Thread poster: tralo
tralo
tralo
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 6, 2019

Hello everyone. Really need your help.
I'm using OmegaT 3.6.0_11 on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, and I just can't get the spell checking to work.
I tried installing the dictionaries by using the "install new dictionary button" and the dicts got installed. Then, when doing translation, nothing happens, no highlighting, nothing.
So I tried downloading the dicts manually and putting them into the dict directory that OmegaT is pointing to, and it still doesn't work.
I tried installing th
... See more
Hello everyone. Really need your help.
I'm using OmegaT 3.6.0_11 on Ubuntu 16.04LTS, and I just can't get the spell checking to work.
I tried installing the dictionaries by using the "install new dictionary button" and the dicts got installed. Then, when doing translation, nothing happens, no highlighting, nothing.
So I tried downloading the dicts manually and putting them into the dict directory that OmegaT is pointing to, and it still doesn't work.
I tried installing the hunspell dicts using apt and then pointing OmegaT to the directory and they show up in the spellchecker setup window as installed dict, just like always, but it still doesn't work.
What am I doing wrong? Is there something special you have to do to "activate" it?
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
English to Czech
My case, Czech dictionaries Jun 6, 2019

tralo wrote:

I tried installing the hunspell dicts using apt and then pointing OmegaT to the directory and they show up in the spellchecker setup window as installed dict, just like always, but it still doesn't work.

I was not able to download dictionaries, I copied them from DGT-OmegaT.

If you want to see typo, you must write it first. Then press a right side of your mouse to see how to correct your typo.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-03/04/cs/00.html

Milan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tralo Jun 6, 2019

tralo wrote:

I'm can't help with Linux issues, but: tell us, what is the language code of the spell-checking dictionary, and what is the target language code of your translation project?

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
Russian to English
+ ...
suggestions Jun 6, 2019

Did you review Chapter 22 in the manual?
For example: "Check that the language codes are exactly the same: an FR-FR dictionary will not work
with an FR target setting, for example. If necessary, edit the file names of the dictionary or
change your project's language settings.
"To enable the spell checker, select Options > Spell Checking and tick the Automatically check
the spelling of text check box."

A frequent error is to confuse the spellchecking dic
... See more
Did you review Chapter 22 in the manual?
For example: "Check that the language codes are exactly the same: an FR-FR dictionary will not work
with an FR target setting, for example. If necessary, edit the file names of the dictionary or
change your project's language settings.
"To enable the spell checker, select Options > Spell Checking and tick the Automatically check
the spelling of text check box."

A frequent error is to confuse the spellchecking dictionary (which is in your target language) with a bilingual dictionary (source language to target language).

If you don't find an answer here, please ask on the Yahoo list, where most of the developers are to be found: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

[Edited at 2019-06-06 12:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-07 09:56 GMT]
Collapse

Katherine McMonagle (X)

tralo
tralo
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The languages codes are en-US, sv-SE. Jun 6, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

tralo wrote:

I'm can't help with Linux issues, but: tell us, what is the language code of the spell-checking dictionary, and what is the target language code of your translation project?

The languages codes are en-US, sv-SE.
I've tried making two projects, one from swe to eng and one from eng to swe, but none of them worked.

Milan Condak
English to Czech
Files Jun 7, 2019

tralo wrote:

The languages codes are en-US, sv-SE.
I've tried making two projects, one from swe to eng and one from eng to swe, but none of them worked.

I can send you these unzipped files as zipped files:

en_GB.aff 74,492 08/23/2011 23:12 -a--
en_GB.dic 701,646 08/23/2011 23:12 -a--

sv_SE.aff 14,513 08/23/2011 23:12 -a--
sv_SE.dic 1,075,746 08/23/2011 23:12 -a--
--
In EU is "en_GB" used. If you are interesting, contact me.

Milan

tralo
tralo
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I SOLVED IT! Jun 8, 2019

Thanks everyone for all your help! I really appreciate it.
I have solved the problem. My source language was EN-US and the target was SV, but the dictionary files were sv-SE.dic and sv-SE.aff.
So what I did was I changed the names of the files into sv.dic, sv.aff to match the target language name SV. Then, all of sudden, I started seeing those pretty red lines below the words!

Milan Condak
English to Czech
A match project and spellcheck language codes Jun 9, 2019

tralo wrote:

I have solved the problem. My source language was EN-US and the target was SV, but the dictionary files were sv-SE.dic and sv-SE.aff.
So what I did was I changed the names of the files into sv.dic, sv.aff to match the target language name SV.

Another solution is to create a project with SV-SE as target language and there will be a match with sv-SE.dic and sv-SE.aff files (or sv_SE.dic and sv_DE.aff).

Milan

tralo
tralo
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't realize you could actually input the language code manually. Jun 9, 2019

Milan Condak wrote:

tralo wrote:

So what I did was I changed the names of the files into sv.dic, sv.aff to match the target language name SV.

Another solution is to create a project with SV-SE as target language and there will be a match with sv-SE.dic and sv-SE.aff files (or sv_SE.dic and sv_DE.aff).

Milan

I didn't realize you could actually input the language code manually.
Thought that you could only chose from the drop-down list, which only contained SV.
Thanks for the info!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Spell check doesn't work.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »