Chinese OCR with Office Document Scanning
Thread poster: beirenbo
beirenbo
beirenbo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:33
Feb 9, 2007

I've been looking all over the forums, and found a lot of good options for scanning Chinese documents to OCR. It seems from most of the posts that all I need is a scanner and Office 2003, both of which I have, but I still cannot figure out how to scan Chinese documents to OCR. Is there anyone who can walk me through it step by step? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 22:33
English to Chinese
Choose original language Feb 9, 2007

Office OCR defaults original language to English. You should change it to Chinese in Microsoft Office Document Imaging:

Tools -> Options -> OCR -> OCR language

Shang

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
German to English
+ ...
Office Proofing Tools 2003 Feb 9, 2007

Firstly, make sure you have the East Asian language settings in Windows (XP):

[Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab. "Install files for East Asian languages" should be ticked, if not tick it now and it will install the appropriate files when you click OK.]

Secondly, you will probably need Office Proofing Tools 2003, and install both the Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese packages.

Once you have done this, from the start me
... See more
Firstly, make sure you have the East Asian language settings in Windows (XP):

[Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab. "Install files for East Asian languages" should be ticked, if not tick it now and it will install the appropriate files when you click OK.]

Secondly, you will probably need Office Proofing Tools 2003, and install both the Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese packages.

Once you have done this, from the start menu, select Microsoft Office -> Tools -> Microsoft Document Imaging

Once this has opened, in the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the OCR tab. Set the language for OCR here and then scan in the document or open the file.

If you have already opened the file or scanned, in the Tools menu, select Recognize text using OCR... If it says it has already done this, click OK. This then allows you to check and change the language for the OCR. If the language is correct, there is no need to run the OCR again.
Collapse

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
German to English
+ ...
And then... Feb 9, 2007

Sorry, you then need to go back to the Tools menu and select Send text to Word...

beirenbo
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I'm dumb. Feb 9, 2007

Thanks guys, I was confused since the only OCR language choices were English, French, and Spanish (story of my life!); I originally thought that Proofing Tools were something automatically included in Office, but now I realize it's something separate. The guy at my local Office Max had never even heard of it, so does anyone know where I might be able to download a free/cheap/trial version?

I also tried to download Sha
... See more
Thanks guys, I was confused since the only OCR language choices were English, French, and Spanish (story of my life!); I originally thought that Proofing Tools were something automatically included in Office, but now I realize it's something separate. The guy at my local Office Max had never even heard of it, so does anyone know where I might be able to download a free/cheap/trial version?

I also tried to download Shangshu from www.52z.com/soft/2126.html
multiple times but the download was very slow and stopped itself every time after getting about halfway through, so if anyone knows a good site for that as well, it would be way cool of you to pass that along. Thanks again!

Aaron 高山
Collapse

beirenbo
TOPIC STARTER
More Shangshu Info? Feb 9, 2007

Never mind about downloading the Shangshu. I tried again today and was able to do it much more quickly. However, as this is the first time I've tried to use actual Chinese applications, I'm a bit puzzled. All of the commands are like "???" instead of Chinese. I have the East Asian packs installed and have no problem reading the characters on Word and websites. Is there something different I need to read them on Chinese applications? Is this something that having Proofing Tools would solve?
... See more
Never mind about downloading the Shangshu. I tried again today and was able to do it much more quickly. However, as this is the first time I've tried to use actual Chinese applications, I'm a bit puzzled. All of the commands are like "???" instead of Chinese. I have the East Asian packs installed and have no problem reading the characters on Word and websites. Is there something different I need to read them on Chinese applications? Is this something that having Proofing Tools would solve?

Aaron
Collapse

jackrock
jackrock
United States
Chinese OCR with Office Document Scanning Jun 13, 2017

beirenbo wrote:

I've been looking all over the forums, and found a lot of good options for scanning Chinese documents to OCR. It seems from most of the top Bulk scanning service that all I need is a scanner and Office 2003, both of which I have, but I still cannot figure out how to scan Chinese documents to OCR. Is there anyone who can walk me through it step by step? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello,

I never heard about scanning Chinese document and their conversion into OCR.
What things you uses in converting them???

henry micke
henry micke
United States
Chinese OCR with Office Document Scanning Sep 26, 2018

beirenbo wrote:

I've been looking all over the forums, and found a lot of good options for scanning Chinese documents to OCR. It seems from most of the posts that all I need is a scanner and Office 2003, both of which I have, but I still cannot figure out how to scan Chinese documents to OCR. Is there anyone who can walk me through it step by step? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Office OCR defaults original language to English. You should change it to Chinese in Microsoft Office Document Scanning:

Tools -> Options -> OCR -> OCR language

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese OCR with Office Document Scanning

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »