Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Russian to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2020

I am editing a document that was created by someone else.
I have two problems with things that I have used for years without difficulty. I have tried every trick known to me to solve these problems. Sometimes the problem is "solved" momentarily, but when I do some other manipulation (like "find" for a word or save the file), it reverts to the error again.

1. I want to change their style for a numbered list to one with hanging indents (every line is currently flush left). When
... See more
I am editing a document that was created by someone else.
I have two problems with things that I have used for years without difficulty. I have tried every trick known to me to solve these problems. Sometimes the problem is "solved" momentarily, but when I do some other manipulation (like "find" for a word or save the file), it reverts to the error again.

1. I want to change their style for a numbered list to one with hanging indents (every line is currently flush left). When I highlight the section and use the ribbon icon for a numbered list, I end up with NO numbering for the first paragraph; the number 1 in roman type on the second paragraph, and the number 2 in BOLD on the third paragraph. I am unable to get rid of the boldface (which was not in the original), and am unable to get the first paragraph to be included in the list.

2. I have a Style for the bibliography, which is a hanging indent. For two of the items in a long bibliography, one or more of the lines does not hang, and the italics in the text reverts to roman. There is nothing weird about these entries as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?
Collapse

Ann Kapborg
Ann Kapborg  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:26
Member (2012)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Paste special Apr 13, 2020

If you cut the text and paste it as text only you should be able to apply your Style on the paragraph.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try this Apr 13, 2020

highlight numbered text
press Ctrl+Q
go to Paragraph-Indentation-Special-Hanging
press OK
Save file
proceed with the rest of your edits.

For any other "resistant" original formatting, press Clear Formatting, then apply your new formatting.

[Edited at 2020-04-13 19:04 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:26
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank to you both! Apr 13, 2020

Both methods worked! (I never knew there was a "clear formatting" icon up there on the ribbon.) This will save me hours of aggravation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2019 problems with hanging indents

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »