23 22:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-23 22:39 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
Wolfgang Schoene

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well? Feb 23, 2021

Can someone tell me why necroposting is bad form? What difference does it make how long ago it was posted?

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Well, since your asking.... Feb 23, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Can someone tell me why necroposting is bad form? What difference does it make how long ago it was posted?

To keep it simple, let bygones be bygones. Why reviving old threads with a non related comment?

Furthermore, it hurts seeing/reading old deceased estimated colleagues. I used to know some of them. Most of their answers don't matter anymore, and none of them can answer you!

Necroposting on itself is not a bad form as long as it serves a purpose, even if it involves deceased colleagues, but just for the fun of it shows for me a lack of consideration.

And for the rest, please see my post above.

While I got you on the line: 'Why are you doing it?'

[Edited at 2021-02-23 23:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-23 23:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-23 23:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-24 09:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-24 10:55 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Necroposting and netiquette scriptures Feb 24, 2021

I think I found the reason why necroposting is frowned upon here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

... See more
I think I found the reason why necroposting is frowned upon here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/2as5gh/eli5_why_is_a_necro_postposter_a_bad_thing/

It says: ‘[…] the fallout of user comments due to necro behavior can make the mods deal with many negative remarks surrounding it.’

So we have this necroposting ‘rule’, which someone in his (surely a male) infinite wisdom defined for some obscure reason, believing that His word must surely be the law for everybody on the planet, and why not the entire Universe and beyond?

And necroposting is bad because people who subscribe to the view that once a ‘netiquette’ rule has been defined by some dictatorial hack, no sin on Earth – or in the entire Universe, for that matter, as I hinted – is worse than breaking it, so insulting the perpetrator is par for the course, whereas ‘religious’ netiquette followers secretly hope the miserable sod will be slowly roasted over an open fire.

One must conclude that it is bad because the netiquette scriptures say it is bad, and thus the ‘religious’ followers will demonstrate how bad it is by posting nasty comments that make it clear how bad it is, so they can feel vindicated in their self-righteous and glorious beliefs.
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe Feb 24, 2021

Maybe the site should make the date of the original posting visible on the overview page, e.g. next to poster's name? Then we'd know in advance if it's an ancient thread.

Lincoln isn't breaking any rules or doing anything objectionable IMO. We all probably have more time on our hands these days and less personal contact, and need an 'exchange', to 'communicate'. I can understand that. And we can't all be aware of all deceased colleagues.

Matthias Brombach

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes it hurts Feb 24, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

it hurts seeing/reading old deceased estimate colleagues. I used to know many of them. Most of their answers don't matter anymore, and none of them can answer you!

Necroposting on itself is not a bad form as long as it serves a purpose, even if it involves deceased colleagues, but just for the fun of it shows for me a lack of consideration.

It hurts in useless and obsolete forums, nothing bad if useful, but most of them are anachronistic. I am really disturbed.

Not sure, can be a cultural thing but I am disturbed, very disturbed, especially psychologically.

Robert Rietvelt

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Date is present Feb 24, 2021

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Maybe the site should make the date of the original posting visible on the overview page, e.g. next to poster's name? Then we'd know in advance if it's an ancient thread.

At the beginning of the thread date is present.

And we can't all be aware of all deceased colleagues

Please check, under the name of deceased colleagues there is IN MEMORIAM, in green, So one just has to read.

[Edited at 2021-02-24 10:56 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
@Angie: Feb 24, 2021

I wouldn't mind too much to read also or again the posts / names of the deceased colleagues, as long as there is no one behaving disrespectfully against them or by quoting them. Reading their names and posts can also happen in threads only one or two years old. But I understand your point that the entire campaign is not really necessary, although I also see some fun effect (with old posts in general, not with the deceased colleagues, please get me right) we perhaps need today more than in other ... See more
I wouldn't mind too much to read also or again the posts / names of the deceased colleagues, as long as there is no one behaving disrespectfully against them or by quoting them. Reading their names and posts can also happen in threads only one or two years old. But I understand your point that the entire campaign is not really necessary, although I also see some fun effect (with old posts in general, not with the deceased colleagues, please get me right) we perhaps need today more than in other times.Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Anachronistic Feb 24, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

it hurts seeing/reading old deceased estimate colleagues. I used to know many of them. Most of their answers don't matter anymore, and none of them can answer you!

It hurts in useless and obsolete forums, nothing bad if useful, but most of them are anachronistic. I am really disturbed.

Not sure, can be a cultural thing but I am disturbed, very disturbed, especially psychologically.

As it happens, Tom likes things that are completely anachronistic and 20 years old, or even 200 years old. He finds them useful and relevant. If you're not interested in them yourself, just leave them. They're not bothering you.

Daryo

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not? Feb 24, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
They're not bothering you.

Is that your only (poor) reaction to a colleague who claimed it does bother her?

Angie Garbarino

Lincoln Hui
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well Feb 24, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:
They're not bothering you.

Is that your only (poor) reaction to a colleague who claimed it does bother her?

Tom's the only one who can answer you. I'm just trying to fit in with the way that the community does things.

[Edited at 2021-02-24 14:46 GMT]

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
Serbian to English
+ ...
This thread has gone completely "off-off topic"!!! Feb 25, 2021

to go back to the initial "off-topic" topic.

Nowadays virus emails are still a threat, but far from being the main one.

Just one example: today simply visiting the wrong website is enough to seriously damage your computer - (no need to click on anything) without you even realising it before it's too late.

Not to mention whole operating systems that in their "default settings" are in effect no more than an elaborate spying malware!

I'm not goin
... See more
to go back to the initial "off-topic" topic.

Nowadays virus emails are still a threat, but far from being the main one.

Just one example: today simply visiting the wrong website is enough to seriously damage your computer - (no need to click on anything) without you even realising it before it's too late.

Not to mention whole operating systems that in their "default settings" are in effect no more than an elaborate spying malware!

I'm not going to go into technical details of all sorts of new "computer nasties" - do your own research, it's **definitely** worth the time spent on it.

[Edited at 2021-02-25 23:23 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus Email

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »