Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:42
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 5, 2018

I need to find all italic text within parentheses, which are not always in italics. Any chance?

Colleen Roach, PhD
Colleen Roach, PhD  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:42
French to English
+ ...
your question? Oct 5, 2018

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you be more specific?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Criteria? Oct 5, 2018

First of all, does the document contain any other italic text that you do NOT want to find? If so, is the quantity so great you cannot unselect it manually afterwards?

Once you have marked it, what do you actually then need to do with it?

By 'parentheses', I assume you mean ( ) ? If so, does the text within ( ) contain mixed italics and roman, or only one or the other but not both?

Finding all italic text and replacing it with e.g. highlight is of course s
... See more
First of all, does the document contain any other italic text that you do NOT want to find? If so, is the quantity so great you cannot unselect it manually afterwards?

Once you have marked it, what do you actually then need to do with it?

By 'parentheses', I assume you mean ( ) ? If so, does the text within ( ) contain mixed italics and roman, or only one or the other but not both?

Finding all italic text and replacing it with e.g. highlight is of course simple; but to detect it ONLY within ( ) will I presume have to be done using RegEx.

[Edited at 2018-10-05 10:55 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tony Oct 5, 2018

The text is huge (260k words) and contains a few instances like this:

(some text)

meaning text that is completely in italics between parentheses that are not.

Once I find it, I need to italicize the enclosing parentheses as well, and that can be done manually.

The text also contains a lot of italics outside parentheses that I don't want to highlight because I would end up doing a visual search anyway for just a few instances in a sea of
... See more
The text is huge (260k words) and contains a few instances like this:

(some text)

meaning text that is completely in italics between parentheses that are not.

Once I find it, I need to italicize the enclosing parentheses as well, and that can be done manually.

The text also contains a lot of italics outside parentheses that I don't want to highlight because I would end up doing a visual search anyway for just a few instances in a sea of highlights.

There are also several instances of non-italics in parentheses that I don't want to find.

This kind of issue crops up occasionally, and I would love to find a general method to deal with it, i.e., specifying font format or size only for a substring of the "Find" field.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ah, well, in THAT case... Oct 5, 2018

Why not approach it differently? If your italic text within ( ) is always contiguous with the ( ), why not simply search and replace (* and then *), replacing the brackets with italics all in one go?

That would of course fail if the text in parenthesis (say) started italic but ended roman; but you could probably do a search and replace operation to highlight what would hopefuly be only a few instances for manual review...

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more Oct 5, 2018

Here's another example: how do you find a non-boldface colon immediately following a boldface character? (And possibly make it bold).

I want to find this

● One item:

but not this

● Another item:

or this

● Yet another:

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 05:42
English to Russian
+ ...
re Oct 5, 2018

Use Find in Word

turn on regex

\(([A-Za-z\_]*)\) ; do not forget adding italian accented symbols; _ = space

and below in Format -> Font -> choose Italics

[Редактировалось 2018-10-05 13:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find italic within non-italic in MS Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »