Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:42
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jul 10, 2018

Hi all,

I've started translating an app about guitar chords.

It shows like this:

"GtrLib Chords" = "GtrLib Chords";
"Search" = "Search";
"Search Chords" = "Search Chords";

I would need to hide the first part until the third " so that it ends like this:

"GtrLib Chords";
"Search";
"Search Chords";

I've tried to fiddle with Regex but it's late and I can't figure how to do it. Should I use
... See more
Hi all,

I've started translating an app about guitar chords.

It shows like this:

"GtrLib Chords" = "GtrLib Chords";
"Search" = "Search";
"Search Chords" = "Search Chords";

I would need to hide the first part until the third " so that it ends like this:

"GtrLib Chords";
"Search";
"Search Chords";

I've tried to fiddle with Regex but it's late and I can't figure how to do it. Should I use Excel instead? Any smart idea is welcome!
Collapse

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
What's the programming language/software? Jul 10, 2018

Regex? I'd say something along the lines of
[code type="PHP"] $texte = preg_replace('#^(.+) = (.+)$#i', '$2', $texte); [/code]

Not sure however what's the big idea. I mean, in jEdit even a macro can handle this in no time.

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michel Jul 10, 2018

What's the programming language/software? No idea. I got the text from the developer. This is not about programming. I have the text in txt form and I have both the LHS (for the source) and the translation goes on the RHS. But I need to get rid of the LHS. Nothing more, nothing less. As we say in French, this is ma (internal) cuisine. Nothing to do with the developer or the programming language. Thanx for the answer nonetheless.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Excel, "Text in columns" Jul 10, 2018

Excel can be a powerful tool for operations like this. Import or copy your text into Excel and then use "Data" -> "Text in Columns" and use the "=" character as separator. That should give you the desired result in the second column.

(I am not sure about the Excel menu because my Excel is a German version)

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that... tomorrow morning! Jul 10, 2018

Thank you Kay-Viktor.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:42
Greek to English
Also in MS Word Jul 11, 2018

You can do this in Word as follows:

Replace every ' = ' with '^t' (that's a tab character)

Then convert the text to a table, using the default settings.

Then delete what you don't want.

Modify to suit your precise needs.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which program Jul 11, 2018

Christophe Delaunay wrote:
I've tried to fiddle with regex but ... I can't figure how to do it. Should I use Excel instead?

In what program are you currently trying to edit/translate the text?

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Philip Lees Jul 11, 2018

Thank you. I'll try that too. Just for curiosity and productiveness

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel Jul 11, 2018

Hi Samuel,
I thought you would show up in my post

I work with memoQ 2014 (but I tried to hide the beginning parts in Word)

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Whats the goal? Jul 11, 2018

I have the text in txt form and I have both the LHS (for the source) and the translation goes on the RHS. But I need to get rid of the LHS.

The result would be a .txt file that includes no references to the original meanings of the snippets. Are you sure the programmer wants such a file?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Christophe Jul 11, 2018

I work with memoQ 2014 (but I tried to hide the beginning parts in Word)

The web site says MemoQ has an INI filter. What happens if you use it? I'm not sure if MemoQ requires you to rename the file to ".ini" to use the INI filter.

Your file's format looks like it's in a dialect of the file format called key=value, commonly used in INI and LNG files. The part before the = sign is the "key" and should not be altered, and the part after the = sign is the value, which must be translated. Some CAT tools have INI file filters hide the quotes as well.

Rolf Keller wrote:
I have the text in txt form and I have both the LHS (for the source) and the translation goes on the RHS. But I need to get rid of the LHS.

The result would be a .txt file that includes no references to the original meanings of the snippets.

I think Christophe wants to hide it, not actually "get rid of" it. In many CAT tools, if text in a document (e.g. MS Word file) is marked as hidden text, it is not displayed to the translator, but it is still present in the final file.

[Edited at 2018-07-11 12:23 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf Jul 11, 2018

Rolf Keller wrote:
The result would be a .txt file that includes no references to the original meanings of the snippets. Are you sure the programmer wants such a file?

The text would be hidden so that memoq does do anythign with it and then I would get it back again in the final Word file. I've never had to do many times but it seems many people use this trick.

As to the programmer, he just told me he's fine with just the translated text. So now it is just a technical trick I'd like to know just for the sake of it.

Christophe Delaunay
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, response disappeared! Jul 11, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

The web site says MemoQ has an INI filter. What happens if you use it? I'm not sure if MemoQ requires you to rename the file to ".ini" to use the INI filter.

Your file's format looks like it's in a dialect of the file format called key=value, commonly used in INI and LNG files. The part before the = sign is the "key" and should not be altered, and the part after the = sign is the value, which must be translated. Some CAT tools have INI file filters hide the quotes as well.

I am not up to that level, Samuel. I know a bit about .ini files but not as much as to fiddle with them.

Rolf Keller wrote:

The result would be a .txt file that includes no references to the original meanings of the snippets.

I think Christophe wants to hide it, not actually "get rid of" it. In many CAT tools, if text in a document (e.g. MS Word file) is marked as hidden text, it is not displayed to the translator, but it is still present in the final file.

[Edited at 2018-07-11 12:23 GMT]

Exactly! You got my point, Samuel.

Sorry, Rolf, if I used the wrong terminology.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to hide first part of a sentence

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »