Inflected forms in glossary/dictionary help (ru)
Thread poster: kGRussian (X)
kGRussian (X)
kGRussian (X)
United States
Jul 2, 2019

Hello, I'm new to using OmegaT. I've got the basics down, but I'm not sure about how to use the glossary and dictionary functions when it comes to different forms of the same word. Since I mainly use it for translating Russian, I'm not sure how I can set up the dictionary/glossary to find different forms of the same word.
With the dictionary I have now, it will only show me the dictionary form of the word, rather than the declined form in the text (eg мочь shows up fine but мог�
... See more
Hello, I'm new to using OmegaT. I've got the basics down, but I'm not sure about how to use the glossary and dictionary functions when it comes to different forms of the same word. Since I mainly use it for translating Russian, I'm not sure how I can set up the dictionary/glossary to find different forms of the same word.
With the dictionary I have now, it will only show me the dictionary form of the word, rather than the declined form in the text (eg мочь shows up fine but могу/можешь etc. come up blank, same with охот and охоте/охота etc.).
Is there any way to work around this? I was thinking that the easiest way to solve this would be if I could search within the imported dictionary, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

Thanks
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
Russian to English
+ ...
What version of OmegaT are you using? Jul 2, 2019

Here's how it should look in 4.2.0, the latest version of OmegaT, and other more recent versions:

tokenizers

The screen I've shown is Project Properties (Ctrl+E)

Tokenizers are not perfect. Forms of a word that are quite different in spelling from the "dictionary" form don't always pick up the glossary or dictionary entry. I tried мочь and it didn't pick up может.

[Edited at 2019-07-02 11:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-02 11:53 GMT]

kGRussian (X)
kGRussian (X)
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Tokenizer w/ glossary works, but I can't get the dictionary to work Jul 6, 2019

Thank you! I was using 3.6.0. I've updated to 4.2.0 and it's working perfectly now. I still can't seem to get a dictionary to work though. I went through the tutorial online (spell checker, download dictionary ru_RU, etc.) but nothing is showing up in the dictionary window. All the files are in the dictionary folder and I've tried it with two separate dictionaries (the default ru_RU one and the stardict dictionary) but still nothing shows up.
Any ideas?

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
Russian to English
+ ...
Yahoo list Jul 6, 2019

I don't know. If nobody answers here, please ask on the Yahoo list, where most of the developers are to be found: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/info

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Inflected forms in glossary/dictionary help (ru)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »