How to put a text box over non-editable text in Excel
Thread poster: Baran Keki
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:56
English to Turkish
Aug 27, 2018

It seems to work with PPT and Word documents, but I couldn't figure out how to put a text box over a non-editable text and make it completely disappear. The non-editable text in excel graph will always appear beneath the text box. Your help will be much appreciated. I am using MS Office 2010 btw.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:56
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends what you mean exactly? Aug 27, 2018

Baran Keki wrote:

The non-editable text in excel graph will always appear beneath the text box.

What do you mean by "beneath"? Do you mean "behind"? If so, can you not set the background of your new foreground text box to an opaque fill colour (e.g. white) so as to maks what is behind? In Word, the default fill for text boxes is white opaque, but maybe in Excel it is transparent and needs to be set?

Just tried it in my earlier version of MS Office, and it works fine, although the default text box background was indeed opaque white.

What sort of "uneditable graphics" would you have in an XLS anwyay? Could it be that they are set to be "in front of text", for example, in which case, they will always been in front of everything; even if they are uneditable, you should be able to change the layout settings, or change the order in 'Draw'?

If you can send me an example file, I could get a better idea of what is going wrong.

[Edited at 2018-08-27 21:01 GMT]

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hide rows Aug 27, 2018

Would it work in your situation to hide the rows where that non-editable text is? (Do you know how to hide rows?)

António Guarita

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BOther Aug 28, 2018

Why should the translator even need to bother with these time-consuming issues that have got absolutely nothing to do with translation?

Baran Keki
Cetacea

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Tried it with opaque white Aug 28, 2018

Tony M wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

The non-editable text in excel graph will always appear beneath the text box.

What do you mean by "beneath"? Do you mean "behind"? If so, can you not set the background of your new foreground text box to an opaque fill colour (e.g. white) so as to maks what is behind? In Word, the default fill for text boxes is white opaque, but maybe in Excel it is transparent and needs to be set?

Just tried it in my earlier version of MS Office, and it works fine, although the default text box background was indeed opaque white.

What sort of "uneditable graphics" would you have in an XLS anwyay? Could it be that they are set to be "in front of text", for example, in which case, they will always been in front of everything; even if they are uneditable, you should be able to change the layout settings, or change the order in 'Draw'?

If you can send me an example file, I could get a better idea of what is going wrong.

[Edited at 2018-08-27 21:01 GMT]

Hi Tony, thank you for your advise. I initially copied/pasted one of the text boxes that worked for me in a PPT document, which completely covered an uneditable text, (and that was white opaque as you said) thinking it would work for me in excel as well, but it didn't. While it seems to be opaque white in PPT and word documents, it is completely transparent in Excel document (and thus showing the text beneath/behind the text box and getting mixed with the translated content inside the text box). I don't have much experience with Excel to be honest, so I wouldn't know about the technical stuff you're talking about in your last paragraph, but I'll email you a screenshot of the excel tab in question.

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed :) Aug 28, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Why should the translator even need to bother with these time-consuming issues that have got absolutely nothing to do with translation?

Unfortunately, I have to translate those non-editable texts by putting text boxes (containing the translated content) on them, but you're absolutely right, translators shouldn't be expected to do this kind of DTP stuff for their clients.

Tom in London
António Guarita

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I know Aug 28, 2018

Baran Keki wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Unfortunately, I have to translate those non-editable texts by putting text boxes (containing the translated content) on them, but you're absolutely right, translators shouldn't be expected to do this kind of DTP stuff for their clients.

I know - it happens to me too, although not often. It takes a long time.

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately Aug 28, 2018

MollyRose wrote:

Would it work in your situation to hide the rows where that non-editable text is? (Do you know how to hide rows?)

Hi Molly, thanks for your advise. But I don't think that would work in my case.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:56
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In some cases, this can be an equitable solution... Aug 28, 2018

Baran Keki wrote:

If I can, to oblige a regular customer, I will go to this much trouble; but if I have some problems with the page layout or odd behaviour, what I do is supply a separate Word document in 2 columns, with the text from the uneditable bit (either screen-grabbed or rekeyed) in the cells in the left-hand column, and my translations in the right-hand one, and then tell them to get their own graphic artists to sort it out

Tom in London
Alison Jenner
António Guarita

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I do the same Aug 28, 2018

Tony M wrote:

...what I do is supply a separate Word document in 2 columns, with the text from the uneditable bit (either screen-grabbed or rekeyed) in the cells in the left-hand column, and my translations in the right-hand one, and then tell them to get their own graphic artists to sort it out

I do the same - although even that is extra work.

[Edited at 2018-08-28 09:25 GMT]

Baran Keki
Türkiye
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly Aug 28, 2018

Tony M wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

If I can, to oblige a regular customer, I will go to this much trouble; but if I have some problems with the page layout or odd behaviour, what I do is supply a separate Word document in 2 columns, with the text from the uneditable bit (either screen-grabbed or rekeyed) in the cells in the left-hand column, and my translations in the right-hand one, and then tell them to get their own graphic artists to sort it out

Translating the non-editable stuff in a separate word document is what my client originally suggested I do, but I wanted to go the extra mile for him since he is a long-standing client and seeing as how opaque white text boxes worked for me in PPT files before. I'd like to thank you once again Tony for your suggestion. The issue is resolved now

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
covering textbox Aug 28, 2018

I didn´t realize the purpose for covering the uneditable text. In Word you can click on the textbox and choose a Wrap option so it will move where you want it (such as on top of the other one), but I didn't find Wrap in Excel. I'm glad you're getting what you need now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to put a text box over non-editable text in Excel

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »